Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2020, 04:07 AM   #1
LouieR

Slide out Cable

I was checking my cables on the large slide and found what looks like a repair
this is a new 2020 outback 335CG, all the way in the chain lays on the top of the slide i'm sure its out of adjustment and the cable clamp rubs the other cable when moving,Just wondering if this is a normal factory set up or did they repair it from the factory or dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0033.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	25322   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0032.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	25323   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0034.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	25324  
LouieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:30 AM   #2
slow

Does not look normal for a new unit, but looks like the official repair kit.
Could have been installed at the factory or dealer.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:36 AM   #3
Gobirds38

Definitely a repair, since it is a 2020 I would have the dealer adjust it. If not there are a lot of how to videos on you Tube on how to adjust it. Looks pretty simple adjustment…

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
xrated

I would make the dealer remove it and install the OEM cable. Secondly, they installed BOTH cable clamps incorrectly. You NEVER saddle a dead horse....meaning that the saddle of the clamp is supposed to be on the "live" cable, not the dead end of the cable. They got it wrong and are Two for Two!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:10 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Check your Keystone warranty CAREFULLY !!!!! Slide adjustment is only covered during the first 90 days after the sale/delivery of the trailer.

Page 10 of the 2019/2020 Owner's Manual, the 4th bullet statement under "WHAT IS NOT COVERED"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:17 AM   #6
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
I've never seen a repair kit like that. The repair kit is a cable exactly like the OEM cables that comes on the trailer slide room.

And John is correct, slide adjust is only covered for 90 days. After that, you do it yourself or pay for the adjustment....unless you find a dealer that will offer up some goodwill....LOL!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #7
jsmith948

The repair kit we ordered from BAL is exactly like the one pictured. I don't know how you would use an OEM cable. You would have to unbolt the pulleys and guides as there isn't enough room between the pulleys to allow the threaded adjustment rod on the end of the cable to pass through. The replacement cable comes full length and is cut to fit after it is installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I've never seen a repair kit like that. The repair kit is a cable exactly like the OEM cables that comes on the trailer slide room.

And John is correct, slide adjust is only covered for 90 days. After that, you do it yourself or pay for the adjustment....unless you find a dealer that will offer up some goodwill....LOL!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
LouieR

Thanks for the input, the repair kits I have seen use a crimp and not cable clamps that rub the other cable, that's some thing I can do myself and make an adjustment. I picked this up at camping world going to send them the pics and see what they have to say, I'm sure i will get a good laugh.
Thank You
LouieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:09 PM   #9
Dave W

That's a DIY cable repair. It's as good as the OEM but doesn't use the crush thimble which needs a $35 special crimping tool (Home Depot/Lowe's). Have the dealer do it right. Save that kind of repair as an emergency traveling fix. Also have him adjust those cables. If his tech doesn't have the skills, it is easy tho a bit time consuming the first time with the learning curve and following the many on line videos. You only need 3 tools to do the adjustment - a 3/8" and a 7/16" combination wrenche and a pair of mid size Vise Grips and possibly a screw driver as a lever when tightening nuts.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:32 PM   #10
jsmith948

I have to apologize. The cable kit we ordered from BAL came with the ferrel that had to be crimped. It didn't come with clamps. Perhaps whomever made the repair didn't have a crimping tool.
As to why the cable was repaired on a new trailer, if the L bracket is out of adjustment, the cable can link right at the bracket and then can break if it isn't replaced.
Once again, sorry for the confusion.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:03 AM   #11
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
That does appear to be the official repair cable. Regardless, the cables are out of adjustment. BAL has the instructions on their interweb page.
Secondly, I carried that style of clamp with the spare cable I bought for my previous Cougar.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:05 AM   #12
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
I have to apologize. The cable kit we ordered from BAL came with the ferrel that had to be crimped. It didn't come with clamps. Perhaps whomever made the repair didn't have a crimping tool.
As to why the cable was repaired on a new trailer, if the L bracket is out of adjustment, the cable can link right at the bracket and then can break if it isn't replaced.
Once again, sorry for the confusion.
Indeed. I have seen reports on this forum in which some of the pulley mechanism is loose where it mounts. At times I ask what is worse-fully electric slides with rack and pinion, cable or hydraulic. They all have their weaknesses.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:46 AM   #13
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaniel View Post
Indeed. I have seen reports on this forum in which some of the pulley mechanism is loose where it mounts. At times I ask what is worse-fully electric slides with rack and pinion, cable or hydraulic. They all have their weaknesses.
We have six slides on our unit covering all three types. The only one with trouble so far was the cable slide. Third year with rig noticed in the fall one cable was frayed. By the time I got it to a shop it had broke. They said it was adjusted too tight replaced it and Keystone covered it. It was too tight from the factory and I had no idea.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, slide, slide out