Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2020, 08:37 AM   #21
CampingRooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobirds38 View Post
I notice that the hitch has some grease fittings on it, have you ever needed to put grease in them? If so what kind?
I currently tow with one and love it! I use standard moly grease.
CampingRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:05 AM   #22
Leatherman

I also have a Blue Ox WDH system. I have had it since 2014 with my first trailer. When I upgraded I only had to replace the bars. I sold my old ones on Craigslist along with the short shank for a Nissan Titan. I had to get a replacement shank since my new 2500 was much taller. That along with new tension bars for the new trailer and I was good. After selling the other parts I only had to put in about $75 to get the new stuff.

First trailer was 25', 4500 lbs. loaded for travel. Second trailer is 30' and 7500 lbs ready for travel. Both were rock steady with absolutely no sway in any condition.

I did not know about the StrapTek system until today. We are contemplating upgrading to a 5th wheel this spring. If not, I will probably invest in the StrapTek system for this season.

You will be happy with the BO system.
2018 Keystone 24RKPR (Previous)
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:39 AM   #23
bfisher003

Prior to moving to Fifth wheel and F350 diesel a year and a half ago we pulled a 31’ travel trailer with a F150 Ecoboost and Max Tow package using the Blue Ox for over 50,000 miles, including up to Alaska and back and were very happy with the Blue Ox. It performed well.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #24
Northofu1

I just watched the straptek video, it seems nice but watching the second video release the strap, I didn't like the way it looked. I didn't have a problem releasing tension after lifting tongue hitch, I would nudge the bar with my foot to check for some give, then I knew I could release it easily. I also know I can easily sell mine to someone feeling confident that the chain is as strong as when I bought it. The strap? Not so much.

I move to the Andersen ultimate in May.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:20 AM   #25
revrusty

I bought the blue ox this fall. Hauled our TT from Virginia to Idaho, then up to Montana and back to Virginia. Slight sway when passed big trucks but no real problem. Like others said, get a socket, short extension, and long handle breaker bar and you are set.

2021 Ram 3500 megacab w/ cummins 6.7HO, SRW
Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
revrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:15 AM   #26
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I just watched the straptek video, it seems nice but watching the second video release the strap, I didn't like the way it looked. I didn't have a problem releasing tension after lifting tongue hitch, I would nudge the bar with my foot to check for some give, then I knew I could release it easily. I also know I can easily sell mine to someone feeling confident that the chain is as strong as when I bought it. The strap? Not so much.

I move to the Andersen ultimate in May.
If I remember correctly (I had a StrapTek until I sold the trailer and bought a 5th Wheel), the straps are rated at 3200 or 3300 lbs EACH.......so there was never any worries by me that they were more than sufficient to do the job. One thing I did do when I had mine was bought some covers for them to keep them out of the sunlight (UV deterioration possible). If I remember correctly, I found them either on Amazon or ebay and they were "Windlass" covers.......that you would use on something like a sailboat to cover the.....yep....Windlass .
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:23 AM   #27
Scott in Michigan

A question for the Straptek users. I ordered a set and have been sizing them up next to the Blue Ox chain latches.

It looks like I will have the equivalent of 1 additional chain link of adjustment. (I run at 10 links now).

The question: how much stretch is there in the strap when tensioning it? Will that 1 link of length be taken up with stretch of the strap?

Scott
Scott in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #28
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Michigan View Post
A question for the Straptek users. I ordered a set and have been sizing them up next to the Blue Ox chain latches.

It looks like I will have the equivalent of 1 additional chain link of adjustment. (I run at 10 links now).

The question: how much stretch is there in the strap when tensioning it? Will that 1 link of length be taken up with stretch of the strap?

Scott
Scott, make it easy on yourself. BEFORE you remove the OEM pullups, take a measurement of the spring bars when the trailer is hooked up to your truck. Measure the distance from the end of the springbar to some point on the trailer "A" frame, and write that distance down on a sheet of paper. Once you install the StrapTeks on the "A" frame and are ready to go, just winch them up until you get that same measurement. In addition to doing that, I used a paint-stick and when the proper measurement was achieved, I marked the straps (both of them) at Top Dead Center, looking down on them from directly over the top of the winch units. Easy-Peasy. If it makes you more comfortable, refer back to your written measurement and make sure that the strap has not stretched......I don't think it will, and even if it does, it would probably have to be measured in 1/16" of an inch....nothing to worry about.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:16 PM   #29
Scott in Michigan

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I already have the measurement for comparison and based on that I will actually have the equivalent of one more link of tension.

What I"m wondering is if strap stretch will take that away.

Seems like no one notes significant stretch. Just checking with Straptek users to verify.

Whoever made mention of the Straptek setup - I thank you. Looking forward to improving my Blue Ox system with it.

Scott
Scott in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:07 AM   #30
Grace

Straptek straps are made of polyester instead of nylon for that reason. It will not stretch. It has superior resistance to road alkaline and UV.
As a word of caution, Stapteks sway control is fantastic with the straps all the way up to the bottom of the winch. There is a lot of pressure pulling and pushing on the bars during any movement. That's how it controls the sway and very well I might add. Blue Ox has a tiny spring loaded pin to retain the bars and that kind of pressure can break them off.
I broke mine in 2014. I drilled the hole all the way through the bar a that point and installed a 1/4" hitch pin. No more trouble! Good Luck and injoy!
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:34 AM   #31
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Michigan View Post
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I already have the measurement for comparison and based on that I will actually have the equivalent of one more link of tension.

What I"m wondering is if strap stretch will take that away.

Seems like no one notes significant stretch. Just checking with Straptek users to verify.

Whoever made mention of the Straptek setup - I thank you. Looking forward to improving my Blue Ox system with it.

Scott
I don't remember if I was the first on here to mention/buy/use them, but certainly one of the first. I got mine very early in 2017, right after I bought my Fuzion Impact 303 a few months earlier. I absolutely hated releasing the tension with the OEM Blue Ox pullups, to me, it was somewhat dangerous and I came very close to having the wrench fly off and probably break bones in my hand....thus I started searching for something else to replace them with.

Tags
hitch