Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #1
Chaz55

15 Cougar 336bhs

Hey Everyone,
Soooo we've owner our Cougar for a few years and love it but there are def somethings that need improvement. I want to see if you have any upgrade ideas.

1. The sliding rear cargo rack is a piece of junk! I never had more than 50 lbs on it and ALL of the brackets that it slides on are bent! Three trips ago, the spare tire u bolts both broke and I lost the spare tire and mount......while driving down the interstate!!!!! Has anyone modified it to be stronger or replaced it all together with something else? I'm thinking I'm going to have to fab something from scratch. Btw..spare is now under the rig.

2. The awning is useless! It's mounted way to high to give any real sun protection. Has anyone ever added an extra awning like on the kitchen table slide?

Thanks!
Chaz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #2
KTB

We often wondered the same thing with the awning. We have at least tried to tilt the awning somewhat so it "hugs" the camper some. They say to pull the arm down in the middle to get the desired pitch, but of course ours doesn't stay in that position. It's useless when it extends straight out. After some research on their website I came across a noting in their manual about how to articulate the arm to hold it's position (page 4 of the awning manual). It notes, "If the articulating arm does not hold position, it can be tightened by adjusting the bolt (Fig 6A)"--which is the middle bolt in the arm. So I am assuming you pull the arm to the position you want it, then tighten the bolt a little so it holds the position. We are going to try it this camping season and see if it helps. It doesn't say anything about loosening it again before retracting it, we are assuming that needs to be done? Hope we don't forget to do so.
KTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I have to tighten that bolt more often than not to get the awnings on new units to hold the pitch. Tighten as needed and you should be good. DO NOT straighten the arm out when you retract the awning, it will straighten itself. If you push it even a touch past straight you will snap the arm when you retract the awning.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
KTB

Do you have to loosen the bolt before retracting the awning? I know that straightening the arm or pushing it upward is a “no no.” When you do tighten it does it give you a lower pitch? We have cabin fever so bad! Weather is starting to cooperate! Can’t wait to get out and use ours. We bought it new last fall and were only able to camp in it once so we are extremely excited to hit the road soon!
KTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:17 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

No. Just tighten it enough to hold the pitch, it will be much stiffer but it will still work just fine.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #6

There is a huge thread on the 336 back a few pages from here. Hours worth of reading and really great mods done. Basically everything you would want to know. Probably would have saved your spare tire. That mount and position is horrible. Mine is under the bed now. Couldn’t see spending $80 on that underbelly mount. The L brackets on mine are bent as well but as far as I can see it dosent really have any effect on it. I did mod the bike rack some. I’ll post that in the other thread to keep it organized.

Tags
cougar