Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2019, 03:05 PM   #41
GeekSquadOfUn

On my F-250, 2 years ago, I replaced/upgraded the radio with a new head, essentially an Android tablet combined to a radio. I can now run anything I wish: Google Maps, Waze, Sygic, Spotify, etc.

The Fit and finish is perfect. It even shows the Ford logo as it boots up. It's a no name I got direct from China for $250.

Synced to my phone, a few ODB gizmos and now, after installing the app, it connects to iN-Command in my Cougar. It works fine.

I honestly do not see the advantages at all, I much prefer to use my phone.

I think it's a non-starter. So GM can't really be excited with this. GM has always been ahead of the curve on such tech. Look at OnSTAR, I often wondered why others did not offer it too...

My 2 cents.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:38 PM   #42
Martin60

I must be doing something wrong. Just bought a 2020 29rks I down loaded the app on my phone got it paired to in-command system. I works when I am at the rv but when 100ft away it wont. has anyone had this problem.
Martin60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:52 PM   #43
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin60 View Post
I must be doing something wrong. Just bought a 2020 29rks I down loaded the app on my phone got it paired to in-command system. I works when I am at the rv but when 100ft away it wont. has anyone had this problem.
I would guess it is a Bluetooth distance issue. 100 feet for Bluetooth is not bad and I’m not sure you’ll get much more out of it.
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:20 PM   #44
LHaven

Outside 100 feet, you can run the trailer from pretty much anywhere in the world if you get the inCommand unit to attach to a Wi-Fi network wherever it's parked.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:34 AM   #45
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin60 View Post
Nothing wrong at all. You're connecting with Bluetooth (BT) and the specs for BT is 30 meters (approx 100ft). This makes sense and is the best logical way to connect in an RV.

To connect from further away, from anywhere in the world for that matter, it's a bit more involved.

Your RV needs access to the internet, the iN-Command module has a little antenna for Wi-Fi as well. You connect to the internet and register to the IN-Command "cloud" so to speak. This connection needs to be maintained all the time. That is the difficult part for most, as I have ain't that easy to get a solid, reliable and permanent connection to the internet in a campground. I guess you could have another cell phone, turn its hot spot feature on, and connect that way...

Then, from your other tablet or phone, you launch the iN-Command app and connect, this time to "the cloud", which in turn sends your request to your module in your RV.

You can control every thing that has no motor, you cannot control slides, levelling system, awnings for example, as this could lead to disasters 😎

Hope this helped.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:00 AM   #46
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Outside 100 feet, you can run the trailer from pretty much anywhere in the world if you get the inCommand unit to attach to a Wi-Fi network wherever it's parked.
That is true only for the most recent version of iN.Command. There are at least 5 versions (lite, Gen1, Pro, Pro+, and GlobalConnect). Only the most recent Global Connect system has WiFi capabilities. Prior versions DO NOT have WiFi capabilities. The newest Global Connect systems started some time around 2018. Our 2018 Raptor was built early in the model year and has the Pro+ (non-WiFi) system. From a bulk number of units built, I would guess there are probably more iN.Command systems without WiFi than those with WiFi. These earlier systems are all running on bluetooth radio (only) and would be limited to 100 feet or so in range.

At least, that is my understanding...
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
Old 04-12-2020, 06:51 AM   #47
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
That is true only for the most recent version of iN.Command. There are at least 5 versions (lite, Gen1, Pro, Pro+, and GlobalConnect). Only the most recent Global Connect system has WiFi capabilities. Prior versions DO NOT have WiFi capabilities. The newest Global Connect systems started some time around 2018. Our 2018 Raptor was built early in the model year and has the Pro+ (non-WiFi) system. From a bulk number of units built, I would guess there are probably more iN.Command systems without WiFi than those with WiFi. These earlier systems are all running on bluetooth radio (only) and would be limited to 100 feet or so in range.

At least, that is my understanding...
Correct I did forget to mention that. You need the Global Connect logo on your display module...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200412-104815.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	26357  
Old 04-12-2020, 08:59 AM   #48
JRTJH
Site Team

Remember this, IF you connect your trailer to WIFI, put it in storage while connected, leave power on the trailer AND set up the "global connect feature", you MIGHT (not always) "buttdial" your trailer, opening a slide, turning on some system or ????? If your trailer is in storage, parked "inside the slide clearance" to the next trailer, "buttdialing the slide" could prove "very damaging" not only to your slide but to the trailer parked 2' away.....

There are "built in safety features" to prevent this from happening, but as we all know from multiple posts on this forum (and elsewhere) many people ask and receive the procedure to "bypass the passcode so I don't have to enter it every time I want to do something"....

Use that feature carefully, if you have it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:35 AM   #49
LHaven

In Command...Again

Two comments – the OP mentioned that his model was a 2020 so I didn't bother to assume it was one of the earlier units without Wi-Fi. And the inCommand folks have explicitly disabled some of the more "dangerous" activities (like moving slides and awnings) so that they're not available over Wi-Fi. You can, however remotely turn on the heat, AC, or water pump, which could certainly lead to problems.

Also, you can turn off the passcode for the panel inside the system (or say that the passcode lasts forever, which is essentially the same thing), but you cannot turn off the passcode to the app to the best of my knowledge.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:40 AM   #50
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Remember this, IF you connect your trailer to WIFI, put it in storage while connected, leave power on the trailer AND set up the "global connect feature", you MIGHT (not always) "buttdial" your trailer, opening a slide, turning on some system or ????? If your trailer is in storage, parked "inside the slide clearance" to the next trailer, "buttdialing the slide" could prove "very damaging" not only to your slide but to the trailer parked 2' away.....

There are "built in safety features" to prevent this from happening, but as we all know from multiple posts on this forum (and elsewhere) many people ask and receive the procedure to "bypass the passcode so I don't have to enter it every time I want to do something"....

Use that feature carefully, if you have it.
Let me confirm. You cannot operate anything with a motor using Global Connect.

You will not operate your slides, or jacks or awnings. Impossible.

These functions only work with a Bluetooth connection, so you can 'see' what's happening.

Finally, not too many people have power and/or a permanent Wi-Fi connection while in storage. I don't know anyone who does...
Old 04-12-2020, 11:07 AM   #51
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post
Let me confirm. You cannot operate anything with a motor using Global Connect.

You will not operate your slides, or jacks or awnings. Impossible.

These functions only work with a Bluetooth connection, so you can 'see' what's happening.

Finally, not too many people have power and/or a permanent Wi-Fi connection while in storage. I don't know anyone who does...
Your first part is "good to know info" I do hope that it's accurate. The system is also designed "so you need to always enter a passcode to activate any feature". We all know how easy it is to bypass that and "conveniently" press buttons without having to "do all the access stuff"...

As for the bolded part, I know of a number of people around here who store their RV "beside the garage" or "under a pole built shelter" connected to the "house WIFI modem/router" and plugged into shore power (either through the garage 110 volt outlet or a 30/50 amp dedicated outlet). They do that so they can watch HULU or ??? while using the trailer as a "man cave/she shed"...

Many of them park "next to the fence" so they can walk next to their RV or they park next to the garage so they can walk around the RV. So there are lots of people who have active WIFI connections AND power to their RV while it's "stored"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #52
LewisB

All good points when you dive into the details. In the OP, Danny asked the question "Any catastrophic failures leaving you immobilized?" I'd like to speak to that question:

I really like the iN.Command system, but I found what was for me a near catastrophe waiting to happen. Here's the details:
  • Trailer: 2018 Raptor
  • iN.Command: ProPlus (no WiFi)
  • Main entry steps: Morryde Step Above (4 step)
  • Hydraulic Levelors: Lippert Level-Up
These are the elements that lead to a near catastrophe for us. Here's how.
  1. Truck was unhooked. Trailer was set up with steps out and main door closed.
  2. iN.Command programmed to operate front jacks for hooking/unhooking.
  3. I was working around camp, completing the setup, when I pulled out my phone and noted that I had "butt-dialed" the iN.Command operational page that included the hydraulic jack operation.
  4. Had I inadvertently caused my front jacks to retract, I would likely have destroyed the main entry door and/or the steps.
  5. Moral of the story for me: if you carry your phone around, best NOT to have the hydraulic jacks programmed to operate with the iN.Command system.
See the attached warning from Morryde. This could easily have happened to us!
1543339434-RV Step Tip_v3.pdf

Old 04-12-2020, 02:36 PM   #53
Hblick48

My biggest problem with this type of tech is when the maker decides that it has reached the "end of life" and discontinue updates and fixes.

I have a 2005 Cadillac STS that I purchased new. Touch screen GPS, radio, settings, etc. About a year ago had to replace battery. After installation, clock and GPS no longer work. Clock display "--:--". There is no way to manually set time. After spending time on Cadillac Forum, I find out that others have the same problem. Seems that vehicle clock time is set by the GPS satellites. Seems like too many weeks have passed since the initial program date (program bug), clock can't count that high. Took car to dealer, they were unable to set clock either. GM has no intention to fix. There are thousands of Cadillacs and Corvettes on the road with this issue.

15 years from now, system will die, no parts available, no mfg support. RV will be unusable.

I'll take switches anytime.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:35 PM   #54
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
My biggest problem with this type of tech is when the maker decides that it has reached the "end of life" and discontinue updates and fixes...

15 years from now, system will die, no parts available, no mfg support. RV will be unusable.

I'll take switches anytime.
I get this perspective.

However, the iN.Command system includes a major control panel in the pass-through storage area that includes the actual wiring and all the relays that operate all of the connected equipment. The controller and your phone (through bluetooth) simply control these relays. The short term backup if the iN.Command controller fails is to manually use these relays to operate all equipment (slides, awnings, etc.) - the iN.Command user's manual walks the owner through this process.

So, in my mind, if this worst case scenario were to ever happen and the iN.Command controller would not function and could not be fixed/replaced, I would simply pull a wire bundle up into the cabin and wire switches to each of these relays, thus giving me centralized switch control of all iN.Command functions. So, for me, I'm not too concerned about future useage.

Old 04-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #55
LHaven

Keep in mind it is possible to download all the current software for your inCommand unit to a thumb drive from the manufacturer's website (in fact, that's how you update your unit). So no matter what support the manufacturer may pull, you can always return your unit to basic local operation if it gets corrupted, by keeping those back up files.

Now, among the things you could use lose in the future due to discontinuation of support is the ability to access your rig over the Internet (requires the manufacturer's server to coordinate), or the app could be pulled by the manufacturer or from the App Store. Very low probability events include changes to the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth standards (e.g., a similar situation to the insecure encryption modes that browsers are no longer allowed to use).

I'm slightly concerned about any of these eventualities, but not overly concerned.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:58 PM   #56
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Many of them park "next to the fence" so they can walk next to their RV or they park next to the garage so they can walk around the RV. So there are lots of people who have active WIFI connections AND power to their RV while it's "stored"...
I hear you. I live in a big city and no one around here or any of my friends can store their RVs at home, either for space or city by-laws, we all park our coaches in RV storage lots and pay lots of money (I pay $1,000 a year) for a gravelled, secured space. No power whatsoever. I have a solar panel to keep my batteries topped up. Hence my comment. But I can appreciate some may be spoiled in luxury storage spots with power and Wi-Fi.

I spend (spent ? who knows how this crazy virus thing will turn out...) my winter months in Texas and during those 4 months have solid internet and am able to use Global Connect to its full potential. I never use it anytime else, too complicated to maintain that internet to the coach all the time.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:02 PM   #57
JRTJH
Site Team

There's another thread currently discussing GM diesel tuners for older trucks. Seems none of the "aftermarket suppliers" are supporting the older, less profitable truck platforms. As any product ages, changes will make parts of the original either obsolete or not available "in future years"...

Try finding a tail light lens for a 1950 Buick. They were available "everywhere" in 1955, but now… Not so much...

It's going to be the same with the In-Command system, but honestly, I'd suspect it's going to be the same with finding a water pump or a stereo system that's a "one for one swap" 15 years from now.

Heck, I'd suspect finding a replacement anti-siphon valve (the one that seems to always leak) 15 years from now will also be an improbability....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-13-2020, 03:19 AM   #58
notanlines

John, you knew this would happen:
https://www.ebay.com/i/183760747497?...SABEgKv_fD_BwE
1950 Buick tail light lens
Not bad for about $30 with shipping.
Back to the original conversation, I would pay extra NOT to have any 'In Command' equipment. I'll take switches any day.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:34 AM   #59
JRTJH
Site Team

Denis,

The "passcode delete" is a simple "couple of keystrokes" to eliminate the frustration of entering a passcode every time you pick up the phone. I'm sure you've already done that or at least heard about it....

As for the "no motorized equipment activated with Global Connect"... The safety interlock for that feature lockout is application of +12VDC on pin 41 on the command unit. That +12VDC triggers the "Global Connect safety Interlock" to turn it off and allow motorized components to move with the WIFI. It's already a "workaround" for anyone who wants to open/close their slides from Boston when the trailer is stored in San Francisco.... Why anyone would want to do it ??? Now I have no idea why, but like many other "safety devices" some people want to completely bypass them "because the "guvment" cant make me do it and I'll show them...…

And, yeah, many areas do allow RV's to be stored at home, next to the garage and I've seen a couple of crushed recliners and torn up refrigerator doors from "butt dialed slide closures" At least that's what they've blamed for the damage, although some of them sure do look like the owner just was outside and too lazy to walk inside to close the slide after parking it beside the garage....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-13-2020, 05:38 AM   #60
JRTJH
Site Team

I wish I had seen that back around 1968 when I couldn't find a replacement lens for my newest "All I could afford back then" ride..... Now, no longer needed, but good to know a $1.00 part is still available, even if it is used and $30.....

I'm starting to have problems finding that kind of part for my '05 Mustang... Whoda thunk it's already 15 years old and almost qualifies for "antique plates"... LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS