Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
EcoboostKev

Equal-i-zer Setup

I was not happy with the way the dealer setup my hitch for me. The nose of the trailer was high and not level or slightly nose down like it should be. The front end of my truck was up to high making the ride home not very enjoyable.After getting some great advice from experienced people and playing with the setup on the new Equal-i-zer i finally got it setup perfect. Front of trailer is slightly nose down and the front suspension on my truck is back to normal height after being hitched up! Took her for a 50 mile ride yesterday and i am very pleased!! Now I'm just wondering if i have to much tension on my bars?? Please take a look at my pics and let me know what you think?? Thanks, Kevin

I
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
f6bits

That looks fantastic! What’s the height difference on the trailer frame from front to rear? What’s the height difference on your front wheelwell between Equalized and unhitched?

Is that the Equalizer 1000/10,000?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
EcoboostKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
That looks fantastic! What’s the height difference on the trailer frame from front to rear? What’s the height difference on your front wheelwell between Equalized and unhitched?

Is that the Equalizer 1000/10,000?
Yes it is the 1000/10,000 hitch, I did not measure the trailer frame front and back because I was told if you cant get it perfectly level than slightly nose down is what you want . My front wheel wells were over 1/2" higher hitched to the trailer before I made my adjustments now the measurments are exactly the same wether I am hitched up or not.. It made all the difference in the world when towing! I'm just hoping that the bars are being over stressed? I havent seen another setup yet so I dont know and after making my adjustments the bars are bending much more than before.

Kevin
Old 04-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
f6bits

The trailer frame should be level, which is why you should measure both ends from the ground. I found that mine was nose down by a couple of inches so I had to raise my hitch one hole.

As long as the front wheel well is not any lower than before, then that’s a good setup. A hair above seems to be what’s recommended. The Equalizer manual suggests the halfway point while other manufacturers and the old rule of thumb was to restore front end height.

Your setup doesn’t look to be overstressed. How many washers do you have in the hitch head?

Out of curiosity, and you know I want your truck, how does $36k sound for a 2011 with 10k miles? It’s this one:
http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webvie...FW1ET1BFB44268

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 04-17-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
EcoboostKev

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
The trailer frame should be level, which is why you should measure both ends from the ground. I found that mine was nose down by a couple of inches so I had to raise my hitch one hole.

As long as the front wheel well is not any lower than before, then that’s a good setup. A hair above seems to be what’s recommended. The Equalizer manual suggests the halfway point while other manufacturers and the old rule of thumb was to restore front end height.

Your setup doesn’t look to be overstressed. How many washers do you have in the hitch head?
I
Out of curiosity, and you know I want your truck, how does $36k sound for a 2011 with 10k miles? It’s this one:
http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webvie...FW1ET1BFB44268
I have 5 washers in the head. I was also told that having the nose slightly down on longer trailers helps with clearing speed bumps and other obstacles with the tail end.. I could not open the link for that truck forsale? For a well equipped Screwcab with ecoboost that is not a bad price. My truck is 8 months old and I paid $42,000 which was $4,800 under sticker. You will be amazed at how well these engines tow!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
bartletts

I'm pretty sure the bars are supposed to be bent, that's how you know they are doing their job.
bartletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
michol02

I had the Equalizer 1000/10000, but after all the stuff I put in it, I exceeded the 1000lbs(1220 at the scale), so I upgraded to the 1400/14000. Bars aren't bent at all, and I feel safer. My dry hitch weight from the factory was 650. I had no idea I put that much stuff in it. Even thinned out and shifted some stuff to the back while traveling. Made the tongue a little lighter, but I still feel safer with the bigger Equalizer.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
EcoboostKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by michol02 View Post
I had the Equalizer 1000/10000, but after all the stuff I put in it, I exceeded the 1000lbs(1220 at the scale), so I upgraded to the 1400/14000. Bars aren't bent at all, and I feel safer. My dry hitch weight from the factory was 650. I had no idea I put that much stuff in it. Even thinned out and shifted some stuff to the back while traveling. Made the tongue a little lighter, but I still feel safer with the bigger Equalizer.
I am hoping to get to a certified Cat scale this weekend at the local truck stop after i load everything in it we will be taking on a trip. I am curious what the #'s will be.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
f6bits

With five washers, that’s *really* good. I believe that the manual states that longer wheelbase vehicles should start with six, but it looks like you have it totally dialed in with five.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 04-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
springfield5

I feel your pain about the dealer setting up the Equal-i-zer improperly! This spring we purchased a 31sqb. I had already planned on installing the hitch myself but when the dealer offered ( I had my three kids bugging me ) I took them up....what a mistake. After I looked at the install before we left the dealership, I noticed one of the L brackets for the spring bars was set one notch higher than the other...which they changed at my request. Also the brackets were set at the minimum back spacing from the ball center so I later moved them back. Finally after I got home I found out that they only had enough tension on the bars to raise the rear end 1/4" and drop the front even less. Talk about not liking a passing semi. I have now adjusted it properly but have yet to tow with it. I hope my results are as good as yours...but I know I did not have much to loose from the way the dealership set it up.

Oh yeah... I also found one of the pins missing that retains the spring bar in the hitch head...it was still in the box. The technician never installed it!

Sorry for the rant I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone with concerns of a dealerships inability to setup a hitch properly.
springfield5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #11
f6bits

I spent some time today setting up my WD. I didn’t remember the details of Kev’s setup, but mine came out pretty close. My L brackets are in the same position and I’m using 6 washers. My hitch shank is higher, with two open holes at the bottom. My trailer is a little nose-down. Next time I take it out, I’ll see if things settle in a bit and need further adjustment. This should now feel better than my drive back with the new truck where the rear of the trailer was more than two inches higher than the front. And my drive back already felt pretty good.

2011 Passport 2590BH