Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2022, 06:14 AM   #1
flash

Redoing Roof

Morning all!! Been awhile and hope everyone is hanging in there. Question is we are getting ready to redo the roof on the camper, it has the EPDM membrane and we bought the Dicor Cleaner/Activator and Epdm Acrylic coating. Says to do it all in one day, this will be done here at the house outside, can one do the clean/activtor and one coating of the Acrylic then finnish with the second the next day?? Also, any tips would be greatly appreciated!! Isn't the gas prices just over the top!! Maybe it will be easier to make reservation than it was last year but still will be pretty hard on the pocketbook...... Thanks, Flash.
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:47 AM   #2
rhagfo

I think I would do a good detergent and water scrub of the roof a couple days before using the cleaner activator. That would reduce the time needed for that step greatly. When we did Heng’s it took me about six hours to scrub our 32’ 5er.
Keep in mind surface preparation is the most important step.
When I cleaned/scrubbed ours it was hands and knees with a medium stiff scrub brush and a bucket of warm water and powered tide detergent.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:05 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I can say from experience, if you don’t cover the sides, make sure you wash the entire unit.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:28 AM   #4
flash

57 and rhagfo

Will cover all sides for sure,we only have 20 foot of roof but do you think doing the last coat of the Acrylic he next day after the dew burns off would be ok??
Old 03-15-2022, 08:25 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I like my roof to be completely dry before adding any type of protector/sealant to it. That would probably necessitate waiting until the next day unless in my neck of the woods on a 110 degree day in full sun.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 08:49 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

You've probably already done this, but just in case: Make sure you have an EPDM roof membrane before you start putting the coating on.....

2013 was a "transition year for Laredo" and some of the models had EPDM roofing while other models had TPO roofing.... Through the year, the roofing membrane was slowly "converted to TPO" so some early production models may have had EPDM while later production models of the same floorplan had TPO....

Make sure before you start painting something on the roof that won't soak in and just lays on the surface and starts to crack and peel in 3 or 4 months.....

As I said, you've already checked, but always worth mentioning.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 12:57 PM   #7
flash

Hey JR Yes, made sure it was EPDM. Reason for asking if you can wait till next day for last coat is to make sure all is dry. Cleaning, waiting till dry then first coat and being outside plus 66 years old I want that little bit of more time??? Thanks for checking on me so I didn't mess it up!! Scott
Old 03-15-2022, 02:01 PM   #8
Hblick48

I think the primer/activator is applied just before the actual coating. You can't do primer/activator today and then coat tomorrow.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 02:12 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
I think the primer/activator is applied just before the actual coating. You can't do primer/activator today and then coat tomorrow.

You are correct. My previous reply referenced the Dicor roof treatment I use but it's not the same as what the OP has. Here is a link to the instructions for the product. It gives some very specific instructions, must be completed in one day AND the trailer needs to be protected. Don't know which part of it will open up but just click on the installation tab;

https://dicorproducts.com/product/ep...oating-system/
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof