Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2022, 10:14 AM   #1
Opa 1

Sewage hose storage

I made a mistake. I bolted a hitch receiver to my sprinter 30RL bumper and apparently squeezed the bumper enough that the sewage hose end with the tabs will not fit through the squeezed part of the bumper. I ground down the tabs about half way but still seems to get stuck. I have probably the cheapest sewage hose.

I did see a hose storage container sold on Amazon it looks like it bolts to the bumper but not sure it will work because the receiver being bolted to the bumper

I was wondering if there is a hose with smaller fittings or other potential fixes for this storage problem so I look forward to your replies
Opa 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 10:29 AM   #2
Opa 1

Just an update. I went back out got more aggressive with the amount I ground down. I left just enough to still connect the 90 a kept it locked into place. Hose now goes through the bumper so I guess problem solved
Old 02-26-2022, 10:40 AM   #3
Laredo Tugger

An 8 ft. section of vinyl fence post (approx 5 in.x5 in.), one piece of rain gutter and two post caps. Drill drain holes on one side of the post and then mount the post piece (with stainless nuts and bolts) to the underside of the trailer frame behind the rear tires and close as possible to the rear bumper to avoid this assembly from being torn off in the event of a rear tire blowout.
Place a post cap on one end of the post (preferably opposite side as your connections) and use small screws for permanent placement. The rain gutter (also with drain holes) piece inserts into the the post (and may need to be cut) and is used as a tray for your hose and fittings. I used two small springs on each side of the cap and post on the access side. These springs allow me to slide the cap off and slide out the tray without the cap coming off or the cap falling off while traveling. This mod works great, no buckets, bags or totes for the stinky slinky. I am not near my camper or I would send a picture but I know a few others on here who have done this mod and may have photos.
Good luck
RMc
K, saw your second post. That bumper will develop rust and in time will create an abrasive surface that can rub holes into your hoses. Just a thought.
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:10 AM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa 1 View Post
I made a mistake. I bolted a hitch receiver to my sprinter 30RL bumper and apparently squeezed the bumper enough that the sewage hose end with the tabs will not fit through the squeezed part of the bumper. I ground down the tabs about half way but still seems to get stuck. I have probably the cheapest sewage hose.

I did see a hose storage container sold on Amazon it looks like it bolts to the bumper but not sure it will work because the receiver being bolted to the bumper

I was wondering if there is a hose with smaller fittings or other potential fixes for this storage problem so I look forward to your replies
What do you plan on hanging off that bumper mounted receiver??
The fact that you crushed the bumper should tell you that bumper can’t support much!!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:40 AM   #5
Laredo Tugger

Good point Russ.
I mounted a receiver for bike rack onto my bumper but I added these:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Mount-n-Lock/MO34VR.html
And had them welded along with more welded support where the bumper meets the frame.
I guess I was thinking the OP was doing something similar.
You are correct though, those bumpers are nowhere near tow rated.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:51 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Good point Russ.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ck/MO34VR.html
And had them welded along with more welded support where the bumper meets the frame.
RMc
The Mount N Lock brackets along with the extra welds only move the weak spot to another spot on either side of the welds on that flimsy thin bumper. Replacing that bumper for real steel pipe/tubing or adding a frame mounted hitch is the best option if planning on carrying anything attached to it.
Those bumpers are/were designed to carry the weight of the sewer hose, not an ideal spot for it either, & nothing more.
Just beware that anything attached to those flimsy bumpers may end up in the ditch somewhere or worse case the grill of the vehicle behind you!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 12:01 PM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Good point Russ.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ck/MO34VR.html
RMc
Another solution is move the bike rack to the pin box.
Old 02-26-2022, 12:23 PM   #8
Opa 1

Two bicycles is what I intend to hang. You are correct that bumper is not much to it
Old 02-26-2022, 12:30 PM   #9
Opa 1

how would put a bike rack by the pin box?
Old 02-26-2022, 04:03 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Opa1 you are heading toward a bad day. First, grinding down the locking ears on the sewer hose. The amount of plastic on those ears are there for a reason. Grinding them down has weakend them and they will break, it's just a matter of time. One day the hose will be at the tight angle and when you open that valve a heavy load of blackwater will hit that hose and snap the locking tabs off. You will have a mess.

Secondly, storing bikes on a reciever hitch clamped to basically a soda can. They will end up on the road dragging the asphalt or impacting a car behind you.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 04:29 PM   #11
Opa 1

That’s encouraging 😬. Thank you for the heads up

Looks I will need to rethink this whole thing and start over.

Laredo Tugger posted a few ideas I will circle back and look at his ideas see if I can implement. Laredo Tugger mentioned photos on the sewage hose storage he has set up. Anyone that has a photo of this set up I would appreciate. Especially the access cap idea
Old 02-26-2022, 06:44 PM   #12
rhagfo

Quote:
how would put a bike rack by the pin box?
Well I laid out and prepared the receiver to have wielded up. to get the correct angle I leveled the 5er, then used a level to mark the correct angle on the angle iron. I then too the assembly to a local wielder to have it wielded up. The receiver tube I bought at a local RV parts store. the angle iron I got for free at a job site in Detroit, flying home with it was interesting! the angle iron is 1/4" thick 4"X6" and about 12" long.

Old 02-26-2022, 06:53 PM   #13
Opa 1

Vey interesting, That would be secure. One additional question I have the 6.5 bed with out a slider would the bikes interfere with turning or are the bikes short enough to stay off your window?
Old 02-26-2022, 06:59 PM   #14
rhagfo

Quote:
An 8 ft. section of vinyl fence post (approx 5 in.x5 in.), one piece of rain gutter and two post caps. Drill drain holes on one side of the post and then mount the post piece (with stainless nuts and bolts) to the underside of the trailer frame behind the rear tires and close as possible to the rear bumper to avoid this assembly from being torn off in the event of a rear tire blowout.
Place a post cap on one end of the post (preferably opposite side as your connections) and use small screws for permanent placement. The rain gutter (also with drain holes) piece inserts into the the post (and may need to be cut) and is used as a tray for your hose and fittings. I used two small springs on each side of the cap and post on the access side. These springs allow me to slide the cap off and slide out the tray without the cap coming off or the cap falling off while traveling. This mod works great, no buckets, bags or totes for the stinky slinky. I am not near my camper or I would send a picture but I know a few others on here who have done this mod and may have photos.
Good luck
RMc
K, saw your second post. That bumper will develop rust and in time will create an abrasive surface that can rub holes into your hoses. Just a thought.
Well this is how I did a 5" vinyl fence post sewer hose carrier. I don't use a section of gutter, but have given some thought. I have the hinged door on both ends. The hangers are were bent out of strap steel 1"x1/8".

Old 02-26-2022, 07:01 PM   #15
rhagfo

Quote:
Vey interesting, That would be secure. One additional question I have the 6.5 bed with out a slider would the bikes interfere with turning or are the bikes short enough to stay off your window?
Previously when this has been posted another member that said they had a four bike carrier on a SB truck, with no issues.
Old 02-26-2022, 07:12 PM   #16
Opa 1

Thank you for the photos of the vinyl fence post cover, very helpful and really nice job on your hinges on the covers
Old 02-26-2022, 07:15 PM   #17
Opa 1

rhagfo. Thank you for the update and previous pics of the install. Bikes definitely more secure up front for sure
Old 02-27-2022, 02:58 AM   #18
RickV

The Pin Box mounted Bike Rack looks interesting. As for Sewer Hose storage I have used this on my last two 5ers works great https://smile.amazon.com/Valterra-Ad...s%2C140&sr=8-5

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 04:19 AM   #19
Opa 1

Thanks RickV. I saw those yesterday and wondered how well it worked
Old 02-27-2022, 05:04 AM   #20
JDDilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
The Pin Box mounted Bike Rack looks interesting. As for Sewer Hose storage I have used this on my last two 5ers works great https://smile.amazon.com/Valterra-Ad...s%2C140&sr=8-5
I have 2 of these.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage