Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
wb7sdxgary

Can batteries freeze?

Hi. I have a 2007 Keystone Cougar 304BHS 30 foot rv with two slides. A few questions. Can I operate my slides without the batteries hooked up to my rv? My converter is 55 amp output WFCO brand. I almost cooked one of my batteries. It was sizzling and hot to the touch. Converter maybe didn't shut off? It was only a couple weeks since I checked them last. Guess I didn't check it for water in time. I have two group 24 deep cycle batteries. The other one is fine. But I read I need to get two new batteries because the old battery will draw the new one down? Also, is there a source for more detailed electrical info on a rv? I have some resettable circuit breakers on the tongue of the rv that I want to replace but don't know what their rating is. Guess I take them off and inspect them.
And... since my rv is hooked up to shore power all year long I guess the batteries are getting continually charged. Problem is I can't get to the RV because of snow for months some times in order to check the battery levels. Can I disconnect the batteries and either put a battery tender on them or should I bring them home and keep them there during the winter months? We empty the fridge each year and defrost it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Gary
wb7sdxgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:47 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

The newer rvs have a charge wizard in the converter yours may or may not check the infor and see about your model. That prevents the boiling of the batteries, that used to be the big problem. People would forget to to turn off the power or disconnect the batteries and they were ruined from overcharging. The charge wizard can be added to some units. If your batteries need water added you need to check it monthly or bimonthly (just my opinion) Dealer said a couple times a year. I do not want problems and check them as much as possible. RV is in my driveway. Along with 4 other vehicles, they do get checked.
Always replace both batteries each time. I have been told car/rv batteries can freeze. My dad said he had some while camping in winter freeze. I was also told batteries nowadays are built better and may not freeze as the ones made 20 years ago. I never have had a battery freeze in temps to 0 f at night and 20s F day time. Maybe some can give better ideas about current freeze problems with modern batteries.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
Frank G

The basics of lead acid batteries has not changed since there inception. Fully charged lead acid batteries will not freeze. Google is your friend here, good tell about minus 76 deg. F.

Never operate the slides without a fully charged battery in place.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7sdxgary View Post
Also, is there a source for more detailed electrical info on a rv? Any help is greatly appreciated. Gary
I can highly recommend Mike Sokol's book, "No-Shock-Zone RV Electrical Safety".

You can get it here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, there is probably a label somewhere near your control panel that says, "Battery must be connected for operation of slide outs" or words to that effect. You can damage your converter if you try to move the slides without your battery connected.

Good luck.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:13 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

In addition to Merlin's comment, you said in your first post that you had two batteries, one is "fried" and the other is "still good".

In the interim, until you replace the bad battery, just take it out of the trailer, connect the "one good battery" and operate your slides, landing gear, awning. The single battery is sufficient to buffer the starting load and protect your converter from being overloaded by the motors in your "heavy equipment" (slides, awning, landing gear).

When you decide to buy new batteries, then yes, you need to replace ALL of them at the same time, with the same size/brand/type of battery. Don't leave the old battery as a part of the system, it may damage the new batteries.

But for now, you're good with only one "known good battery" by removing the "known bad battery" from the system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:07 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

If you leave the trailer plugged in year round but can't get to it for months on end due to snow.....pull the batteries out and put them on a tender would be my suggestion. Your home would probably be the best bet. Then just unplug the trailer until you come back.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:12 PM   #7
KimNTerry

and depleted/drained Batteries will freeze and may crack the casing. (DAMHIKT). So if unplugging, then take your batteries somewhere they won't freeze and use a trickle charger to keep the topped off.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:37 PM   #8
retiredusps69

Will They Freeze

You bet they will when charge gets to nothing. They will also explode if you try to charge or boost. I know I have done it jumping construction equipment. Makes a nice Loud BANG !!!!!!!

Best to take them out and home with you.Put them on a battery tender.
retiredusps69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:54 PM   #9
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNTerry View Post
and depleted/drained Batteries will freeze and may crack the casing. (DAMHIKT). So if unplugging, then take your batteries somewhere they won't freeze and use a trickle charger to keep the topped off.
Don't use a trickle charger. They can easily over-charge a battery. Instead get a good quality battery maintainer, like the Battery Tender.