Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2018, 07:00 PM   #41
jack65

Here is what it looks like a week after the last pic posted in last post.
Worse, but not spreading as fast now. The heat wave is past for now.
When I go camping, I have a 6x4 UW Husky banner I'm going to velcro on the front area that will hide that. Lot's of Husky fans in WA and I've seen others do it.
Will look better for now till I have the time to fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06a-web.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	17848   Click image for larger version

Name:	07a-web.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	17849  
K&N 71-1561 Air Intake w/FlowMaster Exhaust system.
jack65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:09 PM   #42
AV3NGER

I'm on week 3 of 4 week cross Canada road trip from Ontario to BC, my vacation almost ended before it began because of a similar issue to yours. I too noticed wrinkling on the front near the top, it was a undetected small water leak that caused the joint seam to fail and separate.

By the time I got to Saskatchewan the winds on the Highway were blowing at 90kms/hr (felt like 110). When I arrived at my campground the top of the front cover tore open, leaving a gaping hole. I took it to an RV dealer soon as I crossed into Alberta and they didn't want to touch it. So I took it 10 mins down the Hwy to a trailer repair shop. The guy got me back on the road in under 2 hours after forcing the gap shut with double joint rails screwed down tightly with 6 tubes of Dicor to completely seal the work that was done.

After reading different comments on how expensive it was for some folks to do a full repair, I might just live with it. But I feel the same as you do, I hate to look at it. I like the idea of covering it up when the trailer is parked. You should keep a close eye on that area of your trailer to ensure it doesn't get worse.

I think Keystone dropped the ball somewhere with this design/application of the front cover, I think someone here commented that Keystone is switching to solid moulded front caps, I agree with that. I also feel they should help/assist with cost of repairs. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180804-220243_Video%20Player.jpeg
Views:	235
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	17875Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180804-220414_Gallery.jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	17876
AV3NGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:16 PM   #43
cvin

Questions for the rv gurus on here

once you have that leak/issue sealed that causes this delamination it is mostly a cosmetic issue correct?

Is there some reason we cannot seal the seams good and cover the front of these trailers with diamondplate?
Or would it be too much weight?
Old 08-05-2018, 04:36 AM   #44
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvin View Post
Questions for the rv gurus on here

once you have that leak/issue sealed that causes this delamination it is mostly a cosmetic issue correct?

Is there some reason we cannot seal the seams good and cover the front of these trailers with diamondplate?
Or would it be too much weight?
You could, just my opinion, though. It would add weight. If it was me, I'd go as light as possible to cover it up. No need for armor plating.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:05 AM   #45
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a plastic sheeting (looks and feels like diamond plate) available. Many of the light weight trailer manufacturers are using that to replace the diamond plate on the "stone/kick panels" along the front lower part of their RV's. I have seen it in catalogs and in some RV service centers, but don't know if it costs the same, is more or less expensive than aluminum/steel diamond plate. If it were me, I'd at least research the product and see if it might save weight and serve to protect the lower part of the front panel repairs. It's "cosmetic" after the repair is completely, but I wouldn't want diamond plate on the upper part of my front cap. That's a personal preference, not a structural decision. YMMV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:17 AM   #46
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV3NGER View Post
I'm on week 3 of 4 week cross Canada road trip from Ontario to BC, my vacation almost ended before it began because of a similar issue to yours. I too noticed wrinkling on the front near the top, it was a undetected small water leak that caused the joint seam to fail and separate.

By the time I got to Saskatchewan the winds on the Highway were blowing at 90kms/hr (felt like 110). When I arrived at my campground the top of the front cover tore open, leaving a gaping hole. I took it to an RV dealer soon as I crossed into Alberta and they didn't want to touch it. So I took it 10 mins down the Hwy to a trailer repair shop. The guy got me back on the road in under 2 hours after forcing the gap shut with double joint rails screwed down tightly with 6 tubes of Dicor to completely seal the work that was done.

After reading different comments on how expensive it was for some folks to do a full repair, I might just live with it. But I feel the same as you do, I hate to look at it. I like the idea of covering it up when the trailer is parked. You should keep a close eye on that area of your trailer to ensure it doesn't get worse.

I think Keystone dropped the ball somewhere with this design/application of the front cover, I think someone here commented that Keystone is switching to solid moulded front caps, I agree with that. I also feel they should help/assist with cost of repairs. Attachment 17875Attachment 17876

From the pic it looks like the repair guy did a pretty good job IMO; looks about like my factory seam...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:35 PM   #47
cvin

I was interested in the diamond plate mainly because the only place on my trailer that seems to fade is the front panel

And from what others said repairing this delamination is pricey so seems like it would be an option for some people to fix it

I plan to sell this trailer before it delaminates- hopefully....

Will research the plastic looking stuff just in case
Old 08-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #48
jack65

I'm going to fix mine in September and sell it ASAP and buy a new trailer next time, no more used ones for me... this has left a very sour taste in my mouth.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:07 PM   #49
cvin

I hate to tell you this but new campers suck too

The delamination issue is a problem on a lot of them

And new campers have tons of problems also, they all do

Do some research

I wish instead of a 1 year old caamper i had bought one well taken care of and repaired that was 15 years old
Old 08-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #50
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack65 View Post
Went back to check on it after two days from the last picture I posted to see if there was any change. YUP It's gotten bigger. Look at both pics you'll see it got bigger, creeping closer to the center of stripes and on the left. It's been in the 90's for several days now and hasn't rained in 2-3 weeks.
Not to rain (no pun intended) on your parade but have you checked the interior on the TT. The area around the closets. That is how Holiday RV in Havasu found that it was in fact a water leak and not just wrinkling. The luan will be very soft or feel punky.
It is not a job for the inexperienced not saying you are but as chuckster57/JRTJH said quite labour intensive. Sorry I did not take pictures during the repair but the whole front end including the bedroom cabinets, etc. has to come off to do it properly.
You can call Ron Francis the SM at Holiday RV to see what the newer product is called. As I mentioned in an earlier post it's much heavier and has fiberglass matting infused.
Good luck in your repair I'm sure you will get it done.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #51
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Not to rain (no pun intended) on your parade but have you checked the interior on the TT. The area around the closets. That is how Holiday RV in Havasu found that it was in fact a water leak and not just wrinkling. The luan will be very soft or feel punky.
I'll take a good look tomorrow.

It is not a job for the inexperienced not saying you are but as chuckster57/JRTJH said quite labour intensive.
I'm worried about that as I've never worked on any trailers in the past.

Sorry I did not take pictures during the repair but the whole front end including the bedroom cabinets, etc. has to come off to do it properly.Bedroom cabinets? Those are in the rear. My problem is in the front and the problem is outside, not inside, (unless I have a leak)

You can call Ron Francis the SM at Holiday RV to see what the newer product is called. As I mentioned in an earlier post it's much heavier and has fiberglass matting infused.
Good luck in your repair I'm sure you will get it done.
I replied in red in above posts. Had to say this as I got this message:
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:26 PM   #52
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvin View Post
I hate to tell you this but new campers suck too

The delamination issue is a problem on a lot of them

And new campers have tons of problems also, they all do

Do some research

I wish instead of a 1 year old caamper i had bought one well taken care of and repaired that was 15 years old
New trailers comes with warranty, older trailers do not.
Older trailers, you have no idea how the trailer was taken care of. It a big "maybe & maybe not".
Big difference!
Old 08-07-2018, 12:06 AM   #53
cvin

lol, read all the great warranty stories on here
Old 08-07-2018, 05:22 AM   #54
66joej

Yes jack65 I looked at your floorplan and see the bedroom is in the rear. Look at the luan in the area of the wrinkling for deterioration.

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 08-07-2018, 06:25 AM   #55
jack65

Quote:
Yes jack65 I looked at your floorplan and see the bedroom is in the rear. Look at the luan in the area of the wrinkling for deterioration.
OK, you can tell I'm a newbie with trailers (I've tent camped all my life) as I have no idea why I'm suppose looking in the bedroom area when my problem is in the top front? Also is the luan the cabinet and storage spaces?
Old 08-07-2018, 06:53 AM   #56
66joej

Quote:
OK, you can tell I'm a newbie with trailers (I've tent camped all my life) as I have no idea why I'm suppose looking in the bedroom area when my problem is in the top front? Also is the luan the cabinet and storage spaces?
Sorry perhaps I didn't explain clearly enough. First off I thought your TT had the normal front bedroom. The luan is the wallboard lining the inside walls of your TT. The stuff with the pretty patterns. If it feels soft/punky in the area of where your Filon is wrinkling have it looked at by an RV tech. He/she would be able to tell you if it is water damage or not. Insurance adjuster is another option. JMHO

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 08-07-2018, 07:03 AM   #57
jack65

Quote:
Sorry perhaps I didn't explain clearly enough. First off I thought your TT had the normal front bedroom. The luan is the wallboard lining the inside walls of your TT. The stuff with the pretty patterns. If it feels soft/punky in the area of where your Filon is wrinkling have it looked at by an RV tech. He/she would be able to tell you if it is water damage or not. Insurance adjuster is another option. JMHO
OK, now I understand.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #58
AV3NGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
From the pic it looks like the repair guy did a pretty good job IMO; looks about like my factory seam...
Yessir, he did an amazing job, and only charged me 1hr labor I was in there for 2. I love small town businesses.
AV3NGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:42 PM   #59
jack65

Quote:
For some reason, the outside looks much better today??? Maybe the material shrunk? See photo attached. The mild heat wave we've had hasn't changed, no rain for a month either.

I looked very closely and felt the top to bottom of the luan front inside and didn't see or feel anything. Pic attached, (just showing what the front looked like as you wouldn't see anything in a photo anyways).

Also I notice my neighbor had his big trailer, bought at the same RV place as mine, (coincidence???) brought it across from his place to load it up for vacation, had just as bad of bubbles as mine. I didn't want to embarrass him so I didn't take a picture while talking to him. I did take one from my place, 5 houses up the hill, so you can't really see the bubbles, but you can see what kind of trailer. Like some of you said, this seems to be fairly common now that I'm looking.

NOTE: forgot to add... when I asked him about the bubbles, he said he had no idea how it happened and didn't really care. He has four rambunctious kids. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0808181111b-web.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	17949   Click image for larger version

Name:	0808181113-web.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	17950   Click image for larger version

Name:	0807182041b-web.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	17951  
Old 08-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #60
66joej

Quote:
For some reason, the outside looks much better today??? Maybe the material shrunk? See photo attached. The mild heat wave we've had hasn't changed, no rain for a month either.

I looked very closely and felt the top to bottom of the luan front inside and didn't see or feel anything. Pic attached, (just showing what the front looked like as you wouldn't see anything in a photo anyways).

Also I notice my neighbor had his big trailer, bought at the same RV place as mine, (coincidence???) brought it across from his place to load it up for vacation, had just as bad of bubbles as mine. I didn't want to embarrass him so I didn't take a picture while talking to him. I did take one from my place, 5 houses up the hill, so you can't really see the bubbles, but you can see what kind of trailer. Like some of you said, this seems to be fairly common now that I'm looking.

NOTE: forgot to add... when I asked him about the bubbles, he said he had no idea how it happened and didn't really care. He has four rambunctious kids. LOL
Good to hear no water leaks!
Go out and enjoy that TT. Lots of them have some "defects?" if they can be called that. As read in other posts not a deal breaker.

2018 Cougar 27RESWE

Tags
outback