Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2022, 02:31 PM   #1
Kathyfog

External propane question

We have new 2022 cougar 36BHL. We keep camper at campground. We have external tank for LP. Anyone know how we connect line from external tank into our propane compartment? Thanks in advance for advice to this newbie
Kathyfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 03:32 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I am confused. Are you talking about the external propane connect for things like an outside grill or are you talking about connecting a propane tank into the regulator for the RV??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 03:51 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Danny I think they are wanting to connect the trailer to a bulk (large) LP tank.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 03:54 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum

Danny I think they are wanting to connect the trailer to a bulk (large) LP tank.

Errr, yep, I think that's what the OP is asking. Couldn't get it to sink in first 4 go rounds but think I've got it now....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 04:02 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I’m wondering if an extra long pigtail to the regulator would work. I’m not that familiar with bulk tanks. A few years ago I was going to buy a 100Lb cylinder from Lowes, but decided it would weigh too much to lug around. I suppose a seasonal site camper find find it fits their needs.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 04:02 PM   #6
Kathyfog

Sorry I wasn’t more clear. Yes external tank source to connect to our rig. Anyone know if there is a conduit or if there is an area in the portable LP tank area that has access to ground so we can pull up the connection?
Old 02-27-2022, 04:13 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The bottom of the LP tank storage areas on the trailer "should be" open to the exterior (no bottom on the cabinet spaces)... That's to prevent any accumulation of explosive gas in the event of a propane tank/pigtail leak. So, if what you're asking is "is there an opening in the storage compartment to pull a gas line from the ground, up into the compartment? The answer is yes, the entire bottom of that space is open to below the trailer.

Are you attempting to connect an existing "large propane tank" that was already at the site? Or, is this a new installation on the site? If it's a new installation, the propane company delivering the tank and setting it up will know exactly what to do to connect to your trailer. They will set the new tank, fill it, adjust the tank regulator to the correct "intermediary pressure" and then connect that to your regulator on one side of the regulator input. They will leave the existing pigtail so you can connect your 30 pound tank "in event of an emergency"...

If you're trying to "wing it and hope to get it right without knowing how to connect a bulk tank to your existing automatic changeover regulator on your trailer, then you have some potentially dangerous "tries" ahead of you...

Propane is not "foolproof" and in most states, a bulk tank is required to be connected by a certified plumber or gas company employee. On most installations, there is a "mid pressure regulator" on the bulk tank and that connects to your existing regulator to provide the 11" WC to operate your trailer gas appliances...

If you don't know what you're doing, I'd urge you to let the gas company do the work.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 04:31 PM   #8
Kathyfog

Thank you so much. You gave us the answer we needed
Old 03-05-2022, 08:45 AM   #9
flyingjack

For 5+ yrs we used 100LB tank and just removed driver side LP hose; plugged it to keep dirt out; added a new longer hose and reconnected to 100 lber. Winters in central TX used quite a bit of LP when we worked there. That way always plenty of spare LP when 100 lber was empty. No issues. We also didn't move very often so larger tank weight/size wasn't an issue.
Good luck.
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane