Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2022, 01:58 PM   #1
Courser Farm

F150 Lightning

Hi. Anybody looking at the new F150 Lightning?
Former Horse Campers Ready for New Experiences!
Courser Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:05 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courser Farm View Post
Hi. Anybody looking at the new F150 Lightning?
I was all set to buy one when I saw they had a max payload of 2K lbs and could go a max 320 miles per charge. Oddly, Ford doesn't mention that if you are towing that 10K lb trailer (that is max tow weight) how many miles the Lightning could drag that trailer. I was just about to place my order and noticed:

Due to high demand, the current model year is no longer available for retail order. Contact your dealer for more information.

The new Sierra RST EV can go 400 miles on a charge... It will be available in 2024 so I guess I had best clear it with the missus before I start saving up for one.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:11 PM   #3
RollaMo

Unless you already have your reservation in, you likely are not going to get one anytime soon.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-...203004899.html

Ford announced they have over 200,000 reservations now, and have stopped taking new orders.
They are sold out for the next two years it looks like.

I don't think I would ever be interested in one for towing an RV.
But the technology keeps moving forward, so they may be the answer one day.
Old 04-27-2022, 03:24 PM   #4
Courser Farm

Yeah my fav ford guy just told me 2 yrs min. Oh well. Also only 5.5 ft bed. TT only. Fun to dream for a few min!
Former Horse Campers Ready for New Experiences!
Courser Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 04:26 PM   #5
travelin texans

I have one question, WHY?
Until I'm forced while kicking & screaming I have absolutely no desire to own an electric vehicle of any brand! UNTIL they build one that charges in about the same about of time as it takes to fuel up my current ICE vehicle & will go as as far as I feel like traveling in a day on that single charge.
If we lived in a metro area commuting 20-40 miles to work daily I'd say that's the cats meow, but we don't & won't so no EV in my driveway.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 04:59 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Until I'm forced while kicking & screaming I have absolutely no desire to own an electric vehicle of any brand! UNTIL they build one that charges in about the same about of time as it takes to fuel up my current ICE vehicle & will go as as far as I feel like traveling in a day on that single charge.
If we lived in a metro area commuting 20-40 miles to work daily I'd say that's the cats meow, but we don't & won't so no EV in my driveway.

^^^^^Amen.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 05:47 PM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Why, well maybe the are urban dwellers, with a short commute and have an ICE for distance travel.
Electric Vehicles have awesome performance and acceleration, just takes a while to fill the tank currently.

The FLT tested the Rivian electric truck, preformed great, just had the same issue as an ICE vehicle when towing, fuel mileage! The Rivian can’t just pull into a station and be full in five minutes.
I don’t see an EV tow vehicle in my future, or really any others for any distance.
While EV’s have a place in the urban environment, I don’t think they have battery recycling issues resolved yet, and there is actually more carbon used to create an EV then an ICE vehicle.
While the don’t create pollution while in use, there is the post use pollution.
Lastly there is the issue as to how the electricity is created to power them.

So as to the WHY, it is a good fit for some people, some people want them because there cool, I would want for the practical use, shorter commute, but that is just me.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 07:03 PM   #8
sahively

I really want to hear some real world results about range. I can't imagine this thing towing my 8000lb trailer more than 150 miles but I do hope I'm wrong.
sahively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 07:38 PM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahively View Post
I really want to hear some real world results about range. I can't imagine this thing towing my 8000lb trailer more than 150 miles but I do hope I'm wrong.
A 8000lb rv traveling the Salt River canyon, highway 60, east of Phoenix in summer with the AC running max cool, might (repeat might) make it to the top before charging, but no where at the top to charge.
At least with electric trucks you'd have plenty of room to haul a good fossil fueled generator along, just need to find a good route out of the way for the cord plugged in while traveling.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 07:39 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

The Chevy Silverado RST has a fold down rear so the 3' bed can be extended into the back seat. It has 4 wheel steering; the commercials show Lebron putting the truck into crab walk mode. And they claim 400 miles between charges. What's not to love. $100K? Sign me up.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/pictur...ut-ces-2022/7/

OK, I am not impressed with 0-60mph times especially with a vehicle that is supposed to be a truck. One burn out and 2 hours on the charger?
Old 04-27-2022, 07:43 PM   #11
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahively View Post
Based off this article, I’m thinking the answer right now is no. And just think, they live in FL so fairly flat. I couldn’t imagine them surviving for even the 100 miles their batteries can last now, if trying to drive in the mountains. To me, there are some things just better not tried. And an EV with its very questionable benefits versus a gas/ diesel vehicle is one of those.

https://togorv.com/rv-living/towing-...ctric-vehicle/

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 05:13 AM   #12
Balvar24

I think electric would be nice, IF you were just running back and forth to work and charging overnight. Otherwise, the range kind of stinks. But why do I need a pick-up for back and forth to town?

I would have to assume, all things being equal, range reduction due to towing would be similar to range reduction with gas, but I could be wrong. 160 miles just isn't far enough for me in a days drive.

Maybe if I was running to the lake with a boat or mowing yards and pulling lawn mowers?
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:27 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

You guys are unnecessarily concerned about range. Just order a new EV Jeep. I've seen several commercials lately where they show a Jeep plugged into a pretty charger ringed in blue lighting with the word "Jeep" inside. A cable runs from this charger to the side of the vehichle and no road or path is visible. Where is this location? Well one looks to be on the rim of a canyon in the desert somewhere and the other I've seen appears to me on some remote mountian top. You have to watch closely as the image is near the end of the commercials and appears for less than a full second.

Subliminal message? I don't know but then again again I didn't know Jeep was committed to the EV and off road market that they installed charging stations in such remote areas! So nice of them isn't it ?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:25 AM   #14
NH_Bulldog

I wonder how far you could extend your range with a 7.5k generator running in the bed of the truck plus a solar panel on the roof charging as you roll down the road
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 08:39 AM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I wonder how far you could extend your range with a 7.5k generator running in the bed of the truck plus a solar panel on the roof charging as you roll down the road
Hopefully a gas generator and then you would turn your EV into a hybrid; kind of de-evolution?
Old 04-28-2022, 11:43 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

To my thinking all the EV talk is just that, talk. No real "near term" obtainable goal. Lots of promises, lots of "give us your money" and we'll deliver a vehichle "sometime" soon which you likely won't be able to easily recharge where you desire to travel. To me it's like the on-going plans to put a person on Mars. NASA has been talking about it every since they landed on the moon 50 years ago. They've been talking like it's imenent for the past 50 years. Will it happen? I have no doubt, it's just a question of when.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:55 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

"EV" talk is purely that and aimed solely at a specific group of ideological folks that don't want reality to impose. What an EV might do for Mo and Jo in a metropolitan area going 2 blocks to do everything they need to do might be convenient....IF you completely ignore all the other negatives that detract from the supposed "green" benefit one might receive, if any.

The other, bigger, oversight IMO is the fact that they constantly harp on benefits that have absolutely no, NO benefit for folks that live in the middle of nowhere and actually do something with their vehicles....you don't exist and the plan doesn't include you. The technology, processes, infrastructure and most everything else is just not here for this to be considered "prime time". And no, I won't sit in an electric powered cube the size of a case of toilet paper to go anywhere....I'd rather ride a horse.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:00 PM   #18
Dilly541

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
You guys are unnecessarily concerned about range. Just order a new EV Jeep. I've seen several commercials lately where they show a Jeep plugged into a pretty charger ringed in blue lighting with the word "Jeep" inside. A cable runs from this charger to the side of the vehichle and no road or path is visible. Where is this location?
Maybe it is plugged into a current bush....

get it?

Old 04-28-2022, 12:12 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilly541 View Post
Maybe it is plugged into a current bush....

get it?

That's a "currant bush".....

I've got one in our yard, a few "red currants" every year (what the birds don't eat) but I've never touched it and got a shock, so.....

This photo is not mine, but one I found online. My "puney little bush" has never (in 10 years) had more than a handful of berries and the birds get nearly all of them. We haven't harvested enough to even have on a bowl of cereal, so no expectations that this year will be any different... As for "plugging into that bush, maybe to recharge a hearing aid battery.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RED CURRANT BUSH.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	516.1 KB
ID:	39481  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:38 PM   #20
Tom-67X

Quote:

^^^^^Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
"EV" talk is purely that and aimed solely at a specific group of ideological folks that don't want reality to impose. What an EV might do for Mo and Jo in a metropolitan area going 2 blocks to do everything they need to do might be convenient....IF you completely ignore all the other negatives that detract from the supposed "green" benefit one might receive, if any.

The other, bigger, oversight IMO is the fact that they constantly harp on benefits that have absolutely no, NO benefit for folks that live in the middle of nowhere and actually do something with their vehicles....you don't exist and the plan doesn't include you. The technology, processes, infrastructure and most everything else is just not here for this to be considered "prime time". And no, I won't sit in an electric powered cube the size of a case of toilet paper to go anywhere....I'd rather ride a horse.
Simply gonna Amen the Amen, then add a fresh Amen.
Tom-67X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150, light