Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2020, 03:49 AM   #1
mbi777

Freshwater Fill/City Water Hookups on Laredo 288RL

Thought this would be fitting for everyone to see after I noticed that TheGriz had the same trailer as mine and sent him a private message. He took the time to explain my questions being a newbie so hopefully this will help others:

Noticed you have a 2018 288RL Laredo like I do. I had my first experience with it last week. A few questions if you don't mind.

1. When I have the valve on CITY can I keep the pressure on it all the time while at the campground? Or should I shut it off when I am not in the trailer. YES, you can leave the valve on CITY. Just be sure you have a water pressure regulator at the Campground spigot keeping PSI at 40 or below.

2. When I use the valve on Tank FILL how do I know when the freshwater tank is full? Do I wait until the water comes out of the tank vent? I fill until water comes out the vent if I want it full. If you just want half a tank or whatever, keep an eye on the 'fresh water gauge' on the monitor/switch panel. BTW...not sure how you sanitize, but I put a cup of standard household beach in a gallon of water, and put it in via the water vent with a funnel and small diameter hose attached to funnel. I put the bleach solution in with tank roughly half full, then top off with water. Then I put on water pump and open all faucets until I smell chlorine at each faucet...both hot and cold. Leave overnight, then empty tank, and refill and draw fresh water into all faucets again, then empty tank one more time.

3. Is there a gravity fill if no water pressure supply? Was thinking that I would pull the strainer out of the vent to fill there. Yes, you can certainly gravity fill fill the overflow without the screen. Just be careful...about foreign matter getting in. I'd use a old piece of a teeshirt taped to end of hose to catch anything that might be in water source.
4. How do you use the BLACK TANK FLUSH? Simply attach a hose to your black tank flush, and attach to water supply, again no more than 40 psi via a pressure regulator. BE SURE YOUR BLACK TANK GATE VALVE IS OPEN!!! And just let it run. It's not especially effective. If I want a REALLY good black tank flush, I will take a hose into the bathroom, with hose nozzle shoot a high pressure stream of water directly into toilet to break up that 'poop pyramid', again making sure gate valve is open. I monitor by using a flashlight looking directly into toilet while flushing. The necessary evil of RVing!!!

I hope I have helped you out. We love our 288RL, hope you love yours.

Thanks so much for your help!
Lee

Thanks so much for the quick response! My questions were well answered.
Very much appreciated.
Lee
Ps....yes we really enjoyed our first trip in it last week. Seems to be well made. I did have to tighten all the connections at the pump though. Prolly something that needs to be done every so often.
mbi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:22 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The only "recommendation" that I would fault is leaving the trailer with the water system connected and turned on.

Trailers are built with PEX (good quality water lines) but with plastic fittings. Any time you use an "inferior elbow or tee fitting and have "rushed employees" doing the crimping, you have a good potential for a damaged fitting or a incorrectly applied crimp ring.

When using the onboard water pump, you'll hear the pump cycling if there's a leak. When using the city water supply, unless it's extremely quiet (like in the middle of the night) you won't hear the water running (major leak) and it's even less likely you'll hear a "minor leak"...

When towing a trailer to a campsite, it's difficult to know if something in a cupboard might be "slamming into the PEX/plastic fittings" under the counter or if the slide is "stretching the PEX in the underbelly with every bump in the road"... So, what works super at home just might be a "broken or leaking component or fitting" in the campground.

As with any leak, it can occur "immediately upon pressurizing the system" or it can occur "at some time later on when the component finally fails"....

Leaving the water supply pressurized when not at the trailer is a "great way to destroy a new RV or even an older one that's never had a plumbing leak"..

I always turn off the water to the trailer (at the faucet on the campground post) when leaving the trailer unattended.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:15 AM   #3
mbi777

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The only "recommendation" that I would fault is leaving the trailer with the water system connected and turned on.

Trailers are built with PEX (good quality water lines) but with plastic fittings. Any time you use an "inferior elbow or tee fitting and have "rushed employees" doing the crimping, you have a good potential for a damaged fitting or a incorrectly applied crimp ring.

When using the onboard water pump, you'll hear the pump cycling if there's a leak. When using the city water supply, unless it's extremely quiet (like in the middle of the night) you won't hear the water running (major leak) and it's even less likely you'll hear a "minor leak"...

When towing a trailer to a campsite, it's difficult to know if something in a cupboard might be "slamming into the PEX/plastic fittings" under the counter or if the slide is "stretching the PEX in the underbelly with every bump in the road"... So, what works super at home just might be a "broken or leaking component or fitting" in the campground.

As with any leak, it can occur "immediately upon pressurizing the system" or it can occur "at some time later on when the component finally fails"....

Leaving the water supply pressurized when not at the trailer is a "great way to destroy a new RV or even an older one that's never had a plumbing leak"..

I always turn off the water to the trailer (at the faucet on the campground post) when leaving the trailer unattended.
Thanks! Just a few seconds it would take to do this. Better safe than sorry
mbi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:38 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I also never leave the water on if if I'm not present or when towing. I don't mean turn the water off if I'm 2 campsites away or walk to the office for ice cream but rather leaving the camp ground.
Over the years I've turned off the water to more than one trailer with water pouring out the underbelly and no one home.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laredo, water