Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
WELLSweR

GFI reset....

Just picked up new 2012 Montana 3150RL and have a few questions. Was told the countertops are Corian but mine does not have the little rubber medallion? Also anyone have trouble with breakers or GFI popping.. Had the tv, and electric heater on tried to use vacuum and lost power...Reset GFI tried different outlet for heater same thing... I am wondering if I will be able to use hair dryer and curling iron at the same time? Is there any outlet where a heater could be plugged in that is better than another? Thanks
WELLSweR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Hunter757

Wellswer, I have heard that the coutertops don't have the medallion. As far as the GFI when it trips then walk around and find an outlet that still has power.
I use the vaccume and the tv is on but no heater so you might just need to unplug the heater when using the vaccume, have you tried that yet to see if it still trips the GFI? You might just be drawing to many amps on that circuit.

2008 F350 4x4 LB CC 6.4 twin turbo PSD
Prodigy P2 brake controler
Hijacker 16K Double pivot ultra
2007 Montana Mountaineer 307RK
New to us on 8/12/2011:
Hunter757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
mhs4771

A typical electric heater will draw 10 to 12 amps, Vacuum depending on size and make can be anywhere from 5 to 12 amps. So yet most likely will trip a breaker if on the same circuit. As for the GFI, not sure. They can be troublesome little devils at times.
PS: It would be helpfull if you posted model number as you might get an answer from someone with the same exact model.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
MILBY

Amp draw has nothing to do with a tripped GFI. The monitor voltage to ground so either you have a bad GFI (which does happen) or something you have plugged in is not likeing the GFI
Old 02-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WELLSweR View Post
Just picked up new 2012 Montana 3150RL and have a few questions. Was told the countertops are Corian but mine does not have the little rubber medallion? Also anyone have trouble with breakers or GFI popping.. Had the tv, and electric heater on tried to use vacuum and lost power...Reset GFI tried different outlet for heater same thing... I am wondering if I will be able to use hair dryer and curling iron at the same time? Is there any outlet where a heater could be plugged in that is better than another? Thanks
Are you tripping the GFIC outlet or the circuit breaker marked GFIC. As mentioned above, if you are trying to operate everything you mention on the same 15amp breaker it should be tripping. Entertainment center (TV) is not usually on that circuit.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
f6bits

This may not be related, but if I ever see weird behavior with my outlets, I run around with my outlet tester just to make myself feel better:

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
This may not be related, but if I ever see weird behavior with my outlets, I run around with my outlet tester just to make myself feel better:
They also make them that will test GFIC with the push of a button.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
They also make them that will test GFIC with the push of a button.
For those that may not be familiar with these handy little gadgets, the one for GFCI is red and has a black push button on the side for testing the ground fault. Looks the same otherwise.

I think both should be considered essential items for the tool box.

I always use mine to check a campgrounds wiring before plugging in.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
gbsb

When I run a space heater and the coffee pot at the same time it will trip a breaker and yes the tv goes off. Seems like all my receptacles are on one 15 amp breaker marked receps. I have a 2010 Fuzion TE11. Can't run heater in living room and one in bedroom at same time. George
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #10
WELLSweR

Tried the vacuum again today only thing on was TV. Started vacuuming for a couple minutes and vacuum was revving up like a car and then kicked the GFI again, and lost power, no breakers are tripping. TV and microwave/convection turns off, tv starts up again without GFCI reset. Not sure about microwave if it turns on right away or after reset. Will be taking in for a few minor repairs and will have the techs check it out.... thanks for all help...
WELLSweR is offline   Reply With Quote