Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
kfcflores

Tahoe towing Keystone Outback 27RSDS??

Ok guys, I purchased a 2006 Keystone Outback 27RSDS. The specs on trailer are 5400 UVW with 1800 carry cap, 480 hitch.

My tv is a 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 2wd v8 5.3 with 3.73 gears. I have the trailering package and looking at my build sheet have a VR4 "trailer hitch (weight distributing platform) eqlzr hitch. Is this the equalizer hitch everybody talks about?

I'm picking up the trailer in 2 days. In the front pass thru was a big hitch with some bars that the dealer said was a sway control system for the trailer.

Am I going to be okay with this set up? I live in Northern California and will be doing just occassional trips to local lakes. I sold my 22 foot ski boat to get the trailer. I towed the boat no problem, but I understand this is a different beast.

Getting another tv is not an option. I also bought and am going to install the tekonsha ps3 brake controller this weekend. I went in on the trailer with my brother who has a 2007 chevy avalanche. We will be taking turns towing and whoever tows the other will try to pack more gear. I'm not trying to break any records getting to where I need to go, just want to be safe. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin
kfcflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
curlyfungirl

We used our Taho to pull our 2008 VR I. I believe it was 27 feet long. It pulled better than my Husbands monster Dodge Ram!
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
kfcflores

Hey everybody,
So I picked up my trailer today. Did a complete walk thru with the guy and took lots of notes, but I'm sure I will have questions later on how to flush, fill or light something. But onto the tow stuff. I found out the weight distribution system I have is the EAZ Hitch system. Is a big HD WD hitch and has two bent bars with chains that you attach to hooks on the trailer. We hooked up the tounge jacked it up and then made a couple link adjustments until it was right. And off I was. I had just installed the Tekonsha P3 brake controller and found a straight road nearby and did the adjustments needed for that. I think I ended up at 8 power with boost 2. I towed about 10 miles in the countryside about 35-40 mph and then was on the freeway about 50 miles going steady at 55-60mph. I was towing in 3rd gear with the tow/haul switch activated and the tow felt really good. Didn't feel like it was really tugging me too bad, braking was good and the engine didn't feel like it was straining at all. I am going to load it up next week and drive to the scales to get some true numbers. Didn't have time today. When I got home I started reading some reviews on the hitch system. It looks like what I got was just the WD hitch and there may also be a sway control component to hitch. Should I get that also? Is that something I can install myself. Thanks again for all the help guys. I may have to also get some add on extendo mirrors, kind of hard seeing way back there (any ideas 2007 tahoe). I feel a lot better tonight than I had been the last couple days. I'm ready to camp and finally be off the groung and off a tent.

Ps. I will upload pic of my set up soon.

Kevin
Old 01-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
twstdpear

I have two concerns with this setup:

1) This trailer (7200 gross) is effectively over your vehicle's *usable* towing capacity which is 6750lbs for typical use (7700 towing capacity - 450 total for 3 passengers - 500lb cargo). Your numbers may obviously vary depending on whether you're above the driver allowance (typically 150lbs), how many passengers are in the vehicle, and how much actual cargo you have in the vehicle. Lacking other information I used a relatively skinny family of four (150lbs each) and what I consider to be a medium amount of cargo in the tow vehicle. This also assumes your particular vehicle has a 7700lb towing capacity. Only your manual can tell you this for sure.

The weight issue can be mitigated *somewhat* with being extremely meticulous about the weight of items in the trailer and tow vehicle, but nothing beats a good amount of extra available tow capacity cushion to keep you safe. My usual rule of thumb is to have the trailer be no more than 80% of the towing capacity of the tow vehicle, and to also use the trailer's GVWR (dry/unloaded weight plus maximum cargo) to calculate 80%. In your case, that would be a trailer of around 6200lbs.

You should really weigh this setup fully loaded for a trip (including passengers) to make sure you aren't overweight anywhere. At a minimum, you should weigh the tow vehicle disconnected and by itself, trailer disconnected and by itself, the combination (preferably with separate weights shown for the TV and the trailer).

2) The wheelbase of the Tahoe is relatively short. A quick search shows your Tahoe at 116". Some say that you'd need a longer vehicle (i.e., 145-160" wheelbase) to handle a trailer over 22'. This will be particularly an issue at higher speeds, passing large commercial trucks (search google for "truck bow wave sway"), and in high winds. A good WDH+anti-sway setup can mitigate a lot of these issues, but even it can only do so much.
twstdpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Badboy

We pull a Cougar 31RKS with our Four wheel drive Tahoe LTZ,and the trailer is 6990 dry,no problems pulling,and we pull it to Michigan,mileage is about 185 miles one way.The only problem is gas mileage,7 to 8 mile to the gallon,some times 9 if we are lucky.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
chuck&gail

Better take a trip to the scales, with TT loaded and TV packed also. I suspect you will find;

You are WAY over the hitch weight rating on your Tahoe.

You are way over your Tahoe rear GAWR.

You are probably over the Tahoe GVWR.

You might be over the Tahoe rear TIRE ratings.

I'd sure want to not be over ANY of those weights, it isn't safe IMO.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
kfcflores

Well I took tv to the scales today. Full tank of gas and loaded up with wifey kids and gear I would take.
Front axle was 2600#
Rear axle 2780#
Total vehicle weight 5380#

I am taking TT hooked to TV Saturday for weight of whole package.