Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2019, 06:46 AM   #1
Dave Gamble

Reception problem with bedroom TV

When we first installed the TV in the bedroom (antenna only) we could receive a few stations but not nearly as many as the TV in the living room. Then on our last trip there was no reception at all on the bedroom TV. Dave & I have both checked and rechecked to make sure everything is plugged in correctly and have scanned numerous times for stations to no avail. Any advise or suggestions?

The DW
Dave Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:57 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Just asking..Your sure the booster is ON? Have you done a scan at the other TV, and if so what kind of results do you get there? If the family room TV is doing good and the bedroom isn't with the booster on, then I would check the coax connections. It will depend on where the booster is located, since there will be a TV2 out on the back side and the bedroom may be connected there.

A little more information would help in this case.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:09 AM   #3
Dave Gamble

My understanding is the 2019 Cougars do not have a booster like previous models.

The scan on family room TV provides lots of stations. The scan on the bedroom TV provides no stations. We have checked and double checked to make sure the coax connections are correct. What's puzzling is we used to get a least a few stations on the bedroom TV.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:44 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

When doing your "channel scan" is it possible that your bedroom TV is in the Cable mode and not in the OTA mode ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:59 PM   #5
Dave Gamble

Yeah, I double checked I had scanned in the Cable mode. This last trip when we got no stations on the bedroom TV we were camping at the fairgrounds in Greenville, Ohio and got 25 stations on the living room TV. Can't figure out the problem. I hope it's not the wiring in the wall.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:12 PM   #6
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gamble View Post
My understanding is the 2019 Cougars do not have a booster like previous models.
Hm. Mine certainly does. Little pushbutton and green LED on a wallplate.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:29 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Take the coax off and inspect the ends. I’ve seen center wire too long (shorting out) and too short ( bad/no connection). You can get a simple coax tester at your local big box hardware store.

Depending on what booster you have, I’ve seen a few of the type Keystone likes to use, fail at the TV2 connection.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:53 PM   #8
Dave Gamble

LHaven Are you talking about a pushbutton and green LED on a wallplate located behind where the TV is in the living room? We don't have one. The only thing we have is a compartment outside on the back of the camper. Inside it says KeyTV and there are 2 hookup for either cable or satellite TV. Do you have the KeyTV system in your camper? I see you have the Western edition so could be the reason our campers are different.

https://www.keystonerv.com/upper-nav...-into-your-rv/
Old 06-30-2019, 03:56 PM   #9
Dave Gamble

Thanks Chuckster57. I'll check those coax cables. We don't have a booster.
We have the new KeyTV system.

https://www.keystonerv.com/upper-nav...-into-your-rv/
Old 06-30-2019, 04:01 PM   #10
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gamble View Post
LHaven Are you talking about a pushbutton and green LED on a wallplate located behind where the TV is in the living room?

Do you have the KeyTV system in your camper?
Nope, I have the traditional equipment.

The KeyTV system has a booster in it, you just can't control it. But given the way the black box is described, and the fact that your main room TV works, it's not probable that its booster has failed. I would look for a fault in the line running from that box to your bedroom. Luckily, due to the way this new system is engineered, that should be a pretty straightforward procedure.

Another thing you could do is get a little portable TV, disconnect the bedroom cable from the KeyTV box, attach a short cable between the KeyTV box and your portable, and see what happens. That will tell you whether the fault is in your bedroom cable or outlet, or whether the port on the KeyTV is faulty.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:53 PM   #11
Dave Gamble

Thanks LHaven. Why couldn't it have been as easy as pushing the booster button? lol I'm first going to check those coax cables like Chuckster57 suggested but if that doesn't do the trick then Dave will have to check/test the line. Thanks for your help and everyone else here who replied. It's very much appreciated. The DW

I just realized I never said what camper we have. Duh! Sorry about that. It's a 2019 Cougar 26RBS
Old 06-30-2019, 07:58 PM   #12
Old Mustanger

Maybe a silly question but are you sure it's not the television itself went bad? You might want to try plugging the coax from the working TV into it and see if you get anything.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:47 AM   #13
LHaven

One other test that may be fast and easy if you have access to a long coax cable is just to unplug the bedroom cable from the central unit, plug in the long cable, then just string it through the doorway into the back of the bedroom TV. If the bedroom TV starts working, obviously it's the cable in the wall.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:27 AM   #14
Dave Gamble

It's working now! Dave replaced the previous 5', wound up coax cable and with a 1' cable and he could get 22 stations; however, when he moved that same TV from the bedroom to the living room and connected it he got 36 stations. He did check the lines and everything looked good. Not sure why less stations in the bedroom but it's better then nothing!

Thanks for everyone's comments and advise.

The DW

Tags
bed, bedroom