Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2018, 08:02 AM   #1
DOWva

Hot Water Heater

Replaced my hot water heater pressure valve and waiting to see if the valve leaks or releases water, however when you flip the electric hot water switch to the on position the red light comes on, my questions is does the light turn off after a while or not?

Doug & Diane * Richmond,VA
2014 Keystone Cougar
M-315 High Country 5th Wheel
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 392 Hemi

AirLifts
DOWva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #2
Howie

DOWva, are you talking about the switch on the control panel inside the 5er or the electric on off switch on the water heater outside? My unit does not have a light outside, just the on off switch and no light inside letting you know it is switched to on. If you are talking about the control panel inside I beleive that light is an indicator of the DSI being on, not the electric unit. If yours has the indicator for the electric being on I don't believe it would go off unless the switch is turned off.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
AbHDToyHauler

The red light is for the gas system. When it lights properly (if you have gas valves open etc) then after a few seconds the red light goes out and that means its lit with gas and all is well. When you turn on the electrical portion (if you have it , it can be optional) the switch for it is inside the water heater cover outside. Make sure there is water in the water heater before turning that switch on and make sure to turn it off when tearing down to travel or you can easily burn it out. You can have both on . There is no indicator the electric is on (at least that I have seen). Just the switch on and breaker on.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
DOWva

Thanks for replying, I do have 2 switches inside the 5ver when I turn the electric hot water switch on the switch has a light in it that comes on. So it appears the light is just an alert that the hot water heater is on. I had a leaking problem with the pressure valve on the wh and replaced it just wanted to make sure there was not any additional problems with it since the light was on.

Doug & Diane * Richmond,VA
2014 Keystone Cougar
M-315 High Country 5th Wheel
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 392 Hemi

AirLifts
DOWva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #5
66joej

[QUOTE=AbHDToyHauler;293021 When you turn on the electrical portion (if you have it , it can be optional) the switch for it is inside the water heater cover outside. Make sure there is water in the water heater before turning that switch on and make sure to turn it off when tearing down to travel or you can easily burn it out.[/QUOTE]

I believe the electric part is 110 volt so no problem if left on when travelling. But a good practice to turn it off.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #6
bobbecky

Both those switches are 12 volts DC. The gas side switch tells the gas valve to open and the igniter to light the gas, and while this is happening there is a little light that turns on separate from the rocker switch that indicates this is working. The electric switch actuates a relay at the water heater that sends 120 volts to the heater element. Both the rocker switches have a diode light that indicates the switch is in the on position.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, hot water heater, water, water heater