Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #1
Harreec

HELP please RV wizard Garmin RV 780

I have a route all mapped out in RV wizard and I cannot follow their instructions to load it onto my GPS. I cannot even get the contents of the file into base camp.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If I understand correctly I should be loading the GPX file.
Thanks in advance.
Harry
Old 12-04-2019, 06:58 AM   #2
ChuckS

Creating Routes with BaseCamp
Sensing the frustration that some have with BaseCamp. Perhaps this will help. The information below seems like just too much work. But it really goes fast once learned.
Mac version but pc is very similar

Routes are a collection of waypoints in a specific order. If you can create one waypoint you can create several and from those you can create a route. I’m self taught and like a challenge, BaseCamp provided it. It is free and the only gps with its own application I have found.

Creating a Folder in BaseCamp
1. Folders and Waypoints (wp) reside to the left of the BaseCamp (BC) map
2. From the File menu in BC select “New List Folder” and change the name to “Test”
3. With Test selected. From the File menu select New List
4. The wp that you create will reside in New List (at the bottom of the column)

Creating a WayPoint in BaseCamp
1. The BC Tools menu includes: Hand, Zoom, Selector, Waypoint, Route, Track, Measure.
2. Select the wp tool
3. Move the wp tool to the BC map and click
4. A wp window appears entitled “001” which contains info about your new wp.
5. Under the General tab you can change the symbol and rename the wp.
6. Under the Advanced tab you can view the coordinates of your wp or change the coordinates.

Gathering WayPoints from GoogleEarth
Because of added features like Street View I prefer to use Google Earth (GE) and gather my coordinates there. I am going to create a route from Emporia, KS to the Garmin Headquarters in Olathe, KS.
1. Launch GE
2. Type “Emporia, KS” in the Search box and click Search
3. Zoom in using the +,- tool beneath the Street View icon
4. In the View menu place a check mark next to Toolbar by clicking on it. This is an on/off switch and the Toolbar should reside above the map.
5. Find the intersection of Highways 50 & 99. Which is also the intersection of Commercial St & 6th Ave.
6. Select the Placemark from the Toolbar and reposition it to the intersection of 50 & 99.
7. If the Placemark window covers the intersection move it out of the way.
8. I got the following coordinates: 38.405015° -96.180136° .
9. Don’t add a comma or anything between these coordinates; just a space to separate them
10. The GE - New Placemark window is a great place to assemble the data for use in BC.
11. Using the open space below the “Add Link” button.
12. My assembled info: 38.405015° -96.180136° Emporia, KS
13. I copy and paste this info to a word/pages document, to be used in BC.
14. Using GE, type Garmin in the search box and choose …East 151 Street…
15. Zoom in on the map so you can see the S parking lot and place the “Placemark” in the lot
16. My coordinates are: 38.855047° -94.799449° Garmin
17. I doubt that I will need more wp but if I do I will add them later. Again I place these coordinates on my word/pages document.

Note: If I were going through a city and wanted a specific route I would select more wp within the city or I would avoid the city and create my route so I did not go the default route the Garmin would take me. Garmin's usually take the shortest or fastest route depending on how you set your preferences. Creating your own route with your own wp is one way to stop this. Sometimes I have as many as 10-12 wp. To keep them in order, I number them. For example: 2_ 38.855047° -94.799449° Garmin Don’t allow the number to be part of the coordinate.

Bringing it All Together in BaseCamp
Refer to: Creating a WayPoint in BaseCamp (above)
1. Launch BC Click the wp tool at any location on the BC map. (it doesn’t make any difference where)
2. In the wp window under Comment: paste your starting point: 38.405015° -96.180136° Emporia, KS
3. Copy & Paste “Emporia, KS” into the Name: box
4. Copy the coordinates, click on the Advanced tab, select the coordinates that exist and Paste the “Emporia” coordinates, then click the General tab.
5. Click the “Show on Map” button and your wp should be anchored at the intersection of 99 & 50 in Emporia. (if it is a little off you can drag it into place and the coordinates will change automatically)
6. Follow this same procedure for the Gamin Parking Lot wp.
7. Both wp should reside in New List

Creating the Route
Connecting your GPS to your computer so that the route created follows the highway and allows your route to be uploaded to your gps.
1. From the Edit menu select Create Route (not Create Trip)
2. Drag Emporia into the Start Box
3. Drag Garmin into the Destination
4. Click Go
5. The route should appear on your BC map. Distance & Total Time should appear at the bottom of the BC window. Double Click on the route or route name to view information about the route. Color can be changed by clicking the info button.

Uploading Routes to GPS
1. With your gps connected to your computer
2. Select “New List”
3. From the Transfer menu select “Send New List to device”
4. A “Garmin GPS Transfer” window will appear with the connected gps named.
5. I check Routes, Tracks and Waypoints and click "Send"
6. Disconnect gps from your computer
7. Power up gps
8. Tap Apps
9. Tap "Trip Planner”

Your route should appear, tap on it, then tap on “Map” or “Go”
“Go” will give you a choice depending on your location but either way will get you to Garmin.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #3
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harreec View Post
I have a route all mapped out in RV wizard and I cannot follow their instructions to load it onto my GPS. I cannot even get the contents of the file into base camp.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If I understand correctly I should be loading the GPX file.
Thanks in advance.
Harry
In RV Wizard left panel click the wrench icon and select 'Send to GPS'. Your GPS may work directly with the GPX file or CSV file without using Basecamp but if not just follow the instructions there. I an't open Basecamp anymore on my Mac, but it will have an import GPX if I remember correctly.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote