Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2018, 07:43 AM   #1
RoscoeV

Second AC Installation Question

I'm looking to install a second AC unit in my Laredo 325RL and have a few questions. My primary AC unit is a Coleman-Mach, should I add the same brand for consistency or does it even matter?

Second question - Since I'm adding the unit to the front of the 5ver (bedroom), should I look at a low profile unit which are ~8in tall or does the extra 4 inches in the standard units make a difference?

Thanks!
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
tech740

I just added a second unit to mine in the front also. My opinion is that the brand doesn’t matter unless one is more reliable than the other. As far as the height I would think if you are not concerned about hitting things(close to 13’6”) I wouldn’t worry about that either. Low profile probably won’t add to your aerodynamics with a 5er in tow. Just my thoughts.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:59 AM   #3
RoscoeV

Thanks Tech, What model did you install? The Dometic Brisk Air II seems to be less expensive than others and the reviews look pretty good. I'll have to measure my overall height tomorrow.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Old 06-29-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
Movin' on

I added a Dometic Penguin II (I think that's correct, it's been a couple years ago). It's a low profile, 13.5 btu, that matched the factory ac. We have been very pleased with it. I was concerned with the overall height, that's why I chose the low profile.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
tech740

We did a domestic duo therm. It was a used unit off my parents old not home that was being turned into a demolition derby vehicle. I am still only 12’6” even without low profile so I had no worries.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
Badbart56

Last year I was looking to add another unit to my Toy Hauler and ran across PPL RV Parts out of Texas. I wasn't particularly looking for the same unit but they just so happened to have some "scratch and dent" A/C's and made me an incredible price on two Coleman Mach III's of the 15000 variety. As you might expect, I was concerned as to the extent of the "scratch and dent" damage. The only issue was that the covers on both units had some minor warpage. And honestly. I believe that has gone away since they have been exposed to a little Florida heat and sunshine! Still had the 2 year warranty. I've had them in service full time since last November without a hiccup. And having three units, it is nice that they match!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:03 PM   #7
RoscoeV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Last year I was looking to add another unit to my Toy Hauler and ran across PPL RV Parts out of Texas. I wasn't particularly looking for the same unit but they just so happened to have some "scratch and dent" A/C's and made me an incredible price on two Coleman Mach III's of the 15000 variety. As you might expect, I was concerned as to the extent of the "scratch and dent" damage. The only issue was that the covers on both units had some minor warpage. And honestly. I believe that has gone away since they have been exposed to a little Florida heat and sunshine! Still had the 2 year warranty. I've had them in service full time since last November without a hiccup. And having three units, it is nice that they match!
Thanks, I'll have to check them out.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Old 06-29-2018, 01:07 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

PPLmotorhomes.com is the largest consigner of RVs on the planet. Their parts department is well stocked and they ship fast. Bought a Brisk II 15K BTU yesterday AM and it was delivered today FREE. They don't have the absolute lowest price but are close and have free shipping and are legit. Find a place that has lower prices and then go look them up on the BBB. PPLmotorhomes is in Houston and has other lots in New Braunfels and Cleburne but their parts store is Houston.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:39 PM   #9
RoscoeV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
PPLmotorhomes.com is the largest consigner of RVs on the planet. Their parts department is well stocked and they ship fast. Bought a Brisk II 15K BTU yesterday AM and it was delivered today FREE. They don't have the absolute lowest price but are close and have free shipping and are legit. Find a place that has lower prices and then go look them up on the BBB. PPLmotorhomes is in Houston and has other lots in New Braunfels and Cleburne but their parts store is Houston.
Thanks George, good information.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Old 07-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #10
slufoot733

Roscoe, a suggestion if I may. I suspect your A/C unit is controlled by a wall mounted thermostat. Many units are pre-wired for that second A/C unit, i.e. the thermostat can control both units.
When I had a second unit installed I told the tech to NOT connect it to the thermostat, to just set it up to be controlled independently with the knobs that come with it. That way, IF the thermostat malfunctions you can at least run the second unit without the thermostat. A friend had two A/C units and the thermostat failed. Both units were down, and he roasted all week.
Just a thought.
slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:09 AM   #11
RoscoeV

Slufoot,

I ordered the Brisk Air II and it should be here on the 12th. I plan on installing it on the weekend of the 28th while my son is visiting (I'll let him carry it up the ladder). It's supposed to be pre-wired and has the support bracket in place. Since it's going in the bedroom I don't think it's necessary to connect to the thermostat. We will just turn it on when needed to cool down the bedroom prior to going to bed. That's a good point about having a backup in case the thermostat craps out, I didn't think about that.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Old 07-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #12
xrated

All this talk about adding a second A/C unit drove me over the edge. After our last outing a couple of weeks ago, trying to cool the entire 35' Toy Hauler just was too much for the 15K unit that came with the trailer. We used to close the door between the living area and the garage, as mostly it's just Peggy and I. Well now that we have our little puppy and we are using the garage area for his crate and where he sleeps, that door is almost always open and the A/C just wasn't keeping up during the afternoons. So, I started looking around and after the suggestion about PPL Motorhomes, I found a Dometic Brisk II for a great price. My setup will be a non-ducted and I'm going to use a wall mounted thermostat since the A/C unit will be pretty far back in the garage....And almost impossible to reach the controls with out using a step stool, even when the sofa and bed is raised up. So the work will soon begin as I will get it week after next as the black wall thermostat was out of stock and will have to be ordered. Everything ships free, and that's a bonus.....Houston to Maryville, TN.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #13
Pull Toy

IMHO.... match the existing unit with the appropriate "Low Profile" for the front bedroom... Pure ascetics, and RESALE!

When you go to sell, try to look like factory!... "OH, MY, it must be too hot in there... they had to add an EXTRA A/C...!!! Make it look like "Genuine Factory"!

They're all good, or they wouldn't still be selling stuff, and they're all about the same price!

"The cheapest thing on a camper, is the Guy/Gal that's driving it!!"

Good Luck

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #14
14george

Just added a second ac matches the other one. I agree with Pull Toy
Old 07-07-2018, 02:12 AM   #15
DocP

I just added a second Dometic Brisk Air II to the bedroom, and it makes a world of difference. I went with the 15,000 model. It is loud, but tolerable. I used my Little Giant ladder to push it up to the roof (one leg at 90 degrees and the other long leg at about 45 degrees). Once to the roofline, it was easy to flip it up on top. The toughest part of the install was scraping all of the old caulk in the roof from the vent that came out
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:38 AM   #16
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
I just added a second Dometic Brisk Air II to the bedroom, and it makes a world of difference. I went with the 15,000 model. It is loud, but tolerable. I used my Little Giant ladder to push it up to the roof (one leg at 90 degrees and the other long leg at about 45 degrees). Once to the roofline, it was easy to flip it up on top. The toughest part of the install was scraping all of the old caulk in the roof from the vent that came out
I took a vent off of a 7' x 16' enclosed trailer that I had and put an A/C unit there back in 2012, and you're right...getting all that caulk off was a major pain in the posterior area. I've got that to look forward to again.

This time, since I've got a carport for the Toy Hauler, I'm going to rig a rope hoist that I have to the cross bracing in carport roof area, pull the trailer out from under it, place the A/C unit on the rope hoist and hoist it up....then back the trailer under it and lower it down onto the roof. The rope hoist is a 4 to 1 reduction, so I should only be "pulling about 25 lbs up.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:39 AM   #17
Pull Toy

One thing we haven't mentioned, regardless of brand name, is important to note. Once you've horsed the A/C up a ladder onto the roof, let it "rest" in a level position for at least two hours before testing it. This gives the Freon time to drain back to where it belongs in the system.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #18
RoscoeV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
One thing we haven't mentioned, regardless of brand name, is important to note. Once you've horsed the A/C up a ladder onto the roof, let it "rest" in a level position for at least two hours before testing it. This gives the Freon time to drain back to where it belongs in the system.

Good Luck,

Good point, thanks! Another question; Are these air conditioners as finicky as refrigerators as far as how level they have to be without damaging the unit?

Thanks
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Old 07-07-2018, 09:04 AM   #19
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post

Good Luck,
You are basically correct....except that it's the oil that is in the refrigerant that needs to be allowed to drain. A compressor cannot compress a liquid...like the oil is....but it can compress a gas....which the freon is as it returns to the low side of the compressor.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:06 AM   #20
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeV View Post
Good point, thanks! Another question; Are these air conditioners as finicky as refrigerators as far as how level they have to be without damaging the unit?

Thanks
No they aren't!