Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2018, 05:44 AM   #1
rsv4pilot

Why isn't A/C in Fuzion garage ducted around the Bed?

Kinda silly to have an A/C blocked by the Bed during the day when it is up and out of the way of the garage. Seem's like they could have put in a couple ducts like in the front bedroom to clear the bed and pump cool air down into the garage area.

Has anyone made this mod on their own, will it work with the A/C unit that is installed in the garage??

2018 Fuzion 371
rsv4pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:00 AM   #2
Path2ground

Our 2018 369 Fuzion is setup the same. The vents open on all 4 sides which funnels the air over the top and sides of the bed, so there really is no need for additional vents. However, if you have a thick comforter I could see that causing restriction to the air over the top of the bed when it is up, but if that does happen, the one vent should be clear of the bed either way. At least that is how our ac is in our garage.
Path2ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:03 AM   #3
rsv4pilot

Yea, the three inch memory foam topper is the issue.

Maybe i'll just drill some holes and lower the bed a foot or so when it's stowed...
Old 06-20-2018, 06:04 AM   #4
Path2ground

Why isn't A/C in Fuzion garage ducted around the Bed?

On another note, it might be easier to drill holes in the lift frame so the pins can be inserted an inch or two lower so the bed can have more clearance to the ceiling in the up position. That would provide more airflow around the top and sides that you are looking for without the work to add new vents. Just a thought.
Path2ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

They have same issue with just a Fan in that area. DUMB !!!!
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:14 PM   #6
Signguy71

In my 427 the air conditioner is not over the bed.
Signguy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:03 PM   #7
infantryofficer81

Our 420 is set up the same way. The air does circulate to the rear of the bed and down the 3 season doors. I was necessarily happy with that so I measured down the frame so the bottom bed would be high enough to clear by Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail. Then I positioned the top bed where I wanted it and drilled new holes. My top bunk is about 2-3 feet lower from the AC unit. Garage cools off faster now.

Dennis & Jackie
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW, 6.7L CTD
2016 Fuzion 420 Chrome Toy Hauler
2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail SE
2020 Spyder RT Limited (Deep Marsala Red)
infantryofficer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:17 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't think any of us will ever get a response from Keystone as to "WHY" they do the things they do in designing trailers. My guess would be that most RV's are designed by engineers who have never slept in an RV, decorated by interior designers who have never sat at a dinette table in an RV, assembled by workers who have never camped in an RV and often sold by salesmen who have never towed an RV....

That said, if an engineer needs an extra 70 pounds on the rear axle, move the A/C unit 3 feet further back on the roof and "just like magic" there's that 70 pounds.... Not much (if any) thought goes into whether the vents would be blocked or whether it might create other problems. The "need to move 70 pounds was met, move on to the next "engineering step"......

So, "tongue in cheek": After all, an "elementary thought process" would preclude that in a toy hauler, the beds are up and toys are in the garage when towing, so there's no need to have A/C in the garage until the space is converted, and then the beds are down, so "what's the problem" ???? It's likely that the engineering team never conceptualized the need for A/C in the unlikely event the beds were in the up position with an empty garage space and "heaven forbid" people might actually be in the space......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
rsv4pilot

Well put John,

Or worse yet use the space as an office while the toys are being used.

I did end up lowering the bed about a foot and found that the four vents around the A/C were actually closed off. The bed is actually a nice sound suppressor when the A/C is running so it's not all bad..
Old 06-23-2018, 04:12 AM   #10
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I like the idea of drilling new holes in the frame. Mine don't seem to line up very well anyway. Could be a win for multiple reasons. We use the back AC to supplement the main cabin air with a fan to help circulation.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:35 AM   #11
ProInspSvcs

I agree, with the idiots who design these units. Most of it is eye candy, very cheap and not very durable. For the cost of these RV's you would think they might put more thought or actually use the RV. The vents for AC in mine can not be closed so if you want more air somewhere else too bad, you have to freeze the bunk area. I have a cougar SRX, supposed to get a golf cart in, good luck. I liked the concept of the SRX but now thinking I should have did the Raptor or other. So thanks as I learn more about all of them.
ProInspSvcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:35 AM   #12
roadglide

My impact a.c. straddles the bunk but has 2 vent close to the sliding door , I figured that was standard with all fusion.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:54 AM   #13
roadglide

I may have got one built on titty Tuesday with over 30k pulling over all kinds of country my impact is holding up good . It could be the 36 foot size coming in at 11500 lbs 2800 hitch is not mid size. I do all my own maintenance cabinet, doors, are of good quality for mide range toyhualer without all the whistle and bell's.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #14
Starfleetmarj

We have the same setup in our 2016 Fuzion 371 toyhauler garage...bed blocks the vents and AC unit. So we leave the bed down. We don't use the lower benches, except for extra storage and it makes a great dog sleeping area. We travel with dogs in crates in the garage so the AC is a must during the summer. We did have issues with cooling the trailer and found that both units had issues with the solid foam divider between the cooling air and intake air. On both units the divider had fallen and all cold air was going up the intake instead of in the ceiling vents. Once we duct taped the divider back into position the trailer cooled just fine. There seems to be a mfg flaw on design if both units had the same issue. We couldn't find any structure that kept the foam divider in place, so we had to duct tape it. Not sure of make....but I think they were Dometic.
Starfleetmarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:38 PM   #15
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I don't think any of us will ever get a response from Keystone as to "WHY" they do the things they do in designing trailers. My guess would be that most RV's are designed by engineers who have never slept in an RV, decorated by interior designers who have never sat at a dinette table in an RV, assembled by workers who have never camped in an RV and often sold by salesmen who have never towed an RV....

That said, if an engineer needs an extra 70 pounds on the rear axle, move the A/C unit 3 feet further back on the roof and "just like magic" there's that 70 pounds.... Not much (if any) thought goes into whether the vents would be blocked or whether it might create other problems. The "need to move 70 pounds was met, move on to the next "engineering step"......

So, "tongue in cheek": After all, an "elementary thought process" would preclude that in a toy hauler, the beds are up and toys are in the garage when towing, so there's no need to have A/C in the garage until the space is converted, and then the beds are down, so "what's the problem" ???? It's likely that the engineering team never conceptualized the need for A/C in the unlikely event the beds were in the up position with an empty garage space and "heaven forbid" people might actually be in the space......
Wow, I'm guess we're lucky the "weight distribution requirements" for our Carbon dictated putting the A/C units over the living room and bedroom, I would hate it if one was over the garage instead of the living room. We use the garage pretty much exclusively as a garage, and it's much easier to cool the actual living area if we don't have to cool the garage at the same time! The ducting does extend to the garage area (with just one actual vent back there) but I have it blocked off so we don't "waste" any of the cool air.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE303 View Post
Wow, I'm guess we're lucky the "weight distribution requirements" for our Carbon dictated putting the A/C units over the living room and bedroom, I would hate it if one was over the garage instead of the living room...
There's a comment in a post that was just submitted to the forum about how "fortunate" (not really) the member is because his air conditioners in his Fuzion are located in the front bedroom and the garage. There is no A/C in the main living area. So, yup, I guess you are lucky, whether it's because of "weight distribution requirements" or some other "design consideration"..... Count your lucky stars.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:48 PM   #17
rsl

Both the A/Cs are dual ducted from front to back of RV and both also have the quick chill dump feature
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:10 PM   #18
Carmenmvasquez32

Thumbs up thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

The only thing I could think of... would be for when converted and using the bottom as a dinette instead of the bunks, this option you would want air flow. We have an 18' 424 Fuzion and we just open the vents on the AC instead of the airflow to the ducted vents.... However my main complaint in this unit is that the 3rd (middle ac/main living) is in the loft bed. The airflow does not move well, and the unit often freezes up. I could literally use this area for a cooler! My husband blocked off the area in hopes to force the air out of the loft space sooner. This was not thought out well AT ALL, and as you stated above the designers have probably never been in or used a camper :/
Carmenmvasquez32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:06 AM   #19
cenders

Ours is the same (2103 fZ310). I can't remember, is the inlet to the AC unit also covered by the bed? If so, lowering the bed is the only solution as ducting the outlets won't help with sucking the bedding into the warm air inlet.
cenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #20
Badbart56

It can be mounted in front of the beds. Click image for larger version

Name:	467C20B9-6057-43DD-8A4F-620D5738E9E4.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	17274

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags