Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2019, 09:13 AM   #1
gkainz

Winterizing - crap! Forgot one!

Things that wake you up in the middle of the night and won't let you go back to sleep ...

2 am, 17°F - I woke up out of a dead sleep realizing that during yesterday's rushed winterizing, I missed one. I use the handheld shower hose to pump antifreeze into the black tank clean out line, and then forgot about the city water connection. We seldom use it, and I forgot it.

Collective memory comparison with my wife this morning we both came up with - "yep - first trip of the year in May included a stay at full hookups, including city water" ...

So, I wonder what the odds are that there was still water in that section of line? I suspect there was - since Murphy lives here.

I guess when it warms up again here, I'll have to go exploring under the cabinets and probably the underbelly coroplast.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:05 AM   #2
Eastham

Not to late pump some antifreeze into the line with the outside shower valves open until it comes out.you really have nothing to loose.it might prevent it from freezing.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

How did you winterize? Do you have a "convenience center" where you turn a valve to winterize or do you have a separate hose and valve on the pump inself?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
Not to late pump some antifreeze into the line with the outside shower valves open until it comes out.you really have nothing to loose.it might prevent it from freezing.
yeah - I thought about that, but in the event that it has already froze and possibly split something, I'm not ready to deal with antifreeze in the vanity and/or belly. It's going back up to the 60s in the next few days, so I'll deal with it next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
How did you winterize? Do you have a "convenience center" where you turn a valve to winterize or do you have a separate hose and valve on the pump inself?
separate valve and hose on the pump ...
Old 10-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

If you have a separate hose and valve directly on the pump then the only section of water line in danger is from the city water connection to where that line intersects the pump discharge.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If you have a separate hose and valve directly on the pump then the only section of water line in danger is from the city water connection to where that line intersects the pump discharge.
That's about what I figured, as well. I'll need to find out where that line from the bulkhead connector joins the water line system and watch for leaks there. I assume the only check valve is built into the city water bulkhead connector? Maybe?
Old 10-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

I believe it should have a check valve behind that exterior inlet and one at the discharge of the pump. This is why so many people (me included) use a hose fitting to pump compressed air thru the city water inlet and blow out as much water as possible then follow up with the "pink stuff"

Tags
winter, winterizing