Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2022, 09:05 AM   #1
cbj

Hand Sanitizer stained Countertop

Does anyone know how to get a white-cloudy stained (bleached?) area off my plastic countertop? A hand sanitizer bottle leaked on it and now there is a large area that is white. When I try to clean it, it seems to go away, but then comes back when it dries. Any help is much appreciated.
cbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 11:53 AM   #2
dutchmensport

Go to an automotive parts store and pick up a spray can of spray Gel Coat. Do a single spot spray and see if the color of the counter top stays. If it does, clean the entire counter and spray it all. It will make it look like new.
Old 03-11-2022, 01:42 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj View Post
Does anyone know how to get a white-cloudy stained (bleached?) area off my plastic countertop? A hand sanitizer bottle leaked on it and now there is a large area that is white. When I try to clean it, it seems to go away, but then comes back when it dries. Any help is much appreciated.
It would be beneficial to you if you shared some information. If you go to the top left of the page and open the "UserCP" you can add a signature with make, model and year of your trailer and tow vehichle. That will facilitate answers with more conrext and less questions.

Most hand sanitizers are alcohol based and do not contain bleach. Alcohol will evaporate, dry out any oils,dissolve any wax and leave a dry dull appea.. I would try washing the countertop well then trying somw polish or wax.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 03:16 PM   #4
cbj

I understand that most hand sanitizers probably wouldn't have done this, and that of course they don't actually contain bleach. I was attempting to indicate that the spots 'look' bleached (white and cloudy).
I have tried cleaning and scrubbing with all the normal products. I was hoping that someone had figured out a real solution to the problem since I figured I'm not the only one something like this has happened to.
The idea of using a gel coat might work, but it is more of a cover up than a fix.
cbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 03:45 PM   #5
dutchmensport

Counter tops are all coated with a protective coating. It doesn't matter if they are stone or plastic. There's a protective coating, something that dries hard and is very durable. What has happened is, the polish has removed that top coat, leaving the true luster of the product under it exposed. Without that top coat creating an artificial illusion of shine and color, there's nothing there except the true dull color of the washed out plastic.

I work with wood crafting, and when working with a piece of wood, it's always dull and plain. Add the Varnish, Polyurethane, or a Glaze Coat and the color of the wood and the wood grain pops. Sand it back down or use a paint remover, and everything goes dull again.

This is what's happened to your counter top. The spilled hand sanatizer, has penetrated the top layer of the coating on the counter top and removed it ... To relate this to a product traditionally a woman would use rather than men ... fingernail polish remover. Same principle.

We'll never know what the chemical reaction was with the sanitizer and the top coat of the counter. But the evidence is there, something did. The top coat needs to be reglazed.
Old 03-11-2022, 03:52 PM   #6
Carrottop

Having worked in the Hotel business for 30 years I will tell you what we do and it works quite well. Put a pillowcase over the affected area and go over it with an iron as many times as needed until the cloudiness disappears. This method works on most finishes. Do not leave the iron on one spot to long and allow for cooling if it does not come up right away.

Good Luck.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:13 PM   #7
travelin texans

Go to the cabinet area of your local home improvement store or a local cabinet/countertop shop & ask those that have most likely done this type of repairs what to do.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 06:19 AM   #8
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Go to an automotive parts store and pick up a spray can of spray Gel Coat. Do a single spot spray and see if the color of the counter top stays. If it does, clean the entire counter and spray it all. It will make it look like new.

By that do you mean clean the whole top with the same thing that stripped away the original top coat? Or just clean real well and then refinish the affected area? OR spray the refinish gel coat on the entire surface?

Just in case it happens to me.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 07:11 AM   #9
dutchmensport

Clean the area real well with (soap and water), to remove all grease, oils. Might even go over it with some alcohol and a cotton swab. This removes all the oils and grease. Then spray the entire counter top with the Gel Coat.

But, before doing that, try a very small test area to on the affected area to make sure it does hold the color, of it fades away. It will be easier to remove the tiny spot of Gel Coat if it doesn't work, than trying to strip it off the entire top.

If that doesn't keep the color (like when it's wet), then the affected area is deeper than just the surface topping and may not be fixable. So try a tiny test area first.

I suggested Gel Coat because it actually penetrates into the pours of the surface it comes into contact with and seals, and dries exceptionally hard.

If that doesn't work, the other option the OP has is to simply re-do the entire counter top. Something like this: Here's some starter links.

We used a kit similar to one of these in our house when we were preparing to sell it. We used a 3 step process kit. After everything was prepped, a base coat of black paint was applied. Then 2 different coats of "color". And a final sealer on top of that. The end result, it looked like a granite countertop, but underneath is was nothing but particle board and plastic.