Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2023, 02:55 PM   #1
flugelboneman

Adjusting Slide Cables on 27RES Cougar

Would anyone have an guideline for how much time a tech expends to adjust slide cables. I realize every job is different, depending on how much out of sync the cables are, but I am curious to know if there is a bit of a set time to do this kind of job. My slide is fine and retracts and goes out but i feel the cables are a bit loose. Once while letting the slide out, I got a bit of a bang or a thump, but it worked fine. I am learning that when cables are operating, there is a chance that the brackets might collide when passing if the cables are loose.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 03:13 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know what they say the spend. You might call a CW and ask how many hours it shows to adjust them and the hourly rate (for grins). They (at least mine) use a standardized book much like an automotive book that gives hours for all labor items. An independent tech service would probably differ....maybe better, maybe worse.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 03:25 PM   #3
dutchmensport

Tightening the cables in a slide is extremally easy. All you do is tighten the turn buckle bolt at the end and tighten it, like a bicycle brake cable. Once the tension is off and it feels somewhat tight with just a bit of up and down spring, it's tight. It takes all of 5 minutes to do this (or less). And I would never pay someone else to tension mine. It's just too easy to do myself. You can do it too. Watch a few Youtube videos on adjusting and fixing RV slide cables and you'll see how simple this really is. Even for someone else who has never done this, the most difficult part will be to figure out how to gain access to the end of the cables, sometimes by removing the fascia above the interior of the slide out. Once removed, all of 5 minutes, simply to tighten and run the slide in and out a couple times to check the tension.

Tags
cable, cougar, slide