Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2017, 07:09 AM   #1
Trailsport07

Sway Control

Just putting it out there. After towing my camper this past weekend an hour and a half. In the most horrific winds I have ever experienced towing. I have decided to invest in a sway control product. I would like to buy something this week end. Now I know Hensley arrow is is KING, but so is the price. I have been leaning towards Blu Ox sway control. But I would like to know what others are using and would you recommend it. Thanks
Trailsport07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:34 AM   #2
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailsport07 View Post
Just putting it out there. After towing my camper this past weekend an hour and a half. In the most horrific winds I have ever experienced towing. I have decided to invest in a sway control product. I would like to buy something this week end. Now I know Hensley arrow is is KING, but so is the price. I have been leaning towards Blu Ox sway control. But I would like to know what others are using and would you recommend it. Thanks
I much prefer Equalizer 4 point with sway! My SIL had the Blu OX and changed. I used EQ for many years towing heavy and long TTs until going to 5th wheel.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

I have the Reese Straight Line system. Here's a link - http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...e/RP66074.html
IMHO it works very well, no movement from passing trucks or high winds (now I don't drive across the plains with howling winds at 50+ mph but have driven on some windy days with gusts 30+).
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #4
Tbos

What are you currently using? Lots of options out there. I use the EQ 4 point system. When lm loaded right I don't have any white knuckle experiences.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:01 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I use the Equalizer and have been very pleased. I routinely drive across the Texas plains with very high winds and it does fine. What is your tow vehicle/trailer combo? That will have a large effect on what kind of driving experience you will have.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #6
Still go once

Search StrapTek system in towing started by xrated
Still go once is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #7
dagen

Quote:
We use the e2 hitch. It is weight distribution and anti-sway. We've only been out on a half dozen trips so far, but we love it.

http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-hitch
dagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #8
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
I really like my Husky T/S. But I only have limited experience and that is all I have ever used.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Another vote for the E4. Pretty easy to set up and adjust. I bought a 1/2" impact driver at Harbor Freight for cheap ($49) and deep impact sockets. Can be done in just a few minutes.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:26 AM   #10
busterbrown

Quote:
My take on Blue Ox is this: It's great in ideal driving conditions but subpar in adverse conditions. Why do I know. I bought one, used it for the first 3 months of last year's camping season with my new trailer. After a hair raising white knuckle experience (35 MPH crosswinds), I knew it would be the last time I would drive with it on. The Equal-I-zer's and Reese Dual Cam's may be a better but the flaw is still there, that being sway CONTROL.

If you seek sway ELIMINATION, your only option is a premium hitch like Hensley or Propride. Yes, they are expensive. But my family is so worth the extra protection. Soon after I purchased the Hensley Arrow, it was tested on the way to Disney's Fort Wilderness last summer with a potentially catastrophic roadway hazard. If my trailer wasn't hooked up to a Hensley, I would not have recovered it at 60 mph. I preach about these premium hitches as I think it should be standard issue with a trailer over 30 feet. Not only do they eliminate sway, they take away the guess work of loading a trailer. Load your trailer with approximately 12% on the tongue and be done. You'll never have to worry about adding or removing fresh water from your tanks to have your weight help reduce sway. Or shift a few pounds of weight from the back of the trailer to the front of the trailer to keep the sway at bay. These hitches just eliminate sway by design.

Just an FYI, Hensley has a remanufactured product that is more than 33% off the retail price (I think around $1,800). Looks and performs like new. Lifetime warranty too. I was at our local RV show about a month ago and met my Hensley representative in person. He had a few dozen remans remaining.

It's also important to remember that most owners of a Hensley upgrade a Hensley as they move to a fifth wheel. And if that's in your future, the company will give you $1,000 towards a new 5'er hitch. BTY, you'll NEVER read a forum travel trailer thread titled "need to upgrade a Hensley or Propride hitch". And the few of us on here that pull with these hitches can honestly say, "you need to experience it to understand how much more satisfying and relaxing the towing is".
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #11
JimDogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I have the Reese Straight Line system. Here's a link - http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...e/RP66074.html
IMHO it works very well, no movement from passing trucks or high winds (now I don't drive across the plains with howling winds at 50+ mph but have driven on some windy days with gusts 30+).
I too use this system, I've had no issues in 4 years of use. Very simple to hook-up and go!
JimDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #12
the sodfather

I've got the crappy (&#128540 Equalizer hitch. Freakin' love it...👍
Old 03-09-2017, 05:34 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sodfather View Post
I've got the crappy (&#128540 Equalizer hitch. Freakin' love it...👍

^^^X2
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #14
Sherwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I also have had this system for about 3 years and I love it. I've never had any white knuckle experiences with it and I highly recommend it. And the price is fractional of the Hensley and Propride.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
2011 Cougar 31SQB Travel Trailer, EZ-Flex
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar w/Dual Cam Anti-Sway
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway control