Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2019, 10:03 AM   #1
Teosails

Axle upgrade

Hello RVer's,
I am wanting to upgrade my 6000 lb axles to 7000 lb. Can I just replace the axle beam, or do I have to replace the whole brake, wheel, etc? I am also going to upgrade my equalizers and shocks. Looking for a smoother ride; any help is appreciated.
Also, does anyone know the length of the axles on a 2007 Challenger 29TRL? I can measure, but if someone already knows... that would be great.
Teosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Axles come with the spindle, so you'll need to know the number of screws that mount the backing plate (brakes). that will tell you if the hardware, drums and wheels will fit. 10" brakes use 4 screws and 12" brakes use 5.

crawl underneath and look at the back of the backing plate, count the screws and your on your way.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:56 PM   #3
Teosails

I crawled under the 5er... 5 bolts and the tag on the axle says HF=86.5" SC=68.5". Now my question is... I can't find any Dexter axles, online, that have those numbers. Am I going to have to have something custom made?
Teosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:58 PM   #4
IMASAP

This place will make you any length you like....

https://thetrailerpartsoutlet.com/trailer-axles-/
IMASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:53 AM   #5
Sluggo

I am researching the same thing and found that to go from my 5.2k's to 7k's would require swapping over to 8 lug wheels or at least that is how the complete axles are sold. Make sure your hubs/axles/springs/wheels/tires are all rated for the 7k setup. I decided to go from 5.2 to 6 to minimize the cost of swapping wheels. I need tires already and have a bent axle, so now is the time for me. Thetrailerpartsoutlet was also the best deal I could find online. Checking with a couple local places but I doubt they can match it. They only deliver free to businesses, so plan on $150 more to get it to the house. Please post an update if you have one.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
The John

Depending on how things are mechanically, it can be easier to get the whole assembly then trying to unbolt and rebolt things together.
The John is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, upgrade