Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2022, 04:36 AM   #1
Andrew262BH

after market external ladders?

hello all-

would one be able to add a external rear ladder to a 2021 Hideout 262BH?

if so - what would be the best/ most appropriate manuf to use

thanks
Andrew262BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 04:51 AM   #2
Max23

I realize this is an old post, but I beleive it holds true today.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=28726
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 05:00 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

If not factory installed, I would would NOT attempt to add one. Besides the lack of sufficient structure on the rear wall and roof to anchor the ladder to, the roof sheathing is inadequate to walk on. A majority of people that do have a ladder from the factory, don’t use it. I have a compact telescoping ladder that I store in the camper so I can access the roof anytime, anywhere.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 07:39 PM   #4
CaribouHunter

I was debating about adding a ladder as well... Then I purchased a collapsible ladder...Works great and also works other places other than just the camper.
CaribouHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 07:38 AM   #5
RKDowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
If not factory installed, I would would NOT attempt to add one. Besides the lack of sufficient structure on the rear wall and roof to anchor the ladder to, the roof sheathing is inadequate to walk on. A majority of people that do have a ladder from the factory, don’t use it. I have a compact telescoping ladder that I store in the camper so I can access the roof anytime, anywhere.
That works great if the ground is level. But if the ground were always level we wouldn't need telescoping front jacks and leveling boards for the wheels, would we? Where I store mine, next to my garage, the ground's not level at all; If I used a regular ladder it would not be vertical and I'd probably slide to the side and hit the ground before I reached the roof. Looking for the right thickness rock to level it - and trusting it! - is not fun. I'd much rather use a regular ladder than the wimpy narrow thing on the back, but it's the safest option I have.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:05 AM   #6
KevinRC

I have a 2017 Keystone Hideout 178LHS.

Called Keystone about adding a ladder and the said, oh no..Roof not structurally sound to walk on.

Thinking about adding a telescoping one just in case.

Just make sure you have some wood around to level the base BEFORE you climb.

All the best!
Kevin
Old 06-12-2023, 11:39 AM   #7
oldnjrver

I see two issues.

1) walk on roof - I have a manual that says my model has a walk on roof. I have been up there a number of times with no apparent problem. Do they address that point in your owner's manual?

2) Mine came with no ladder with no mention of one in the manual.. Other posts I've read seem to indicate that when a ladder comes standard, the frame at the attachment points is reinforced to support the ladder. So I would check with the manufacturer to see if that was an option for your RV and If so, where could/should it be attached.

Ladders also represent a temptation for local kids to try out and could be a potential liability.

Just my $.02

Safe travels and all the best.
oldnjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 07:23 AM   #8
KevinRC

I concur.

What I failed to mention is that Keystone also told me that "structurally", lack of 2x4 studs in the rear, thus NO ladder originally that this also told me.." no, Don't go there!"

I was able to seal the roof seams and vent penetrations without having to be "on" the roof. The antenna, which I have yet to tackle, has a piece of plywood waiting in the wings.

Kevin

Tags
ladder