Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2017, 07:19 AM   #1
K.C. Jones

I’m Putting the “Cold Mountain Package to the test….sort of??

If Camping in your front yard counts???

Since We took delivery of our Hideout 27DBS the weather has been like a Yo-Yo.
Seeing that the Novelty has not wore off…yet, I’ve been spending a lot of time in it.. Burning Propane!!
I’m still on my first tank with the second tank turned off??….so I will know when I exhaust the first one.
I hope that is the way everyone else does it?

Anyhow, here is a couple pictures of what 27degrees today looks like today…Yesterday it was 60 degrees, and last week we hit 77. I have the Heater set at 68 and have been very comfortable. We are going to sleep in it again this weekend with temps predicted around 15?? We slept in it last weekend and it dipped down to 24, and we were not aware of how cold it was outside.

We’re Loving the “Hideout” and so far so good with the “Cold Mountain Package”

Thanks for reading…

K.C.

K.C. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

From your neighbor down the road from you, YES looking at you pictures that counts for camping/testing. Sounds like you are having FUN Nice Rig !!! Yes,? our weather has been weird, think forcast is for a couple more inches of snow.. Not sure when pictures were taken?? See no foot prints so I believe you are comfortable in there.

As far as the propane tanks, only issue I see is with keeping one closed is running out in middle of night and having no heat Not sure if you have an automatic propane switch over valve and indicator on your rig. If so, you can keep both values open and View that indicator periodically then refill empty one as needed.

Just curious, are you still winterized or are you also testing the water systems including your tanks

Never hurts to test, test ........, before you hit the road
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
Firewall

Nice campground, does the owner have hookups? I see there is no cable so that might be a deal breaker. The sites look large though! What time is check-in?
Firewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

With the question about 1 propane bottle turned off. Just asking did you turn the valve off to that bottle. Camping near or at home is the best way to determine how everything works and if they function as intended. For the 1st time use having 1 bottle turned off will help you determine how much propane you might use while really out camping. Likely 3 to 5 days. But, while really camping do as the manual says turn both on so you do not run out when the bottle gets empty. It will happen at 2am on a cold night. Takes awhile to get propane charged thru the lines again. Just plan on 1 bottle being empty in several days and plan on getting it refilled or have another to add if your out more than a week. Just like water, dump tanks and electricity used and have left you should be checking them out daily or every few days so as not to run out.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
Tbos

I wish I had that kind of space here at the house. I Love the yard camping/testing.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:05 AM   #6
K.C. Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
From your neighbor down the road from you, YES looking at you pictures that counts for camping/testing. Sounds like you are having FUN Nice Rig !!! Yes,? our weather has been weird, think forcast is for a couple more inches of snow.. Not sure when pictures were taken?? See no foot prints so I believe you are comfortable in there.

As far as the propane tanks, only issue I see is with keeping one closed is running out in middle of night and having no heat Not sure if you have an automatic propane switch over valve and indicator on your rig. If so, you can keep both values open and View that indicator periodically then refill empty one as needed.

Just curious, are you still winterized or are you also testing the water systems including your tanks

Never hurts to test, test ........, before you hit the road

LOL…No Tracks - What are you a Pa Hunter??

If I took a picture 10 Minutes later you would of have seen plenty of Activity…..
I’m just glad I didn’t see any Bear Tracks!! We’ve been bothered with a Black that has refused to Hibernate this year?? Haven’t seen any signs of him lately, and that is fine by me!!

To answer your question on Winterized…Yes and, I’m not testing any thing water until Spring has Sprung .

I have a Regulator, but, It does not appear to have any site gauge to tell if one tank is empty?

Keep Warm

K.C.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #7
K.C. Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewall View Post
Nice campground, does the owner have hookups? I see there is no cable so that might be a deal breaker. The sites look large though! What time is check-in?
The Owner is a Tyrant…He will put you to work!! Then he will make you buy your groceries at the Company Store…No Cable!!

Just Kidding..

K.C
Old 03-03-2017, 08:07 AM   #8
K.C. Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
With the question about 1 propane bottle turned off. Just asking did you turn the valve off to that bottle. Camping near or at home is the best way to determine how everything works and if they function as intended. For the 1st time use having 1 bottle turned off will help you determine how much propane you might use while really out camping. Likely 3 to 5 days. But, while really camping do as the manual says turn both on so you do not run out when the bottle gets empty. It will happen at 2am on a cold night. Takes awhile to get propane charged thru the lines again. Just plan on 1 bottle being empty in several days and plan on getting it refilled or have another to add if your out more than a week. Just like water, dump tanks and electricity used and have left you should be checking them out daily or every few days so as not to run out.
That is very good advice, and is exactly what I have been trying to do,. I did turn the tank on that did not have the indicator pointing towards it…so I guess my regulator works??

Thanks for the tips and Have a Great Day!

K.C.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #9
K.C. Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I wish I had that kind of space here at the house. I Love the yard camping/testing.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
The best part is as long as you have wheels on the ground….They can’t tax you …lol

K.C.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:33 AM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.C. Jones View Post
The best part is as long as you have wheels on the ground….They can’t tax you …lol

K.C.
With our latest winds, I would consider that a very good thing "wheels on the ground". Do not make it too comfy inside , may find that bear inside one morning At least it looks like we missed the snow.

Take Care and YES keep Warm (no Bear throw blanket)
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #11
gbsb

we just bought a 2017 Hideout 26rlswe with the cold weather package , We are in Flagstaff AZ now in the mountains and it was 25 degrees yesterday morning. I was surprised how warm it was inside and the water did not freeze. I had the temp set at 58 and it was warm and cozy inside.
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #12
K.C. Jones

Day 24.….

I’m still sort of testing Cold Mountain Package…
.I have a Lasko Products Digital Low Profile Heater

1500W power
Natural convection air circulation
Digital display with thermostat and timer controls
Widespread oscillation
Tip-over safety switch
Automatic overheat protection
Carry handles
Measures 41" x 7" x 10-1/2"
ETL listed; 1-year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
Made in China

Works Great and keeps the Hideout around 60.f … with the temps in the teens outside and some pretty nasty winds!! (Furnace set at 55 hardly runs)

When I’m hanging out in the RV I crank the Temp up to 68 The Furnace will run up to 71 before it shuts off, and I am very impressed at how quick the furnace achieves the setting.. I might add …I‘m in my stocking feet and the floors are nice and warm
I’m still on my first 30 pound tank, and I still have the second one turned off..

What will happen to my furnace when I run out? I read somewhere that the furnace fan will keep running …is that true?? (30.000 BTU Suburban)

I have been constantly checking for any type of moisture “sweat” and she is dry as a bone!!! Windows clear as a bell…

So on Day 24 I am Very Pleased with the Hideout and how comfortable it is..
Because --. Mother Nature has been cruel to N/W Pa …lately !!!

Thanks for Reading..

K.C.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:14 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds like things are going great! Also sounds like you're having fun and that's what it's all about.

It's day 24 and still on the first propane tank? I assume you are staying in the trailer off and on. This is just my suggestion but, turn on both propane tanks. If you don't I can assure you you will run out of propane on the one tank at the most inopportune time; been there done that (accidentally). Staying in it sporadically isn't going to tell you how long a tank will last under continuous use anyway, plus, you can do that with both tanks on.

When we are camping in cold weather I go look at my tank after 3 days use (from being full). Then I look at it every 3 days. When I see the indicator has turned red I remove the empty tank and fill it and continue on. I will say if a full tank has ran 5 days (this would be in COLD) weather I will start checking more frequently. In warmer weather I don't really worry about it but once every 10-15 days. Of course our primary use of propane is the furnace. We cook very little in the RV but I do use the LP on the hot water heater each night for my shower. Anyway, don't worry about the LP tanks and turn them on. You have plenty of reserve to let one run out, let it switch then just fill the empty one. Good luck!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:12 PM   #14
hdxbonez

I full time in New Hampshire in my Cougar. Because my water system is active, I primarily heat with the furnace, and supplement with an oil filled electric heater. When it gets really cold, below zero at night, and single digits in the day, I get about 2 days out of a 30 lb bottle. When nights are in the teens and days are in the 30's, a bottle will last about 5 days. This is with the thermostat set at 60 most of the time, but turned up to 68 for a few hours a day when I get home from work. It costs $14 to fill a 30# bottle here, I've averaged about $5 a day for propane through the winter this year.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:15 AM   #15
K.C. Jones

Shoo-WEE ……
I poked my head inside the RV this morning and the Temp was at 49 degrees F.
I depleted one of my 30# pound bottles some time during the night!!!
I’m sure glad I spent the night in the Big House…lol
The Furnace was not trying to kick on, nor was the fan running continuously.

Before I opened up my second 30# tank I set the Thermostat a couple degrees colder then room temperature….so I could control when the Furnace kicked on.
Everything worked great, and the Furnace performed flawless.
The only thing I wish I would of did differently is… open the Propane tank slowly! I spun it wide open like you would do with a water spigot.
I could here the regulator energize and I don’t think that is a good thing?
Oh well, it appears it’s no worse for the wear.

I might add that the fridge has been working just fine, and the cold weather does not seem to affect its performance.
Also, I have yet to see any Condensation, anywhere!!
I am very pleased…so far!! - with the “stick and tin” insulation/construction Our 27DBS Hideout has……
I’m thinking as soon as morning temps consistently hold in the Thirties I’m going put the water to it??
Anyhow, So far so good with the Keystone “Cold Mountain Package”

Thanks for reading

K.C.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #16
KrowNB

I'm thinking you have no condensation because you're not staying in it for any length of time. We bought out 2017 25RKS last Aug. On our last trip in Oct (NB, Canada), the windows were running with water. Maybe if we had a fan on???? We have the Cold Weather Package but the windows are single pane.

Wondering how others are finding condensation when staying/breathing within the trailer in cold weather.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #17
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Yep you need to open the vent and maybe even run the fan. Alternatively you could run a dehumidifier. Both will work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:01 AM   #18
K.C. Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrowNB View Post
I'm thinking you have no condensation because you're not staying in it for any length of time. We bought out 2017 25RKS last Aug. On our last trip in Oct (NB, Canada), the windows were running with water. Maybe if we had a fan on???? We have the Cold Weather Package but the windows are single pane.

Wondering how others are finding condensation when staying/breathing within the trailer in cold weather.
I'm sure staying in the RV 24/7 would effect the humidity level, and the dehumidifier ctbruce mentioned is a most excellent suggestion... that and venting the air. Whenever I would open the blinds in the morning the windows would have some condensation that would wipe off with ease, using a Bounty.
I think using an electric heater part of the day helped hold the dampness down.
Have a Great Day!!
K.C.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

We had never had a problem with condensation until this winter - and it was very minor. Went ahead a bought a dehumidifier and wow, they make a difference. We couldn't believe how much water it removed from the air. Now it's part of the regular stuff we take on every trip. Well worth the money IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote