Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2021, 08:57 PM   #1
UGA

Help!!!!

Hi. We just purchased a 2020 Keystone Ultra Lite 243bh.

We’re camping as we speak. When I hooked up the city water line, water started leaking inside the camper to the point we had to put towels down. I unhooked the city water line and just tried to fill up the fresh water tank, and it started leaking inside the camper too. Water was also leaking around other areas underneath the camper. I have no clue what I’m doing wrong? Do I need to have the water pump running when filling up the fresh water tank?
UGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:39 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

No need to have the pump on when filling fresh water tank. I am not familiar with your camper set up so can't really help much but on my camper, the fresh water tank and city water inlets are on an outside fitting adjacent to each other. If you remove the screws for the fitting and pull it out from the camper a bit you can see both the hose going to the pump and the city water hose. They both have clamps that could come loose. Since you are having leaks for both, regardless of where you are connecting, I would see if I could remove the panel or fitting that holds these hoses and see if the hoses that connect to the pump and city water are tight.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:42 PM   #3
UGA

Thank you so much. I’ll look at that. The strange thing is that the water was coming into the camper from the opposite side of my freshwater tank. ����*♂️
Old 03-05-2021, 09:45 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA View Post
Thank you so much. I’ll look at that. The strange thing is that the water was coming into the camper from the opposite side of my freshwater tank. ����*♂️

Well, open cabinets and check for water leaks. It may also be a leak in the PEX somewhere where it isn't as readily searchable. Hopefully a smarter person will come on and ask the right questions to help you get to the bottom of this issue.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:17 AM   #5
NH_Bulldog

The first question I have is that if you just bought it, was it from a dealer and was there a PDI (pre delivery inspection)? Was it winterized when you picked it up?

The next question is where exactly did you have water inside? The water tank is beneath the floor, as are all the pipes except where they stub up through the floor for the various fixtures. The water coming out in multiple locations underneath doesn’t tell me much because the coroplast belly will allow water to travel great distances until it finds a low spot to drain out onto the ground.

Just a wild-*** guess here but if you are getting leakage whether on city water or trying to fill the tank, I would say the water pump connection might be the culprit. The water pump is located in the base cabinet next to the front bed on the slide side of the camper. You can either lift the bed and there is an access panel on the side of the base frame or you can pop the lower face panel off next to the bed.

If I am incorrect in my assumptions, let us know where you are seeing the water and maybe we can zero in on the issue
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:46 AM   #6
jsb5717

The first thing I did when we bought our new rig was got through and tighten every water connection. I checked everything that was threaded...supply lines to faucets and drain connections. They were all a little loose. They are designed to be tightened by hand so don't put a wrench on them and torque the dickens out of them. Just hand tighten until they are good and snug.

If there is still a leak after than the you've got to get specific about where. Start feeling under sinks for water around those connections.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:54 AM   #7
UGA

Thank you all. Fellow RV’ers are always willing to help. I started thinking about it and talking to a friend and discovered the problem. I had to take out the bottom bunk, but there was a fitting that came loose for the external hose nozzle. I went to the local hardware store and found the exact fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF2B779A-129E-43F6-B84B-FC3078387E30.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	320.7 KB
ID:	32306  
Old 03-06-2021, 08:55 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Make sure the cone washer is still there and in good shape or you'll be right back at that fitting.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:01 AM   #9
UGA

It was so strange because water was running on the floor from underneath the bottom bunk. A broken water line will do it. Lol. I’ll file this away to remember. Hopefully, it may help someone else too. I really do appreciate you all’s willingness to try help diagnose the problem.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:04 AM   #10
UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Make sure the cone washer is still there and in good shape or you'll be right back at that fitting.
I ended up cutting the elbow joint off and am planning replacing the entire fitting with a stronger one. Also, replacing the washer too. Sorry, I’m a newbie, is that want you’re referring to?
Old 03-06-2021, 09:34 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Yup!! Sounds like your learning what RV stands for: Repair Vehicle

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:37 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA View Post
I ended up cutting the elbow joint off and am planning replacing the entire fitting with a stronger one. Also, replacing the washer too. Sorry, I’m a newbie, is that want you’re referring to?
The reason the cone washer is important is that they are kind of a soft vinyl type stuff and have memory. When you crush one on the initial install they retain their shape somewhat and once you reconnect and tighten, they may not seal. How do I know? I had to hire an RV tech last time camping as I had a little drip under the sink caused by a loose PEK connector (at the elbow, like your's). I tightened it up by hand as much as I could and it leaked worse. The cone washers are not readily available at hardware or box stores so I bought a bag of a dozen on Amazon to have them handy if I ever have this issue in the future but probably won't since I only have the tub and bath sink left with these washers.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:01 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The reason the cone washer is important is that they are kind of a soft vinyl type stuff and have memory. When you crush one on the initial install they retain their shape somewhat and once you reconnect and tighten, they may not seal. How do I know? I had to hire an RV tech last time camping as I had a little drip under the sink caused by a loose PEK connector (at the elbow, like your's). I tightened it up by hand as much as I could and it leaked worse. The cone washers are not readily available at hardware or box stores so I bought a bag of a dozen on Amazon to have them handy if I ever have this issue in the future but probably won't since I only have the tub and bath sink left with these washers.

Same thing happened to me when I changed out a toilet. Everything seemed peachy keen but it started dripping a tiny bit; tightening did not help. The cone washer got "malformed" when I put it back after replacing the toilet. Shark bite fittings and a new cutoff valve and I was done.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:25 PM   #14
UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Yup!! Sounds like your learning what RV stands for: Repair Vehicle
Hahahahaha