Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2023, 04:50 PM   #1
b1pig

Odd "issue" with gas stoves & regulator(s)?

Last week we took our first "real" trip with the camper. Rolling into day 2, I found an issue with the stoves inside and outside. Neither would light. Turned on valves, but I couldn't hear any gas flow.

On the outside stove, I took the cover off and looked things over as it was the second attempt at making breakfast. Found a small regulator in the stove, which I wasn't surprised to see.... I found gas pressure in the line when I inserted/removed the gas line. There was gas in both tanks and the regultor/selector on the front indicated gas pressure. Still could get gas to flow.

Ultimately what I did was disconnect both tanks, then bled all the gas out of the line at the back of the trailer at the outside stove connector. Once I bled the pressure off, I reconnected the tanks and opened the valve. The regulator flag flopped out of view in the glass indicating pressure. Went to the outside stove and turned the valve and got good flow and lit the burners. No issues. Verified same result inside as well.

Only thing I can guess is that I left the gas on through day 1, overnight into day 2. Maybe the front regulator allowed an overpressure state in the line and both of the stove's regulators would not allow gas flow due to overpressure?

I'm guessing. I'm not a gas stove kinda preson. My homes have been all electric since I moved out on my own at 18... and charcoal grills are my go-to for outdoor chefery.... so uh... any insight is appreciated.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 05:01 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

When you turn the gas on did you open the valve SLOWLY? Opening it fast can cause the issue you had.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 04:23 AM   #3
notanlines

What Chuck^^^^said was your trouble. Bank on it.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 10:39 AM   #4
NH_Bulldog

Opening tank valves too fast can mimic a gas leak and the regulator will shut down what it "thinks" is excessive flow.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 04:07 PM   #5
bobbecky

This is a cutaway photo of the excess flow valve in the pigtail connector nut that sets and restricts gas flow if you open the valve too fast. The arrow points to the ball that closes of most of the gas flow when activated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lp-type-i-excess-flow-cutaway-ball.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	44353  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 05:23 PM   #6
b1pig

Seems likely. I don't recall the rate at which I spun the valve, but yea. Something I'll pay attention to next time.

Thing is, I opened the valves on the tank and then cooked breakfast on day 1, then never turned the gas off. When I tried to cook the next morning is when I experienced the no-flow issue.

But, hey. I'll pay attention next time and see what happens.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas