Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2022, 06:44 AM   #21
RVGator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasayten View Post
System minus is the collection of ALL your minus/ground side wiring... Any "black" (minus) wiring that was on your batteries must be switched to this side.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/faq-all-about-bmvs/
Makes sense. So battery negative to shunt and anything that was on the battery negative to the system part of the shunt.

Thanks.
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 08:48 AM   #22
TNordine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Np2650 View Post
Following this conversation. We just purchased a Cougar 23MLS with the 400i package and I just upgraded to 2 Battleborn 100 Ah batteries. Our rig is also equipped with an inverter/charger which comes as part of the 400i package, which should also charge the batteries when on house power. Is your inverter turned on?

Honestly, I've called Keystone a couple of times asking about how the solar, converter, and inverter are all wired, and how they work together, but can't seem to get to anyone who really knows this system.
We have a new 24RDS and put two Battleborn lithium batteries in. The charge controller installed by Keystone is not compatible with the lithium and will not charge them completely. (Per battleborn) we replaced the charge controller with one that Battleborn recommended
TNordine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:42 AM   #23
Np2650

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNordine View Post
We have a new 24RDS and put two Battleborn lithium batteries in. The charge controller installed by Keystone is not compatible with the lithium and will not charge them completely. (Per battleborn) we replaced the charge controller with one that Battleborn recommended
That's interesting since Dragonfly supplies the OEM batteries to Keystone as part of the 400i and up systems. Dragonfly and Battleborn are the same company. I do know that you have to change the charge settles on the solar charge controller to correctly charge lithium batteries. You are talking about the solar charge controller, right? I'll have to call Battleborn and check that out.
Np2650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:24 PM   #24
TNordine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Np2650 View Post
That's interesting since Dragonfly supplies the OEM batteries to Keystone as part of the 400i and up systems. Dragonfly and Battleborn are the same company. I do know that you have to change the charge settles on the solar charge controller to correctly charge lithium batteries. You are talking about the solar charge controller, right? I'll have to call Battleborn and check that out.
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. The solar controller was lithium compatible but the shore power charger/converter wasn't
Old 04-24-2022, 12:25 PM   #25
madweazl

Quote:
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. The solar controller was lithium compatible but the shore power charger/converter wasn't
What year is your trailer?
Old 04-24-2022, 01:07 PM   #26
Np2650

Quote:
I sort of figured that may be the case. What converter did Battleborn recommend?
Np2650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 02:01 PM   #27
TNordine

Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
What year is your trailer?
Our 24RDS is a 2021
Old 04-24-2022, 03:08 PM   #28
madweazl

Quote:
Our 24RDS is a 2021
Are you sure the charger doesn't have a switch to change charge modes?
Old 04-24-2022, 04:14 PM   #29
TNordine

Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
Are you sure the charger doesn't have a switch to change charge modes?
I am positive the charger in my trailer from Keystone did not have a switch. Here is the reply from Battleborn

"We have tested the WFCO 9855 converter. This is a dedicated lead acid charger and will output 13.6 volts. This voltage will charge our batteries up to 75% but no further. The charger itself won't hurt the batteries, but not getting them up to a full charge over time can result in the batteries losing capacity and possibly falling out of balance.

We suggest replacement with the PD9160 that we sell. You can find it on our website at the following link: https://battlebornbatteries.com/product/progressive-dynamics-12v-60-amp-lifepo4-battery-charger/
Old 04-27-2022, 05:07 AM   #30
wrvond

Something that may not be obvious is that the WF-9855 converter is part of a series. For example, my 2022 model 24RDS has a WF-9855-AD converter/charger. The 'AD' stands for Auto Detect. As can be seen on the label, the unit automagically detects lead acid/AGM or lithium batteries and charges accordingly. So you'll want to physically check your converter before spending money unnecessarily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WF-9855-AD.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	39467  

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:22 AM   #31
pasayten

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Something that may not be obvious is that the WF-9855 converter is part of a series. For example, my 2022 model 24RDS has a WF-9855-AD converter/charger. The 'AD' stands for Auto Detect. As can be seen on the label, the unit automagically detects lead acid/AGM or lithium batteries and charges accordingly. So you'll want to physically check your converter before spending money unnecessarily.
That was for 2022... Our 2021 Cougar 26RBS came with the WF-9855... no suffix. I replaced it with the WF-9855LiS that has the lithium jumper option/switch... Direct fit and no hassels on rewiring... :-)

2022 GMC 2500HD Sierra Denali Crew Cab Gas
2021 Cougar R26RBS
pasayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:07 AM   #32
madweazl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasayten View Post
That was for 2022... Our 2021 Cougar 26RBS came with the WF-9855... no suffix. I replaced it with the WF-9855LiS that has the lithium jumper option/switch... Direct fit and no hassels on rewiring... :-)
Be interesting to see what is in our '22 given its behavior.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:48 AM   #33
RVGator

Here is something else that I think is relevant to this conversation. In doing some electrical work on my rig I wanted to disconnect all power, so unplugged from the pedestal, turned the inverter off, switched the battery disconnect off and disconnected the batteries just to be safe. When I went back inside the camper the lights were still on. I was stunned. How can any power be getting to the lights if I have everything off. Went back up front and the only thing I could think of was that the solar was delivering power to it. So I unplugged one of the wires that says “batt” from the Victron MPPT charge controller and sure enough the lights went out. I thought the solar just supplied energy to charge the batteries, but apparently they are providing “power” elsewhere. Tracing the cables it goes to this(photo attached) BUS of some sort where things feed into.

Any thoughts?

There is usually a cover over whatever that Bus is but I removed it for the photo. The other photo is a description of what is plugged into it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB25A02C-2B1A-40DB-AB44-53AD5EA5FBEA.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	39472   Click image for larger version

Name:	DD95E1B0-BD79-4041-8DEC-A46942D9E09D.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	39473  
20k Reese Goosebox
Old 04-27-2022, 10:58 AM   #34
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGator View Post
Here is something else that I think is relevant to this conversation. In doing some electrical work on my rig I wanted to disconnect all power, so unplugged from the pedestal, turned the inverter off, switched the battery disconnect off and disconnected the batteries just to be safe. When I went back inside the camper the lights were still on. I was stunned. How can any power be getting to the lights if I have everything off. Went back up front and the only thing I could think of was that the solar was delivering power to it. So I unplugged one of the wires that says “batt” from the Victron MPPT charge controller and sure enough the lights went out. I thought the solar just supplied energy to charge the batteries, but apparently they are providing “power” elsewhere. Tracing the cables it goes to this(photo attached) BUS of some sort where things feed into.

Any thoughts?

There is usually a cover over whatever that Bus is but I removed it for the photo. The other photo is a description of what is plugged into it.
It's called a Brock box.
Yes, the solar panel alone will provide enough power to run all the lights. That's how the dealership fooled me into believing they had installed a battery when they actually had not and sent me down the road without a breakaway battery.

edit: point of interest - on travel trailers it's called a Giggy Box

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 11:42 AM   #35
madweazl

Quote:

Any thoughts?

There is a second on/off switch close to our inverter that I assumes kills the rest of the power.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:58 AM   #36
RVGator

Are you sure that “2nd” on off switch isn’t just the red knob to take the cover off of what I now know, thank you WRVOND, is called the Brock Box? I at first thought it was a 2nd disconnect switch as well but it was just what holds the cover in place.
20k Reese Goosebox
Old 04-27-2022, 12:04 PM   #37
madweazl

Quote:
Are you sure that “2nd” on off switch isn’t just the red knob to take the cover off of what I now know, thank you WRVOND, is called the Brock Box? I at first thought it was a 2nd disconnect switch as well but it was just what holds the cover in place.
In our trailer, it would be mounted on the opposite side of the wall from the one you're talking about. This one is inside the basement and mounted just to the left of the inverter (I'm sure all the trailers are slightly different). I'll have the trailer back tomorrow so I'll be able to double check it's function.
Old 04-27-2022, 03:00 PM   #38
pasayten

Quote:
Our 2021 Cougar 26RBS has a giggy box/disconnect box outside at the battery tray. It also has a second box in the passthru by the inverter. Both boxes have the 3 position switch... On, Off, and Remove Cover.

2022 GMC 2500HD Sierra Denali Crew Cab Gas
2021 Cougar R26RBS
pasayten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar