Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #1
rsv4pilot

Broken spring hangar.

Anybody ever have this happen??

Click image for larger version

Name:	58351569082__B7EEBA51-1DE5-496C-81B8-1377E8220585.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	22526

Click image for larger version

Name:	58351579243__3B28067E-21D8-4843-A194-0D6AEEAF4177.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	22527

No other damage to the equalizer or front hangar.

Dealer can’t even look at it until the end of July.
rsv4pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:58 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It looks like an "old break" in that there's corrosion/rust over the entire damaged area. I'd guess that it's been cracked for quite some time and just finally "gave up the ghost". Why it happened is probably the more important question. Was it a defective weld, a crack from damage caused by towing over rough roads, stress caused by backing at severe angles or some other reason????

Your trailer is a 2018, so depending on when the "3 year structural warranty" was implemented, your trailer may/may not be covered. If it's a warranty repair, then you've got to decide whether to wait for the dealer or "fix it yourself"... Without knowing your plans, the end of July may not work for you.

It's a simple "broken spring hanger" and I'd suspect that most dealerships "farm out the welding" to a welding shop or a fabrication shop rather than do the work themselves. So, if it were my trailer, I'd farm out the work and save the cost of the dealership adding their "handling charge".

You say there's no other damage, but that 1" angle strip up next to the outriggers looks like it's pulled out and the screws are "just dangling there".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

For an 18 there sure seems to be a lot going on under there. I've never had a broken hangar on an RV but I have on a Jeep and it sure didn't look that deformed. I understand the dynamics at play are a lot different between the 2 but still makes one wonder.

I agree that the rusted break looks like it's been going on for a long time. I don't know quick rust works in your country though. I'm in the SW and stay south in the winter only venturing north when it gets warm. Both the inside and outside brackets are bent up so it has probably been going on a bit. I'm not sure what that angle iron is for or why it's just hanging loose but that doesn't look good and makes you wonder if there is more going on, if it was damaged being delivered to the dealer prior to sale or ?? One other thought is the open area cut out in the coroplast by the inside of the hangar. That's a pretty big hole. Has it always been that way? I think mine are all sealed with foam best I recall but I'm going to check mine when I get back out to the barn.

The 3 year structural warranty came out in 18 if I recall but don't know exactly when or when you got your trailer but maybe it would be covered by that. If they can't get you in you will have to make the call if you want to get it done yourself - Keystone might even reimburse you …..
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
Frank G

It looks like a lot of inside tire wear. What's up with that? Pictures are deceiving but it looks like a bent axle is responsible for the tire wear. Like the others have said, a lot going on under there.

Is that a MORide cross member attached to the center hangers? Who installed that?

I'm not an expert, but there is a overlay over the center of the broken hanger, I don't think that is standard. I may be wrong.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #5
Old Mustanger

I had that happen to mine, actually both sides of the shackle broke and were hanging down. I had a mobile repair come out to my house and fix it, my extended warranty covered it so it only cost me the deductible, and he came within 2 days of contacting (along with 2 helpers). I did receive some damage to the other side also, the wet bolts on the shackle link (from the equalizer to the front spring eye) for that axle will no longer accept grease so I figure they got crushed when the axle moved out of position. I've already purchased a new link with the bolts already installed from Lippert, now I need to figure out how to remove the old one and replace it with the new one.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:10 PM   #6
rhagfo

Something to look at from time to time.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:06 PM   #7
rsv4pilot

Yea, it’s on my checklist now!!

Tire wear is from the bad alignment from the equalizer moving full forward and resting against the frame.

We’re always careful about NOT making tight turns and traveling light.
rsv4pilot is offline   Reply With Quote