Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
Audionut

Slide cables out of adjustment or normal

We have a 2015 Keystone Cougar 30RLI - TT and when we put it into storage I noticed the slide cables looked out of adjustment. When the living room slide was retracted all the way inside the camper the lower cable looked tight and the top cable had a fair amount of slack to it. This cannot be normal can it?

Pic attached.

PS: Sorry if the pic is sideways I have rotated it numerous times and it doesn't make any difference in the preview.
If anyone has any tips on how to successfully rotate a picture, please let me know.

The loose cable is at the top of the slide and the tight one is at the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191119_162113.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	24542  
Old 12-07-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Typically when retracted or extended one set of cables if tight and one is slightly loose - yours looks too loose. Here is a link to the slide manual. I believe the adjustment instructions are on page 6.

https://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/a...ice-manual.pdf
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #3
Brentw

That's a lot of slack. I would inspect your mounting brackets and pulleys to ensure they are still square and attached.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:19 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Your picture was taken in "portrait" orientation (taller than wider) and the forum will always display it in "landscape" orientation (wider than tall). The only way to correct that after the fact is to edit it and"add" a white or black box on both sides like watching a SD program or movie on an HD television which is called "letterbox".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut View Post
We have a 2015 Keystone Cougar 30RLI - TT and when we put it into storage I noticed the slide cables looked out of adjustment. When the living room slide was retracted all the way inside the camper the lower cable looked tight and the top cable had a fair amount of slack to it. This cannot be normal can it?

Pic attached.

PS: Sorry if the pic is sideways I have rotated it numerous times and it doesn't make any difference in the preview.
If anyone has any tips on how to successfully rotate a picture, please let me know.

The loose cable is at the top of the slide and the tight one is at the bottom.
I typically just crop the pic on my phone to make it square, then the orientation is correct. As for the cables, something is out of whack. Check brackets, pulleys, etc and see what loosened up
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #6
Audionut

Thank you all!

Sourdough's link says:
"When the room is seated full in, the INSIDE cables should be slack enough to move the cable approximately ˝” up or down (1” total movement) by hand."

So it would appear that it does need some adjusting.
We just got this camper this summer and it is our very first camper, so due to no experience, I would be hesitant to try to adjust it myself.

But I may try to YouTube it, maybe it is not that bad.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:30 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

The adjusting isn't that bad if you understand how the accu slide works. There are many videos on it....watch them. Read the manual. Your cables are not right so do your due diligence. Trying to use them as they are will lead to problems.

As a new RV owner be sure and pose any questions/concerns on this forum to our members. We have a wealth of knowledge here and so many willing to help.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:30 AM   #8
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
That's a lot of slack. I would inspect your mounting brackets and pulleys to ensure they are still square and attached.

I would second that. The tension bolts on the cables can back off but that is a lot we are seeing in your picture.

First thing I would look at is the motor mount coming loose. Mine was just screwed into the paneling with no frame members involved. It pulled nearly all the way out. (2018 RBPR) Even after I fixed that there still needed to be some adjustment to the cables which only requires a wrench and reading the instructions. Hard part for me was that all the facia on the slide had to be removed so that I could access the motor and the cable tension adjustments. In our case the facia was NAILED on so that there was no putting it back the way it came off. I ended up using drywall screws to reattach it and it not only came out looking good but I now have easy access to the motor and cables.
Good luck, it is not that hard once you have clean access to the parts.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #9
Audionut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The adjusting isn't that bad if you understand how the accu slide works. There are many videos on it....watch them. Read the manual. Your cables are not right so do your due diligence. Trying to use them as they are will lead to problems.

As a new RV owner be sure and pose any questions/concerns on this forum to our members. We have a wealth of knowledge here and so many willing to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
I would second that. The tension bolts on the cables can back off but that is a lot we are seeing in your picture.

First thing I would look at is the motor mount coming loose. Mine was just screwed into the paneling with no frame members involved. It pulled nearly all the way out. (2018 RBPR) Even after I fixed that there still needed to be some adjustment to the cables which only requires a wrench and reading the instructions. Hard part for me was that all the facia on the slide had to be removed so that I could access the motor and the cable tension adjustments. In our case the facia was NAILED on so that there was no putting it back the way it came off. I ended up using drywall screws to reattach it and it not only came out looking good but I now have easy access to the motor and cables.
Good luck, it is not that hard once you have clean access to the parts.

Well that is a concern.

It is one thing if the cable was just out of adjustment, but if there is structural damage or loose mounting brackets, pulleys or a loose motor mount, that is another issue I am not sure if I would want to tackle.

I had originally thought fixing it could wait until we got to south Texas when we leave after Christmas, then I could flounder through the cable adjustment on my own time.

But if it requires more than my miniscule camper knowledge I may be better off having the dealer look at it here in the snowy north. (It is 8 degrees here and with 25 mph winds and according to the Weather Channel it Feels Like -11)

So even driving out to storage, hooking up the camper and taking it to the dealer will be an uncomfortable undertaking in this weather.

But I think I would be more comfortable with our local dealer than an unknown dealer in the McAllen, Tx area.

EDIT: And to complicate matters more, I am scheduled for surgery this Wednesday and won't be able to do ANY lifting for at least 2 weeks. So I will need to move the camper to the dealer either today or tomorrow BEFORE surgery. So not looking forward to moving it.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:59 AM   #10
skids

Good luck and heal quickly!
Old 12-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #11
Audionut

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Good luck and heal quickly!

Thank you. The surgeon is not sure if it will help or not, fifty-fifty chance, but I'm willing to try anything to feel better.

Well the sun is shining, it's 5 degrees, but the wind died down overnight. Wish we were in south Texas already!
Old 12-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #12
pitman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Typically when retracted or extended one set of cables if tight and one is slightly loose - yours looks too loose. Here is a link to the slide manual. I believe the adjustment instructions are on page 6.

https://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/a...ice-manual.pdf

Thank you for the link. Putting that in my camper file.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, slide