Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #1
byrdr1

Need to vent!!

Well had one of those days.
Worked out of town today, rushed home, finally got my B&W companion hitch installed yesterday. Wanted to hook up the new to me truck to the camper. Newer truck sits a lot higher than old truck. In my rush to get hooked up and see. I failed to follow my hookup routine.
Do you know if you apply the right amount of pressure on the rear Jack stabilizers they will collapse. Then after wondering why the camper batteries act like they are dead. You say Well I'll just pull it around the block and repark it. But as you pull out of the driveway you hear this grinding noise on the concrete pad. Then you then realise!!!! The rear stabilizers are still down after you had already disconnect the power cord, undo the stesdy fast locking system and open the side door to get the drill driver.
Then you realize that's why the front jacks acted the way it did raising it up.
Then you walk back and just lose your mind about how stupid you are. What a DA you are and many other thoughts and comments. Needless to say once I got rear jacks off. I just backed it back under the RVport.
Unhooked everything and ordered 2 new stabilizers from Amazon. Be here by the weekend.
Just needed to confess and clear my head. My wife was not happy...she has been on me to pay attention to the little things. (Not sure she's talking about campers BUT)This was a little one and the damage was to the jacks and my pocket book. But the camper hooked up well to the B&W..
We'll test pull later now than today...
Have a great day and weekend.
Randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:29 PM   #2
laidback

Don't You just hate days like that. We all have them.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:44 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Cheer up, Randy. Right now the trailer is back under cover, the hitch works, the truck works and all that's left to do is install a couple of "easy to bolt on" jacks. It could have been a lot worse.

In situations like this, my dad used to ask me, "What was the crisis that had you all worked up on May 9th last year?" You know, I never could remember what was so terrible 12 months ago. This time next year, you'll be doing the same, trying to remember why it seemed so much worse than it really was.....

Smile, have an adult beverage and when the jacks come in, take pictures of how "shiny and new" they are.

Tomorrow will be a new day !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

OOPS!

If the stab jacks are the only casualty, I’d say your doing good. It happens to all of us. I will admit to testing the torque of my truck by wanting to move the fiver a few feet with the X chocks set. Good thing I was in MY BACK YARD, btw my old blue mule yanked them out. Glad they weren’t set very tight, as I don’t usually use them on my storage pad. Take a deep breath and then keep on keepin on!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #5
Pmedic4

One of those kind of days!

I know the feeling. The DW and I were going out for a long weekend last Thursday, and several non-camping events really set me off. Without going into the details, those things that just irritated me and I was in a foul mode.

I was ready to go out to our storage yard to hook up the fifthwheel, knowing I already was irritable, I said to myself, "take you time, do it slow and right!" Went about the process, thought I was slow and deliberate, hooked up, and hauled out to the campground. No problems, and uneventful trip.

Got the fiver parked, and set into position on the site. Started the unhooking leveling process, and then I noticed: ' I DIDN'T PUT THE PIN INTO THE LATCH ARM ON THE HITCH' Perhaps it wouldn't have come unhooked, at least it didn't.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:10 AM   #6
Duramike

We all have days like that. On one of my bad days a very wise man once told me, “It’s not the end of the world and if it is, then it REALLY doesn’t matter.” Relax, repair, enjoy the rig!
Old 05-10-2018, 03:22 AM   #7
kksfish

I’m sure those old stabilizers had seen better days and were probably bent in places ,rusted in places and in need of replacing anyway! Call it preventive maintenance and post some pictures and a write-up of the install!
Old 05-10-2018, 03:45 AM   #8
notanlines

What they^^^^all said! Especially KKSFish. Those old stabilizers on that Cougar were shot. That's why they collapsed. Ooooo the new ones will look great!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:07 AM   #9
Dave W

No big deal. We have all injured out wallet, and usually multiple times

Well, haven't done that yet, but did find that my truck will easily drag a 5er with the BAL X Chocks in place. Didn't hut a thing though ---- except my pride.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent