Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
Prairie Sky

Silicone on slide roof?

Hello! My first post on this forum...which by the way is extremely helpful.

I own a 2010 Laredo 291TG. Bought it new. I was checking the caulking on the slide roof, outer edge yesterday and noticed that there was some lifting on the edge of the caulking laying on the EPDM roof surface. After poking and pulling at it I came to the conclusion that it was silicone and not dicor. I thought that silicone shouldn't be used on EPDM material.

I called Keystone customer service and they confirmed that yes it is silicone on the slide roof. I did ask why they hadn't used dicor there just like on the trailer roof but didn't get an answer...well what I was told is it is a different roof.(??)

How much of the silicone do I have to remove where it is starting to lift? 100% of it off or some bits left? I don't want to tear the roof by being to aggresive at getting every bit of silicone off. Should I take all the silicone the length of the slide off or just the area in question and apply new silicone over top of the old silicone at the edges?

Appreciate any feedback!!
Prairie Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
Bob Landry

I think you got some bad info fron Keystone. Silicone will not bond with any existing sealant. All of the old will have to be removed to get a goos seal with it. I bet if you go up and look at it closely, you are going to see that it's dicor. I don't have a lot of faith in dealers repair shops, but they do a lot of this type of repairs, and I would use what they recommend. Find one and ask.

If it's a hard material like fiberglass, it may be silicon, but I doubt there would be silicone on a rubber roof.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
therink

They may have used a eyrethane sealant such as Pro-Flex, which is a non leveling white sealant. If they told you they used silicone, they didn't know what they were talking about. Like said above, it doesn't adhere well to most rv surfaces. It looks like what was used on my slide roofs. Pro-flex is good stuff. I use Dicor self leveling on my roof and Pro -flex on all other surfaces.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Prairie Sky

Thanks for the info. I did call the dealership I purchased the Laredo from the tech was really surprised that there would be silicone on the slide roof. He did say that he has seen lower end Keystones with silicone on them for what that's worth.

I am not familiar with Proflex. Does it have elastic properties? The stuff on the roof looks like silicone and is a white opaque colour and stretches.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
therink

Pro-flex cures to a bright white color, flexible yet firm. I'm not saying that is what they used on yours, but appears on mine to be a eurathane similar to Pro-flex.
If you decide to try Pro-flex, it sets up real fast so you have to apply one section or a few feet at a time and then smooth bead with dish soap on finger. The The stuff holds up well for me and I consider myself to be a caulk Nazi.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Prairie Sky

Thanks for that Steve.

I guess I have to get as much of that caulking off the joint as I can, correct? Using Proflex is probably better since you don't want it spreading out like Dicor self-leveling would...might cause issues with the black wiper and the slide seal if it was spread out. Am I correct in thinking the Proflex will stick to the EPDM? Nothing like getting the facts from the caulking nazi!
Kathy
Old 04-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
therink

It will stick to the edpm. I've used it around my gutters on the roof. It has held up well.