Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Nomad2009

Jensen Stereo/IPod connection

Anyone have any issues with the Jensen USB port connecting iPod? It says loading and never connects..

Spent all that time getting all my classics set up for my 3 zone speakers to get my outdoor tunes going while grilling, eeeeehhhh loading...........nada

LOL

Lee
2012 Cougar 30RKS
2012 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Nomad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
f6bits

I thought the Jensen USB port was for MP3s and not an iPod dock. That’s why I use the AUX jack instead. Plain audio and I select the music from my iPhone.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Nomad2009

Maybe you are right, I would have tried that but didn't have a cable. Its on my list. It said MP3 player hookup, of course the sales guy said its "got the USB for your iPod"

I will do that though, thanks!!!

Lee
2012 Cougar 30RKS
2012 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Nomad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
109rfan

Yeah fooled ya it just the earphone plug style setup I was disappointed its not the good iPod connect
109rfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
slewis95407

Nomad2009

Jensen makes an ipod cable that plugs into the back of the unit. Sold sepperatley.

Scott

Fulltimer
2011 Cougar 326MKS
1997 F250 Reg. Cab. 7.3L
slewis95407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis95407 View Post
Nomad2009

Jensen makes an ipod cable that plugs into the back of the unit. Sold sepperatley.
correct. but depending on the Jensen model it may offer only limited functionaliy with your IPOD. On my Jensen, (AM795???)you can play tunes, but not select tracks etc. from the radio.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
parkgirl

Jensen ipod connection

Here's a link to the Jensen site that describes the ipod connector:

http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen...ace-cable.html

Hope that link works, it's the first time I've tried to do that on this forum.

One question I have, since I haven't yet picked up my trailer, is that my Jensen is installed in a base cabinet. How do I access the back of it to attach this cable?
Thanks,
parkgirl
parkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
86GT2r

The plastic trim plate around the radio will pop off with a little pressure. Behind that are 4 screws. Remove them & carfully pull the radio out of the opening. There is a messy wad of wires back there, so be careful on removal & re-installation so you don't damage them.
---------------------
86GT2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
parkgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86GT2r View Post
The plastic trim plate around the radio will pop off with a little pressure. Behind that are 4 screws. Remove them & carfully pull the radio out of the opening. There is a messy wad of wires back there, so be careful on removal & re-installation so you don't damage them.
Thanks. That sounds more complicated than I would have hoped, and I can't really imagine how this will work once I access the back and plug in the connector. I think I'll wait to buy the connector until we have the trailer and see what it looks like. Too bad, I was expecting to have the tunes playing while we're setting up... oh well...
Old 05-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
Outbackmel

Jensen

On my unit, you cannot reach the rear of the stereo. Very difficult and screwed up concept IMHO .... Ensure you understand your specific cord needs and accessability before ordering.

Good luck
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
86GT2r

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkgirl View Post
Thanks. That sounds more complicated than I would have hoped, and I can't really imagine how this will work once I access the back and plug in the connector. I think I'll wait to buy the connector until we have the trailer and see what it looks like. Too bad, I was expecting to have the tunes playing while we're setting up... oh well...
It sounds more difficult then it really is. The radio can easily be out, cable connected, & back installed in less then 10 minutes.
---------------------
86GT2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
Outbackmel

"Easily" pulled out

Really, I have never had any EZ experiences with anything I needed to modify inside or out on any RV. My radio fits flush with a boxed in effect by cabinetry. Even getting it out, installing the cable, step one...not going back in with a cable attached, so drilling or cutting necessary.

To me, it's not worth the effort.

My issue is with Keystone. Everyone that I know uses their TV's for photo viewing and radios for IPod, etc. They need to get on board with american way of life and make these things EZ to attach to and use.

Car manufacturers use people to sit in designed vehicles to ensure accessability, comfort, safety, etc...things don't happen magically, they have to be engineered. If not, we would all be driving black, model A, Fords with that beautiful velour interior they offered...yeah, that's the ticket.

Let's work towards encouraging the factory to meet consumer needs versus throwing something out there that "can" be modified.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
ktmracer

Our 295RE has very good acess to the TV and stereo. took only a few minutes to attach the IPOD adapter to the Jensen. in another 10 minutes I had two more HDMI inputs to the TV for my camcorder, camera etc.

In neither case did I need to remove the TV or stereo, the back was accessible with the TV in the "up" position on the TV lift.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #14
parkgirl

mp3 player question

So, I decided that it was maybe simpler to just use an mp3 player than to bother with installing the ipod cord to the back of the jensen. Now when I look at the jensen instructions for playing an mp3 they say "insert disc and start to play then eject disc" and apparently some menu comes up which you make some selections from. What disc? I was assuming that you could plug in an mp3 player but they don't say anything about any input jack for that.

Can anyone tell me if I can plug in an mp3 player on the front of the jensen (maybe into the "audio in" but those are separated into left and right) and what sort of connections/cable I'd need for that.
Thanks,
parkgirl
Old 06-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #15
azlee56

I couldn't with mine. That usb port has to be for something though.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #16
Egnilk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
I thought the Jensen USB port was for MP3s and not an iPod dock. That’s why I use the AUX jack instead. Plain audio and I select the music from my iPhone.
This guy's right. USB is for movies (of very few file types) and MP3s. Use the Aux jack.

The wires usually have green ends on them (if they came with computer monitors, anyway).
Old 06-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #17
chris199

I just use a cable and aux port to play ipod music....works fine sounds good. Set up playlists and let er rip. Love it. Don't really need any more functionality. Can get get $20 cable at no so Best Buy or $10-$15 cable at walmart or radio shack.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #18
chris199

One major advantage of the Jensen cable is it will charge the ipod. Aux cable does not charge.....only makes the stereo behave as headphones/speakers.

Jensen cable also gives more info and ontrol on head.

I charge my ipod in clock radio next to my bed. I listen to it thru the clock radio at night and it charges at same time. Works for me so far. In my 199 ML the 12 volt charger was near the stereo. In the 29REV the 12 vollt charger is in bedroom ceiling...stereo in back of trailer.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:50 AM   #19
Egnilk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlee56 View Post
I couldn't with mine. That usb port has to be for something though.
The manuals are here:

http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen...eo-output.html

Also....it looks like I was wrong...the Jensen's ARE compatible with iPod cables.

http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen...ace-cable.html
Old 06-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #20
parkgirl

my jensen not ipod compatible?

This has been very helpful information everyone, but I'm still an idiot. First of all, I have been wondering what all this talk of USB ports is about and now I see from the last post, clicking on the manual link there for an expensive jensen, that we have a very cheap version of the jensen in our brand new 2013 Keystone Hideout. Doesn't even have a USB port on it. We were told it's mp3 compatible but not ipod compatible. Now I see that the way they mean mp3 compatible is that we can play mp3 discs but that's it. Not even a USB port to plug in an mp3.

So now my question is: are people using the aux jacks (with a red and white RCA connection) with an ipod that works even though the jensen is not ipod capable?
Thanks