Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Tinbender

Hensley, ProPride comparison ???

Hi all,
I am sure this horse has been flogged to death in these forums but I wasn't in on the beating so am not aware of the outcome. I have searched this forum and others, as well as YouTube for factual information on the comparison of the two products but all I really come up with falls into two major categories; company hype and testimonials. The hype is informative but of course biased and the testimonials generally boil down to " I bought this brand so it is the best" I thought I had found one independent information source but it turned out to be a biased fact sheet distributed by one company being critiqued by the other company.
Is there any factual independent research source available on these two brands of articulated hitch in comparison to each other as well as other hitch types.

Thanks for any advice or leads.
Tinbender
Tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Tinbender -
Are you just interested in where you can find "independent, factual research" OR are you interested in hearing what others on here who use one of these hitches have to say - in other words, "testimonials"?? If you are looking for the opinions of our members who have them, then you might consider doing a forum search since both of the hitches that you mentioned have been discussed in great detail previously. There is considerable feedback/information already available here for you to browse through.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Avofarmer66

Propride worked great W/30ft TT

We now have a 5er Montana and the Propride is resting and looking for work. Anyone have a job for a Propride P3 1400 it is needing a new home..
Avofarmer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
f6bits

The only unbiased info I *know* is that the "Hensley" is one specific design licensed by the *person* Hensley to the company that named itself Hensley. The person continued to refine the design and Propride has used these refinements in their product.

That being said, they're both excellent by all accounts, but I'd go with the Propride. Never a complaint about either, but I usually go with "newer is better." And the Hensley color is ugly.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
f6bits

Oh, and I believe that the Hensley requires that you drill into the frame, while the Propride does not. With that in mind, reports on installation indicate it's not that big deal if you've got the time.

Weight looks to be 150 or so for the trailer part. Another 50 or so for the hitch receiver part.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
gepaine

Ugly?

f6bits,

So my Henlsey is "ugly"!!?? How dare you say such a thing?!!

Seriously though, it took me about 3 hours to install it, I did have to drill through the frame but I don't see that as a decision factor since it was so easy, and I would say the receiver hitch component is more like 35-40 pounds rather than 50+ as estimated by another poster.

And most importantly, towing has never been as carefree, safe, and smooth for me since getting the Hensley! Well worth the big price they go for.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
eartha

Smile Hitch

I too think both are a great hitch. The price is a little high, but what price do you put on safety. I went with Pro Pride after looking at both.
Happy Trails
eartha is offline   Reply With Quote