Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2019, 05:11 PM   #1
busterbrown

How To Deal With a Known BAL Accuslide Leaky Motor Problem

Today, I was looking at the slide-out roofs on my Bullet and seen some bubbling of the membrane material directly under both DC motors as well as oil residue on the bottom of the motor housing. As I know it's an ongoing problem since 2016 when Keystone decided to change the gear box seal supplier, the fix has been to clean and reseal the membrane (dicor/eternabond) and place a drip pan under each motor.

From what I can see, the membrane remains intact but the bubbling will only get bigger I suppose. Due to the slide toppers, I can't easily take corrective action unless I remove the covering material. I also would need to remove the fascia trim to access the motor and place the drip pan.

As my coach has been out of warranty for a couple of years, would it be feasible to bring this "known" defect to the my selling dealer in order to present it to Keystone for compensation on the repair? Or should I contact Keystone directly?

Considering there was nothing I could have done to prevent this from happening (now known defective gear seals), I would think Keystone should take a good faith gesture forward and offer reimbursement for the fix. Opinions or suggestions before I call my dealer on Monday?
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:36 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

A couple of thoughts about the way you phrase your problem and a recommendation.

First, Keystone did not elect to change the motor oil seal. They buy (in bulk) thousands of BAL slide mechanisms from Norco Industries, the parent company for BAL. It was Norco and BAL that decided to change the motor seal, not Keystone. So, the ultimate responsibility should be Norco/BAL.

You're out of warranty, so chances are you'll hit a brick wall with Keystone. You may, however, get some assistance from Norco/BAL, but how much or what approach would be most productive is a question I don't think anyone can answer.

As for the slide roof, I'd keep it clean, keep it coated with Aerospace 303 and watch it. You may not have enough damage to create a "functional problem" but only an "appearance problem". Getting "ahead of the problem" may not be productive, especially if you spend all the time, effort and money on a "bulge in the TPO membrane that doesn't go anywhere....

I'd contact Norco/BAL and see what they say, keep up with maintenance on the slide roof and install a drip pan, just in case it leaks a bit more.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:36 PM   #3
busterbrown

Thanks John. I'm in the process of writing correspondence to both Keystone and Norco to see what solution(s) can be had. I (most definitely) can fix it myself, but I'd rather see some good faith customer service initiative. With previous Dexter and Dometic component issues, both respective companies lived up to my expectations. Here's hoping that BAL and/or Keystone do the same.

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:34 PM   #4
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

I have the same issue bubble right in the center of the top of the slide.
Hopefully they'll help with a solution.
Morryde has been the best to deal with on problems, since the IS install.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #5
busterbrown

Update...

Spoke with Norco about this known problem with these slide out motors leaking oil. Customer service gave me two options. First, the said they could send out custom drip trays for the 2 motors if I wanted to repair the problem myself. Secondly, they explained that Keystone would be the responsible party if I wanted to pursue a dealership fix. The referred me to Keystone's customer service dept.

I was able to contact Keystone directly. They were very receptive of my issues with the slide out roof bubbling. They said it would have to go through a dealership as they would need the pictures and dealer's input of the membrane. So I followed up with my selling dealer. They said that Keystone most likely would approve a fix for the slide out roofs, but the process would require at trip across the state to the them. I would then have to wait for an approval and return with the trailer sometime in late November/early December. The fix would include installing those drip trays and cutting out the loose material and patching most likely with Eternabond.

So, for the sake of my own sanity, my time, and my fuel costs, I decided to have Norco send me the drip trays as a courtesy and complete the repairs my self. The membrane wasn't perforated or torn, just bubbled directly under the motor. I had to remove both slide out topper fabrics to get access to the slide roofs. After thoroughly cleaning the roofs with dish detergent and denatured alcohol, I ran a strip of 4" Eternabond tape along the entire length of the OEM tape on the edge. I was able to crease over and cover both bubbles completely.

The TPO membrane is now well preserved over that area and I'm confident the dealer wouldn't have done a better job. For the price I saved in gas (180 miles x 4 trips) and my own time, it was well worth a few hours to work at my leisure.

I was also able to clean and condition the top slideout rubber seals with the toppers off and replace one of the topper fabrics that had a seam separation. So, a big "win-win".
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191011_130421.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	24012

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191011_123331.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	24013