Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2019, 05:12 AM   #21
StevyG

Ok, that may been a little over top...I digress
StevyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:55 AM   #22
jsmith948

For the OP: My Dometic furnace failed after about 1 1/2 years and having used the furnace quite a lot during early spring and late fall trips.

After reading the troubleshooting section in the manual and after watching several U-tube videos, I removed the furnace from the bottom of the pantry. This enabled me to access the sail switch and the high-limit switch. Checked both for continuity and they tested o.k.

I then went online and purchased a Dinosaur brand control board from Amazon for something around $100. Plugged the new board in and the furnace worked just fine.

Two days of my time and $100 and done. I'm not advocating that you disregard the warranty. I just think it was less hassle to fix it myself. JMHO

Added: My post was meant to be a response to StevyG, not the OP - my apologies

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:22 AM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

FYI- if the board is replaced under warranty, manufacturer requires OEM for payment.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:02 AM   #24
Newback

Update: my RV guy just called and said the blower motor was bad, and he also replaced the sail switch; the sail switch was good but it was under a recall so he went ahead and replaced it. The furnace is working properly now.
Newback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:58 AM   #25
StevyG

Update Repair man there a 2nd time.
They finally realized.l, (which some of u fine people deduced) the control board igniter module had an issue. In process on replacing. My neighbor with 2019 cougar had a bad sail switch he just fixed..
Old 10-25-2019, 05:58 AM   #26
ChuckS

Probably the best thing owners could do when having issues with a furnace , water heater, etc is to not panic

Record exactly what the symptoms are...example..

No furnace heat...
1. Does fan run Yes/No?
2. If fan runs do I have propane in tank. Yes/No
3. If propane is good and valve on an you hear DSI making popping sound?

Just an example of steps to take

I’d then have a downloaded manual for the model of the unit having issues with and read how it works, theory of operation, and troubleshooting section

If it’s brand new but not feasible to return to dealer then if you have skill sets and some basic tools you could fix it

Learning how to fix things is a part of RVing... unless you have lots of bucks to burn for high $$$ labor bills and marked up parts cost

YMMV

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:19 PM   #27
StevyG

My issue is resolved...the control board..$840 later..lets see if Keystone covers it..less than a year old.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:37 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevyG View Post
My issue is resolved...the control board..$840 later..lets see if Keystone covers it..less than a year old.
Keystone does not warranty the furnace. During the first year (the Keystone "inclusive warranty period" Keystone will "process the furnace warranty for you (through the dealership's documentation). After the first year, when the Keystone warranty has expired, the responsibility to process the remaining warranty claims falls on the dealer, the repair service or the RV owner.

It's all in your Keystone Owner's Manual. If you've got the 2019 version, it's on page 10 in a section titled: "APPLIANCE AND COMPONENT WARRANTY SERVICE/ADMINISTRATION:"

The last sentence, bolded for emphasis by Keystone reads: "Keystone is not warranting any appliance or components. In no way shall Keystone’s Limited Warranty be modified or amended by this provision."

Your "beef" is with the furnace manufacturer, not Keystone. They are only acting as a "middleman to file the paperwork" regarding your furnace issue. Since, from what you've posted, the furnace was repaired by a "third party serviceman" not by a Keystone dealer, you may find that Keystone sends you a note stating, "Not our problem".... I hope not, but wouldn't be surprised if that's your result.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevyG View Post

Don't know the particulars of what you had the repairman do but if he just replaced the control board you were taken to the cleaners IMO...Another reason to do those things yourself. Can't remember what it cost me when I replaced mine but it wasn't near that much.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:24 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Suburban OEM furnace control board: $79.20 at Amazon
Dinosaur Furnace control board: $99.97 at Amazon

Both can be ordered cheaper by shopping around.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:16 AM   #31
German Shepherd Guy

Hello StevyG: Glad to hear it was fixed and what the problem was. Seems like the repair bill was a bit high but that is what it is.
Next step is to remember that your appliances are not warrantied by Keystone. So be sure to contact the manufacture of the appliance with all the pertinent information. Contact info is in all that paperwork you got with the trailer. Document well and maybe even have a letter from your repair person detailing what they needed to do and how they diagnosed what the problem was.

Good luck.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:56 AM   #32
RickBetterley

Our sail switch was clogged with dog fur.
RickBetterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:26 AM   #33
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newback View Post
Update: my RV guy just called and said the blower motor was bad, and he also replaced the sail switch; the sail switch was good but it was under a recall so he went ahead and replaced it. The furnace is working properly now.
In my neck of the woods I have a dealer with a parts lady who is more knowledgeable and honest than any RV employee I have met. I too have had lots of start up problems with our ATWOOD furnace and it is the sail switch. I leave the cover off and just give the switch a tap after 10 secs or so and it fires up. She explained 'they' knew the design was bad but do NOT yet have a replacement. I attempted some sail reshaping (because the switch is positioned 90 degrees wrong) to get better airflow pressure. It mostly works but still is not 100%. She said they have been working on a replacement for a while (years?) now but still an issue. I am wondering if it's not the shape, but the pivot point which may explain why many work and some don't and some replacements fix it. I may try a drop of oil on the pivot and see if that helps.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:31 AM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
In my neck of the woods I have a dealer with a parts lady who is more knowledgeable and honest than any RV employee I have met. I too have had lots of start up problems with our ATWOOD furnace and it is the sail switch. I leave the cover off and just give the switch a tap after 10 secs or so and it fires up. She explained 'they' knew the design was bad but do NOT yet have a replacement. I attempted some sail reshaping (because the switch is positioned 90 degrees wrong) to get better airflow pressure. It mostly works but still is not 100%. She said they have been working on a replacement for a while (years?) now but still an issue. I am wondering if it's not the shape, but the pivot point which may explain why many work and some don't and some replacements fix it. I may try a drop of oil on the pivot and see if that helps.
I'd suggest using dry lube or silicone as apposed to oil. That sail switch is exposed to unfiltered air and oil will quickly attract dust and debris.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:51 AM   #35
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'd suggest using dry lube or silicone as apposed to oil. That sail switch is exposed to unfiltered air and oil will quickly attract dust and debris.
NO OIL!!! besides the dust/dirt there is a lot of heat generated inside the furnace....IF it catches fire you may not know soon enough to do anything about it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:16 AM   #36
Ken / Claudia

I think he should pay for a lawyer and file a class action lawsuit. They need to make money too. Heck most have children that need to be put through college and what about the inground pool they might need one for their house parties with other lawyer friends. I would sign up since my control board failed, I want my 5 bucks after the settlement in about 10 years. I made out great with a lawn mower lawsuit. I think I got 6.50 check that went in the garage.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #37
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
NO OIL!!! besides the dust/dirt there is a lot of heat generated inside the furnace....IF it catches fire you may not know soon enough to do anything about it.
I misspoke, I had already thought of that and will use a tiny drop of graphite.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #38
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBetterley View Post
Our sail switch was clogged with dog fur.
Ours was fouled with manufacturing sawdust and styro, replaced under warranty (sat at the dealer's for four weeks). Just returned from a seven-week trip with two large shedding dogs, and no burps from the furnace whatsoever. Also a 2019 Cougar.

My rig has been sawdust heaven: in the pantry (fell out of the walls on trips during the first year until it emptied out), in the shore cable storage and behind the fusebox (installing an EMS), in the water heater cavity (installing a check valve), in the water pump compartment (installing a screen filter)... Keystone factory is clearly no white-glove operation.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #39
Mark T

I had the same issue. After dealer replaced the control board the issue remained. Turned out to be the “resettable” fuse. Pulled it, replaced it with a a standard 15 amp fuse and no problems since. Good luck.
Mark T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #40
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
I had the same issue. After dealer replaced the control board the issue remained. Turned out to be the “resettable” fuse. Pulled it, replaced it with a a standard 15 amp fuse and no problems since. Good luck.
Since my furnace will fire up if I just bang on the side of the RV while it is attempting to start the sail switch is the most likely reason.

Tags
furnace