Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2022, 01:43 PM   #1
Hemi1

Dehumidifier recommendation wanted

I have a Keystone Passport Ultra-Lite 2520RL. Can someone give me a dehumdifier recommendation please?
Hemi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 02:35 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! Lots of great folks and tons of knowledge here.

As far as dehumidifiers, IMO don't get anything other than the compressor driven dehumidifiers. The small dessicant models are cheap and light and....useless.

I've ran the compressor dehumidifiers for years. You don't say where you intend to use it but you show Tallahassee as your location. I stay S of you in Panacea. Originally I started with a 35 pint HiSense I bought at SE Lowe's in Tallahassee. I was in a Cougar High Country 319RLS and although it worked WAY good it was a bit too large and generated a lot of heat. For this trailer I got an Ivation 11 pint unit from Amazon. Works just fine. It does run more (very quiet) and you have to empty it more often (currently about once a day ) but the size difference and reduction in heat was worth it. I would highly recommend either but I suspect the smaller one would fill your needs just fine.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 03:58 PM   #3
Roper46

I'm in south Georgia and I just use the buckets of Damp Rid. Used them in my previous TT and now in my 5er. They work great.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 04:31 PM   #4
jasin1

I have a small 20 pint ( I believe) Haier dehumidifier ..it works great and has a tank that you empty.
You could probably maybe run it to your shower drain IF the gray tank valve was open but I wouldn’t leave it running unattended if you were gonna be away for a couple of days or more…too much could be damaged if things overflowed or didn’t drain properly.

It’s a relatively small amount of water but if your gray tank is already close to full then it wouldn’t take much to overflow

I could be wrong but it’s what I’m thinking
Old 03-23-2022, 05:04 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

The compressor models I've used all have the option of draining into a sink, drain etc. When mine runs I'm always there so I would not use the drain as I could empty the tank. For others it may be an option, and if left unattended must be left with a drain that is opened. I've used DampRid and it's not even as good as the dessicant models of dehumidifiers IMO. Just a note about Damp Rid:

Ingredients
DampRid Moisture Absorbers, commonly referred to as DampRid, are inorganic salt products designed to remove moisture from the air. According to the Material Data Safety Sheet provided by the W.M. Barr Company, DampRid is comprised of predominantly calcium chloride with trace amounts of sodium chloride and potassium chloride.

Absorption
The calcium chloride crystals in DampRid absorb moisture and aid in dehumidifying the area. Consumer Reports indicates that while the product does reduce moisture in the air, it is a slower process than with electric dehumidifiers. The calcium chloride can absorb up to several times its own weight in water. It will liquefy as it absorbs and is not reusable.

Exposure
The calcium chloride in DampRid is considered a hazardous material by OSHA. Use care when handling this product. Exposure may result in nausea or irritation. Avoid direct skin contact with the product. If you experience skin contact, wash the area with soap and water. If irritation persists, seek medical attention. Do not ingest or inhale the product. If you inhale DampRid, move to an area with fresh air and seek medical attention if you feel ill. If you ingest the product, seek immediate medical attention. If the DampRid touches your eyes, flush them with clear water and seek medical help.

Quite a bit of difference between that stuff and a real dehumidifier.
Old 03-23-2022, 06:21 PM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The compressor models I've used all have the option of draining into a sink, drain etc. When mine runs I'm always there so I would not use the drain as I could empty the tank. For others it may be an option, and if left unattended must be left with a drain that is opened. I've used DampRid and it's not even as good as the dessicant models of dehumidifiers IMO. Just a note about Damp Rid:

Ingredients
DampRid Moisture Absorbers, commonly referred to as DampRid, are inorganic salt products designed to remove moisture from the air. According to the Material Data Safety Sheet provided by the W.M. Barr Company, DampRid is comprised of predominantly calcium chloride with trace amounts of sodium chloride and potassium chloride.

Absorption
The calcium chloride crystals in DampRid absorb moisture and aid in dehumidifying the area. Consumer Reports indicates that while the product does reduce moisture in the air, it is a slower process than with electric dehumidifiers. The calcium chloride can absorb up to several times its own weight in water. It will liquefy as it absorbs and is not reusable.

Exposure
The calcium chloride in DampRid is considered a hazardous material by OSHA. Use care when handling this product. Exposure may result in nausea or irritation. Avoid direct skin contact with the product. If you experience skin contact, wash the area with soap and water. If irritation persists, seek medical attention. Do not ingest or inhale the product. If you inhale DampRid, move to an area with fresh air and seek medical attention if you feel ill. If you ingest the product, seek immediate medical attention. If the DampRid touches your eyes, flush them with clear water and seek medical help.

Quite a bit of difference between that stuff and a real dehumidifier.
What isn’t mentioned in that information is that if the liquid is spilled on a porous surface, it will never be dry again!! It will need to be replaced!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 06:36 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
What isn’t mentioned in that information is that if the liquid is spilled on a porous surface, it will never be dry again!! It will need to be replaced!
Yep, everything from carpet to raw, unpainted OSB or plywood is "ruined" when it comes in contact for anything more than a "split second".....

Plus, if you've got a "half gallon sized Damp-Rid container" the most it can hold is a half gallon of water (minus the space occupied by the salt)...

The average dehumidifier removes somewhere between 30-70 pints of water per day. Thirty pints is 4.5 GALLONS and 70 pints is 10.5 GALLONS of water removed DAILY.... That "paltry 2 quart bucket of salt" doesn't stand a chance of keeping the air dry in a travel trailer, expecially if the roof vents and side windows are open to improve ventilation. Actually, what that does is resupply the water in the air and keep the dehumidifier working overtime or fill that half gallon bucket in 24 hours rather than in 36 hours......

Heck, a 60 pint dehumidifier will fill a 43 gallon gray water tank in less than 5 days. A "half gallon bucket" wouldn't stand a chance of keeping up with that kind of moisture removal..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:15 AM   #8
jxnbbl

For dehumidifiers...I know what they are as use them in the basement in NE but I never thought I'd need one in a trailer for a trip. Is the context of this storage (have to have an elec source), full timing, etc?
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 04:41 AM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi1 View Post
I have a Keystone Passport Ultra-Lite 2520RL. Can someone give me a dehumdifier recommendation please?
Can you give us a little more context on your needs? Is this for storage, or are you Camping and having moisture issues?

If storage a lot of moisture issues can be solved by simply getting MaxAir vent covers and leaving roof vents open.

Full timing the best bet is a powered dehumidifier, of a decent size.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:53 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
For dehumidifiers...I know what they are as use them in the basement in NE but I never thought I'd need one in a trailer for a trip. Is the context of this storage (have to have an elec source), full timing, etc?
If you camp in "cool/cold temperatures" you WILL have condensation on the windows and behind the cushions that butt up against the exterior walls. Showers, cooking, even human/pet breathing puts moisture into the air. That moisture WILL condense on the cooler single pane windows in every trailer.

You can "combat it" by using vent fans when cooking and showering and having "effective cross ventilation" (open windows) when using the trailer. The colder it gets, the less comfortable open windows become. There's a "point where it gets so cold the furnace can't keep up with heating the trailer with open windows"....

So, a "power dehumidifier" is one solution to the condensation problem.... And, yes, condensation becomes a problem when the bottom of your mattress (laying over the cold front passthrough) or the edge of the dinette cushions become so wet that mold/mildew forms. All of us have experienced "foggy mirrors in the bathroom" after a shower. In an RV, the exterior walls are cooler than most mirrors and collect that condensation much faster than the mirror.

If the temperature is cold enough to need a coat, the trailer is very likely going to need some "pro-active measures" to prevent moisture issues.

How to deal with it is up to each individual. Some use the cross ventilation and just endure it being cold sitting on the sofa with the windows open, some plug in a dehumidifier and close the window. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:07 AM   #11
Hemi1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Can you give us a little more context on your needs? Is this for storage, or are you Camping and having moisture issues?

If storage a lot of moisture issues can be solved by simply getting MaxAir vent covers and leaving roof vents open.

Full timing the best bet is a powered dehumidifier, of a decent size.
Good question and thanks for asking. I really want a dehumidifier for when the travel trailer is parked in my yard. The ceiling over the bed has a "bubble" or "sag" in it and I'm not sure if it is a leak or humidity. I'm thinking humidity because the ceiling is not stained. I did find a leak at one of the front exterior marker lights that was dripping water in the front right closet that is not near the "bubble" in the ceiling. I sealed that up with silicone around the base of the marker light and the lens of the marker light. Thank you to everyone that has replied to this thread.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:31 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

If you're wanting this to keep the RV dry while it sits in the yard I would by all means get a unit like I discussed, run an extension cord to the RV using a dogbone adapter and run it while it sits out there. I wouldn't leave the vents open even if you had MaxAir covers because the humidity is just so high that the dehumidifier would have to be emptied constantly. The vents would let moist air in constantly. I've seen several here that have similar problems because folks just "let them be" thinking all is OK - it's not. As you know moss grows on everything around here if it sits for a bit - from half the trailers around me, to roofs, to decks, to walls and everything else.

No matter how you decide to proceed you need to figure out why that ceiling is sagging and get it fixed.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:11 AM   #13
RickV

Quote:
Good question and thanks for asking. I really want a dehumidifier for when the travel trailer is parked in my yard. The ceiling over the bed has a "bubble" or "sag" in it and I'm not sure if it is a leak or humidity. I'm thinking humidity because the ceiling is not stained. I did find a leak at one of the front exterior marker lights that was dripping water in the front right closet that is not near the "bubble" in the ceiling. I sealed that up with silicone around the base of the marker light and the lens of the marker light. Thank you to everyone that has replied to this thread.
We tried the Damp-Rid stuff but it wasn't enough so we bought a regular dehumidifier think it is a 20 pint one and has a garden hose connection so we have it on the kitchen counter and drain it in to the sink with a short hose when the 5ver is sitting in the pole barn. I hook up one of those sewer outlet adapters with a garden hose fitting on it and just leave the valve open.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 05:50 PM   #14
Hemi1

Quote:
If you're wanting this to keep the RV dry while it sits in the yard I would by all means get a unit like I discussed, run an extension cord to the RV using a dogbone adapter and run it while it sits out there. I wouldn't leave the vents open even if you had MaxAir covers because the humidity is just so high that the dehumidifier would have to be emptied constantly. The vents would let moist air in constantly. I've seen several here that have similar problems because folks just "let them be" thinking all is OK - it's not. As you know moss grows on everything around here if it sits for a bit - from half the trailers around me, to roofs, to decks, to walls and everything else.

No matter how you decide to proceed you need to figure out why that ceiling is sagging and get it fixed.
Per your advice, I got a dehumidifier, a 35 pt Hisense at Lowes. The travel trailer is parked next to my shed that has power so it's easy to run an extension cord to a dogbone adapter. I closed the vents and we'll see how it goes. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2022, 06:02 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Per your advice, I got a dehumidifier, a 35 pt Hisense at Lowes. The travel trailer is parked next to my shed that has power so it's easy to run an extension cord to a dogbone adapter. I closed the vents and we'll see how it goes. Thanks!
John I think that dehumidifier will do a super job but...warning; like I said earlier it generates heat. Not lots, not crazy heat but it's a compressor that more or less makes heat like a home compressor (not nearly as much). Whatever you put it on put some sort of heat absorbent material/rug etc. under it. Never proved it but ours ran for a few years in one spot at the end of the island and seemed to me it sort of "softened" the floor. Fixed that with the above remedy. Just a heads up. If you leave it unattended make sure you use the drain and run it into something that won't fill up. Good luck with it, you will be surprised how much water it pulls "out of the air".
Old 03-31-2022, 07:46 AM   #16
Cascadia

Quote:
We live on the Oregon coast and live in our Outback 328rl. Previously we had a Keystone Cougar 5th wheel and had a terrible time with mold. Currently we have 2. I run the Waycar when it's raining. It's in the bedroom. It'll dry wet clothes and towels hanging. We run it on low and it's a workhorse.
Waykar 2000 Sq. Ft Dehumidifier for Home and Basements, with Auto or Manual Drainage, 0.66 Gallon Water Tank Capacity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081RG8JYR/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_QPY388P5114EBN5N3FA3
The other is in the living area and puts off a little heat. Keeps the windows clear and warms it up a little. It's a total workhorse. We bought it in 2017 and it's still running strong.
EcoSeb DD122EA-CLASSIC Desiccant Dehumidifier with Ionizer, 15-Pint, White, 120V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KHJICC2/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_N3QHNNX01XA630P4SD5X
Living in a coastal environment these are much needed to protect our investment. We have zero mold anywhere in our trailer. I highly recommend both of these!
Cascadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 04:37 AM   #17
rodgebone

Do yourself a favor and skip ALL the little portable stuff and get a real dehumidifier - I tried all those little table top units and Eva Dry and desiccants. Then I bought this unit 18 months ago and run it 12 hours a day in general. It may be a little big for you but for my 29' Outback in the Oregon wet weather its been GREAT!!! Collects about 50 pints in 50 hours in high humidity and since I've had it I no longer have condensation to wipe off my baseboards and on most winter days NO condensation on the single pane windows. Very quiet as well. They make smaller versions which may suit you better. Hope that helps!

https://www.amazon.com/hOmeLabs-Dehu.../dp/B073VBWKJZ
Old 04-01-2022, 07:54 AM   #18
RV-burrito

I'm also in Oregon. I have a Waykar .66gal in my Sprinter. I love it so much that I bought 1 for each of my motorhomes. I'm still dumping the bin, but I will set it up with the drainage hose outside before fall.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081RG8JYR
1978 Georgie Boy (Dodge Chassis) currently being remodeled
RV-burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 09:33 AM   #19
Hemi1

Quote:
John I think that dehumidifier will do a super job but...warning; like I said earlier it generates heat. Not lots, not crazy heat but it's a compressor that more or less makes heat like a home compressor (not nearly as much). Whatever you put it on put some sort of heat absorbent material/rug etc. under it. Never proved it but ours ran for a few years in one spot at the end of the island and seemed to me it sort of "softened" the floor. Fixed that with the above remedy. Just a heads up. If you leave it unattended make sure you use the drain and run it into something that won't fill up. Good luck with it, you will be surprised how much water it pulls "out of the air".
I put a rug under it like you said. It's in my backyard and I check it every now and then and empty the water. Not even close to being full, but it's pulling water.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:22 AM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I put a rug under it like you said. It's in my backyard and I check it every now and then and empty the water. Not even close to being full, but it's pulling water.
Did you leave the RV closed up? If so, when the dehumidifier gets the moisture down it doesn't build back up real fast if everything is closed up. It's been 2 years since I ran the HiSense but doesn't it let you set the percentage of moisture you want in the air? I run this one at 40% (lowest it will go) and we stay very comfortable. As you know today has been rainy all day and I've been stuck in the trailer while DW is in Tallahassee visiting DD for a few days. This one has kicked to low and keeping it in the 40%+/- range. Amount of water varies with the weather; yesterday was hot and dry and there was only a bit of water in it last evening. This morning it was full after this front came in.....

Until you get used to it you might just pick it up and check under it after it's been running to make sure it's not getting the floor hot. I had mine on a thick, rubber backed entry rug type of thing I cut out to fit.