Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2018, 09:38 PM   #21
440justin

For what it is worth I ran the factory TK's on my passport for 4 years and 15,000 miles without issue. I also decided at that time I should stop pushing my luck and get some carlisle HD's. While I had no issues with the TK's I feel much better when the Carlisle's.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2018, 05:28 AM   #22
talk2cpu

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
Just got some Trailer King II tires, 10 ply E rated installed on our Laredo. Anyone using these or used these in the past? $400 installed seemed like an ok deal
Congrats, I do hope they serve you as well as my TK's did. Six years and 20,000 miles. They gave me no problems. Of course after reading all the negative reports I became a bit OCD about care. TPMS installed and monitored all the time traveling. Tire pressure kept about 5 psi above what the tables recommended for load (I never had them loaded to max) and regular inspections by sight and feel. AVOID curbs, rocks and holes, or take them slow. You can also use your leveling blocks to ease the height of the curbs if you need to go over them. Remember how GY's used to be best thing since sliced bread and now have lots of negative posts? Maybe it was a change in manufacturer, maybe not.

I am waiting to see all the negative reports about Carlise, since that is what I replaced my TK's with, as they become more widely used. Just think of how many TK's are out there and give reasonable service.

Remember, this is the internet and the best place to complain when something goes wrong.

Good luck and enjoy your travels and treat your tires well.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:06 AM   #23
KHBama

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2cpu View Post
Congrats, I do hope they serve you as well as my TK's did. Six years and 20,000 miles. They gave me no problems. Of course after reading all the negative reports I became a bit OCD about care. TPMS installed and monitored all the time traveling. Tire pressure kept about 5 psi above what the tables recommended for load (I never had them loaded to max) and regular inspections by sight and feel. AVOID curbs, rocks and holes, or take them slow. You can also use your leveling blocks to ease the height of the curbs if you need to go over them. Remember how GY's used to be best thing since sliced bread and now have lots of negative posts? Maybe it was a change in manufacturer, maybe not.

I am waiting to see all the negative reports about Carlise, since that is what I replaced my TK's with, as they become more widely used. Just think of how many TK's are out there and give reasonable service.

Remember, this is the internet and the best place to complain when something goes wrong.

Good luck and enjoy your travels and treat your tires well.
Thanks, it’s nice to see informative posts from people that actually have them/used them. Hope they treat me well for a few years
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:02 AM   #24
theasphaltrv'er

Well...well...well.
KHBama, We've run nuttin but "china bombs" on the 3 different RV's we've had since the early 90's. Currently am running Trailer Kings "D" on our little 26sab. Have alittle over 10,000 miles on em and hope to get at least one more year out of em (4 years so far...I do keep em covered and sprayed with the 303 protectant). So far in all the years and umteen miles we've put on the different "china bombs", (Tow Max, Duro's, Greenballs & Tow Master & probably others) we've not had a blowout yet. We travel fairly lite & keep the RV's weights well below the GVWR.
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:32 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooth Ferry View Post
Had to replace all 4 at less than 3500 miles. As we started to leave on a trip I saw that one had thrown a 6 x 12 piece of tread. When I went to the local TK dealer to get a replacement he examined the others and showed me where the other 3 were about to do the same, big bubbles under the tread. Watch them very carefully and have the dealer you bought them from check them regularly. We go across PikeRd often between Pell City and Seagrove Fl.

This is good advice. John posted some pics of his when he pulled them off and they looked just like what you describe if I recall. Mine did pretty much the same....let go from the inside out. Kudos to those that are using them and haven't had issues. To me, it's just like the Russian roulette scene in Deer Hunter; you may be the lucky one that is spared, but, it's going to happen (gun firing) simply because it will, be it bad manufacturing, poor/no quality control etc. I just don't intend to find out if I'm "the one".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:25 AM   #26
notanlines

I believe it was Plautus who once said " It takes a great man to give sound advice tactfully, but a greater to accept it graciously."
It was that smart-alecky notanlines who said "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:29 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Here are the pictures of my TK tires. There is no way to identify the damage with the tire mounted on the wheel and it's not "worth it" to me, to remove the tire, check for damage and reinstall the tire. Anyway, here's what I found, what sourdough found and what Tooth Ferry posted his dealer showed him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	15278   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	15279   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	15280   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	15281  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #28
travelin texans

Is it a coincidence that TK tread design is almost identical to the GY Marathons that have the same reputation as China Bombs? Also same tread design that's scattered across just about every freeway in the country. I've never had a rv with either brand so not making any opinions on them, just an observation.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Inn the 80's and early 90's Goodyear Marathons were the tire to have. Every "upgraded trailer" had GY Marathons on it as OEM and anybody who wanted to upgrade their "non-luxury" trailer bought GY Marathons. They were all made at the GY plant in Ohio. Then GY moved the ST tire operation overseas and quality fell, there was a major recall to replace all the GY Marathons in about 94 or 95. My Goodyear dealer suggested I not put the new Marathons on my Holiday Rambler, but suggested I use the opportunity to switch to Maxxis. He called Maxxis the "Michelin of trailer tires". I did and never had another bit of trouble with that trailer.

Now, it seems that GY Marathons retain the same reputation. Whether it's a carryover from past problems or a continuation of a sub-par tire ??? I don't know and honestly don't want to spend my money to find out. So, at least for me, it makes sense to avoid all the "bad reputation tires" and just not gamble that they "might be better than last year's tires"... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #30
KHBama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooth Ferry View Post
Had to replace all 4 at less than 3500 miles. As we started to leave on a trip I saw that one had thrown a 6 x 12 piece of tread. When I went to the local TK dealer to get a replacement he examined the others and showed me where the other 3 were about to do the same, big bubbles under the tread. Watch them very carefully and have the dealer you bought them from check them regularly. We go across PikeRd often between Pell City and Seagrove Fl.
I hope I have better luck! If not, lesson learned. Love Pike Road, nice small town feel. I work in architecture and we are currently doing some work at a few schools in Pell City
Old 02-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #31
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
I hope I have better luck! If not, lesson learned. Love Pike Road, nice small town feel. I work in architecture and we are currently doing some work at a few schools in Pell City
This! My good wishes are with you. Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #32
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here are the pictures of my TK tires. There is no way to identify the damage with the tire mounted on the wheel and it's not "worth it" to me, to remove the tire, check for damage and reinstall the tire. Anyway, here's what I found, what sourdough found and what Tooth Ferry posted his dealer showed him.

John is that lamination separation on the inside of the tire ? Hard for me to tell what is going on there.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
John is that lamination separation on the inside of the tire ? Hard for me to tell what is going on there. .
Yup. The tread separated from the carcass. It looks like "bubbles" but actually is tread separation. I have not taken the tires apart, so I can't say whether the steel belt stayed with the tread or if it is still wound around the carcass. Either way, both of them (50% failure rate) have less than 3 years and less than 5,000 miles on them. They never were towed underinflated (always at 65PSI) and never over about 64 or 65 MPH. They have not been overloaded, I have less than 8000 pounds on the axles, that's 2000 pounds average weight carried per tire with a rating of 2540 per tire. I've never hit a curb, twisted the axles/tires in a tight turn (short bed without a slider hitch). To the best of my knowledge, the tires have never had any "mishap or abuse", no potholes or emergency braking, never overheated (I check with a laser thermometer at every stop). However they are the OEM tires. We special ordered the trailer, it was delivered to the dealership and we picked it up the next week after the PDI, so no "questionable history while on the sales lot".... The only "I don't know" is the actual delivery trip from Goshen to Onaway, MI, a distance of 325 miles. I was at the dealership when the trailer was received and I did check the tire pressure while it was hitched to the delivery truck. All the tires were 65-70 PSI and were still warm from the trip. Other than that, I'm the only one who has ever towed the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #34
Hodgy

Thanks John, that is downright scary !

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #35
ken56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Exactly what one of mine started to do. They were E rated too and I had put about 3k miles on them with a couple of fairly good distance trips. We had planned to go to FL this past December and I was not comfortable with keeping them on for that long of a trip and I replaced them with the Goodyear Endurance E rated.

What I could tell between the two was I could feel the trailer was more stable when towing on the expressway. I had a slight wiggle with the Trailer Kings that I don't have with the Goodyears. I believe the sidewall is stiffer in the Goodyears.

We don't know the OP's camping style, as in long trips or short weekend trips. That would be the determining factor to me. 400 bucks is a good value if you are confident that you won't be depending on them for a cross country trip. I spent 650 on my Goodyears and I have more confidence in pulling for a 6-8 hour day...but any tire can have a blowout at any time too. Good luck with your Trailer Kings, just keep a close eye on them.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:50 PM   #36
KHBama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken56 View Post
Exactly what one of mine started to do. They were E rated too and I had put about 3k miles on them with a couple of fairly good distance trips. We had planned to go to FL this past December and I was not comfortable with keeping them on for that long of a trip and I replaced them with the Goodyear Endurance E rated.

What I could tell between the two was I could feel the trailer was more stable when towing on the expressway. I had a slight wiggle with the Trailer Kings that I don't have with the Goodyears. I believe the sidewall is stiffer in the Goodyears.

We don't know the OP's camping style, as in long trips or short weekend trips. That would be the determining factor to me. 400 bucks is a good value if you are confident that you won't be depending on them for a cross country trip. I spent 650 on my Goodyears and I have more confidence in pulling for a 6-8 hour day...but any tire can have a blowout at any time too. Good luck with your Trailer Kings, just keep a close eye on them.
We are normally weekend warriors staying within 200 miles from home. But.... our 1st trip with them will be to Clearwater, FL to see the dolphin tale “stars”, then heading over to Disney for the week. About 1000 miles round trip. Will hope for the best, thanks for the info
Old 02-20-2018, 04:42 AM   #37
krisbc1

I like, Provider ST235/85R16 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range G
Radial special trailer tire has a ply rating of 14 and a 4,400-lb max load at 110 psi. Great for highway use. Fits 16" wheels
krisbc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:00 AM   #38
captcolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbc1 View Post
I like, Provider ST235/85R16 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range G
Radial special trailer tire has a ply rating of 14 and a 4,400-lb max load at 110 psi. Great for highway use. Fits 16" wheels
If you like the Providers, you would love the Sailun's of equal size. My new RV came with Providers and changed those out to the Sailun's before leaving on my first trip.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #39
Tbos

I see Providers are mentioned in a positive light. Does anyone have real experience with them? The 5er I have on order will come with them.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:37 PM   #40
captcolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I see Providers are mentioned in a positive light. Does anyone have real experience with them? The 5er I have on order will come with them.
I asked the same question when I purchased the Alpine and got a one word response: "boom". The Providers never left the driveway.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires