Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
New from Tehachapi

Pocket door

Big mistake, didn't secure pocket door before traveling. The rear roller came off track. I haven't been able to reach it and put it back. The door now sits with the rear resting on the floor. The door is between the shower and the pantry. Do I cut a hole in the pantry wall to get to it? Any suggestions?
New from Tehachapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
gkainz

I'm nowhere near my unit right now, but I think I recall seeing screws in the top header trim boards (one or both sides of the door frame) that I suspect you can remove to get better access to the rollers and track?
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

We had a similar incident with our pocket door. For some unknown reason, the track pulled out of the ceiling and since it virtually impossible to get at to repair it, we decided to put a couple of blocks underneath the door and along the bottom sides. The door is now secure, inside its pocket but unusable. I am not about to tear a wall apart to fix the door and am looking at installing a collapsible,folding accordian-type door instead.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
raytronx

On mine there are 2 pieces of trim on either side of the door at the top. They can unscrew and gives access to the rollers.

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Yes, I have the trim and the track above the entry way which is open and accessible. However, the track has also ripped out of the upper inside of the pocket. It is impossible to get access to that portion of the track. Hopefully, the OP's problem doesn't extend into the pocket itself.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Mighty Ming

Ok had the same issue. Thought about making a hole in the pantry wall but instead removed the trim at the top (both sides) pulled the door off and needed a way to re install the track to the ceiling where it pulled away (screws fell out). I went to Harbor Freight and bought the two longest extensions (really really long) for my drill. Not sure of exact length as a friend has borrowed it. If needed put three extensions together. Picked up some adhesive caulking (power grab at Home Depot Liquid nails will work too) and the same length but slightly over sized screws. I removed the track drilled a few extra holes in it smeared the ceiling side of the track with power grab as well as the screws and reached in with my drill (used a thin drill as my 18 volt was to big to fit in the pocket) and screwed away. Let it sit over night and then re installed door. Took some patience working in the confined area but it got the job done. I didn't have a helper so a head mounted light was a big plus. If you have some one with long skinny arms it ll be much easier. I had been dreading that repair for months!! Door is now solid and the DW is happy. As a matter of fact she showed me just how happy she was by closing the door .... And leaving me alone!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Mingo -
I like your idea but, unfortunately, it won't work for me. When the door and the track pulled away from the ceiling, several of the screws dropped down into the track and have lodged themselves in such a way that the door cannot be moved into the opening. I can move it about 3-4 inches outward but that is it.

We are okay with not being able to use it. Its only function is to separate the main living area from the upper bedroom and to provide some privacy when company stays over - hasn't happened yet. Besides, nothing is happening in our bedroom so no need to close the door.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
Mighty Ming

Hmmm would taking out the screws in the track that is visible give you any flexibility ie .. Angle the door enough to reach in there with a probe to jar the jammed screws loose? Then again if its not a prob leaving it open... Why hassle with it. Tks for what you do in keeping the site up n running!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytronx View Post
On mine there are 2 pieces of trim on either side of the door at the top. They can unscrew and gives access to the rollers.
X2.............Had a trailer with a pocket door and yes the trim pieces above the door come off to gain access
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
camper 2010

The best way I found to replace the track is screw it into place where you can get to. cut a 2x2 the length from floor to track. Place this 2x2 next to outside wall ,glue in place, This will support the end of track you cannot get to.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

Once you get it fixed ...... while traveling I fold our welcome mat and wedge it between the door and the wall ..... stores the mat and keeps the door from rattling and opening the snap that holds it.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
81SHOVELHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Once you get it fixed ...... while traveling I fold our welcome mat and wedge it between the door and the wall ..... stores the mat and keeps the door from rattling and opening the snap that holds it.
Good idea .
Thanks Hank
81SHOVELHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
Jager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Yes, I have the trim and the track above the entry way which is open and accessible. However, the track has also ripped out of the upper inside of the pocket. It is impossible to get access to that portion of the track. Hopefully, the OP's problem doesn't extend into the pocket itself.
Sorry, I know it is an old thread.

I have the same problem. I am pretty upset with the poor quality of the original install. I see no way to correct this problem without taking the wall apart. Removing the trim just won't cut it.

I'm not looking forward to this repair.
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #14
Festus2
Site Team

A friend of mine who has the identical Cougar as we do has had the same pocket door problem. If you can believe this, his BIL who is a carpenter recently came over, took a look at his door and fixed it within minutes. I haven't yet spoken to this "miracle carpenter" but I plan on giving him a call and see if (a) he will fix mine or (b) tell me what he did to fix it.

When I find out, I'll post it here for you.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #15
Jager

Would love to hear about this miracle repair myself. I am currently building my 5th home and doing most of the work myself. So I know my way around things like this and I see no way of fixing it without taking the wall apart. On my rig the pocket door fits in between the shower which is on one side and the entry door on the other. It is just a finished wall on that side. Also, my door is still on the track . . . so that isn't the problem. However the track which is buried in the wall has come off the ceiling. So to fix this I would have to get a screw driver or power tool inside the wall and reattach the track to the ceiling.
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:07 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

It looks like Cougar finally did it right on the new sliding doors. Ours is not a pocket door but rather is two sliding doors, one in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. They built a small wall section in the middle of the trailer separating the bath and bedroom. On the front side, they mounted an L track along the top of that wall and attached a door to slide across to the curb side to close off the bedroom. On the bath side, they mounted the L and door to slide to the roadside to close off the bath from the bedroom. Both of these doors, when closed completely separate the bath from the bedroom. The L tracks are simply covered with a 2" piece of molding mounted along the top of the wall section. To access the door slide mechanism is a simple process of removing 3 screws in the molding to expose the entire slide/door assembly.

I'm hoping it doesn't break, but if it does, it looks like it would be easy to get into the "workings" to fix it. I was concerned when we bought this Cougar that I'd be facing the pocket door problems down the line. Hopefully this is a change for the better????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #17
BigCajun

On my Raptor, I am able to barely fit my fingers above the door enough to unlatch the plastic "hook", slide the male piece from the door into the female catch on the track and latch the plastic "hook" back. This happens pretty frequent on the horrible Louisiana roads that I travel. It's a wonder the camper has not fallen apart by now.