Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2022, 03:32 PM   #1
Rebecca

Angry Outlets not working

We just purchased a 2022 Avalanche 39DS, camping world said everything was working. Brought it to our RV park, and the whole back bedroom outlets don't work, including the bathroom, top loft, kitchen island, and back of the TV outlets, are NOT WORKING. Only one GFCI, in top bathroom. Reset everything a few times, and nothing. Camping world says bring it back in, but we are two months out! I'm not electrician, so I don't even know where to start. One day of having this and I'm ready to send it back. Called a RV mechanic out, but won't be here till next week, and guess who has to pay for all the work they need to do, ME! SO frustrating 😫
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 05:00 PM   #2
bgrhrdt

Sorry to hear about your issues. Before you pay someone, have you checked the circuit breaker panel (it's inside a panel mounted near the floor). Even if none look tripped, it's a good idea to switch the breakers to "off" and then back to "on."

It's a place to start. You'll get plenty of advice on here for other more obscure solutions. Good luck and don't give up.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:05 PM   #3
bgrhrdt

And if it was me, I'd drive it to the dealers in the middle of a busy day and ask at the service desk for someone to come out and show you what's wrong. It won't take them long to figure it out and take care of it, especially with people around.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:01 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrhrdt View Post
And if it was me, I'd drive it to the dealers in the middle of a busy day and ask at the service desk for someone to come out and show you what's wrong. It won't take them long to figure it out and take care of it, especially with people around.
I can assure you, doing that will NOT get it fixed or probably even looked at. I’ve been the tech at a dealership when a customer just showed up and I can tell you from personal experience your just going to put a sour taste in the dealerships service department. Techs work is scheduled and laid out at least a day in advance and unless you ASK FIRST, your most likely going to be sent back home BTST more than a few times.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:25 PM   #5
Rebecca

We have tried everything! We did a hard reset on it, turned everything off and reset them, still nothing! I guess I'll just have to wait till the mechanic comes out 😔 paid an arm, leg, and a lung for this RV and the sales place doesn't seem to give a 💩
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:28 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrhrdt View Post

This won't work. I know my dealer well; GM, SM, techs etc. I watched a guy come in one day when I had work scheduled and try to "force his hand". He was ugly and belligerent with the service advisor insisting on having his problem looked at "right now" as his trailer was right there, right now.

Hammered the SA who then got the SM. They then told him all their issues and opinions. He referred them back to the SA to go look at the problems. Came back in and they gave him the same time frame expressed up front...only now there would be no consideration for preference....he would definitely be at the back of the line until ??? Know who you are dealing with and how to deal with them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:33 PM   #7
jasin1

You said there is only one gfci in the top bathroom? But there is also a rear bathroom?…if so then I would look EVERYWHERE for another gfci…could be in an outdoor receptacle or outdoor kitchen( if you have one)..if it’s a residential fridge maybe it plugs into a gfci outlet?…could be one in The basement storage ..

Because there should be a gfci for the rear bath also
Old 02-21-2022, 06:50 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
We have tried everything! We did a hard reset on it, turned everything off and reset them, still nothing! I guess I'll just have to wait till the mechanic comes out 😔 paid an arm, leg, and a lung for this RV and the sales place doesn't seem to give a 💩
Are you comfortable using a volt meter? If so I would start at the breaker panel. Maybe you lost 1 leg.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-22-2022, 06:09 AM   #9
ChuckS

I feel for the OP with a new RV and having this issue...

But.. it is pretty much the trend now with the backlog of the service departments and warranty work

This is why RV owners have got to educate themselves on the use of a multimeter and basic electric TS techniques...

Quite frankly - with the number of Excellent Youtube videos out there to instruct one on the basics of AC and DC TS there really isn't an excuse not to learn how to TS your own RV electrical system..

This is a great YouTube channel and the fella is well respected and you wont get BS... Youi will LEARN something..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVc...d1g4uwWeaqdHNg

The OP could try and get Keystone to allow him to utilize their DIY program and they might pay for a mobile tech to get his 120 power restored to the outlets...

Keystones DIY program link:
https://www.keystonerv.com/diy-program

I see folks saying all the time they can't do this or that.. with todays readily available information and videos... Yes... you can...

HVAC troubleshooting ( with higher voltages from capacitors and such would not be the place for a beginner to start..).. But a simple GFCI outlet and the outlets affected on the LOAD side of the GFCI is just not that difficult to TS

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:06 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

While I agree mostly with the above. We should encourage folks to self educate and try with in reasonable goals. If you have the will to learnthen most anything is possible. Back in the 1980's I was injured at work. Over the years I've had 13 surgeries as a result. The first 6 surgeries were over a two year period. Point is, I had time on my hands and needed a distraction for my mind to help with the pain control. So I became an avid reader.

After reading a ton of books on on everything from firearms to world history I became interested in computers. This was the era where "computer parts" stores started appearing and catalogues of on-line ordering were available. I started reading everything I could get my hands on It was easy for me to understand as it's basically the transfer and manipulation of electricity. Started building my own computers and built a bunch for friends and relatives. Then I started networking my house. This was long before most people knew what a network was.

So the point I'm getting to is that I was an industrial electrician, I wasn't "afraid" of it. Later in life I taught several electrical courses for a college as adjunct faculty. I have seen many different challenges some people have when attempting to learn. Most of those challenges (and failures) were I believe attributed to a defeatist attitude going in. The students that respected electricity typically were fine, those that absolutely feared it really struggled. If you think electricity is the creation of Merlin anmd the bite of a rattlesnake then you will struggle. Those that struggled with it I tried to focus on and help them defeated their fears. Often spending some hours away from the course time in the lab with full focus on addressing their "struggles".

So while YouTube will give you videos to watch you have to research who's giving you that information. The problem I have with YouTube as a teacher is that they don't answer questions, it can't see the puzzled look in a students face. I know I'm biased and "old school" I'd urge any one that's not comfortable doing electrical work to look for a local program to get the education. Most every town has some form of adult education available with varied programs. Sometimes a program targeting "general home repairs" or the like will cover basic electricity.

I urge anyone with an RV to get some basic education on electricity and some basic testing tools. You can buy a multimeter very little money these days. If you use an RV for any length of time come basic skills in AC and DC electricity can save you a lot of money as the vast majority of issues are either directly or indirectly involve the electrical systems.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:56 AM   #11
ChuckS

Yup -- the point I am trying to make is there are many resources out there for folks to utilize to educate themselves on their RV, how to take care of it and how to fix most things when problems occur..

Some may not be physically able and they have no choice but to rely on the services from and RV repair center or RV mobile Tech..

At 68 I am still able to do everything I want so I am fortunate in that respect.

Utilize whatever resource suits your fancy, time, and needs...

The Rver today just has to become more actively involved in the upkeep and maintenance of their unit or they will spend many months sitting at home while their RV is tied up somewhere due to the severe backlog at repair centers..

Noting beats hands on training or learning.. but if you can't find those avenues to use then explore other opportunities

The link I posted for Mike Sokol's YouTube channel is as good as it gets.. And his background is easy to verify..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:38 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Agree self help is best if possible. I've had 2 flats on campers (self inflicted both times) and both times the DW said " we have coverage let's call .. " Both times I put the spare tire on because I could do it in less than 10 mins. It wasn't a matter of cost as it would have included in the roadside service.

The one thing I failed to mention in learning how to make your own repairs. When you learn how to fix something hopefully you also learn WHY you have fix it. Understanding the why, if you pay attention, can help in preventing the need as often it's a result of use vs design (or lack of proper design).
Old 02-22-2022, 10:23 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

NO, NO, NO!!!! Stop with all this self help crap. I’ll be out of a job….

This is 2/2/22 and I’m trying to be twice as funny. LOL

Old 02-22-2022, 10:54 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

That was almost 3 weeks ago, Chuck !!!!

Today is 2/22/22 (but we know what you mean)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:10 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

Chuck don't worry about it, it's not all it's cracked up to be. DW told me I needed help badly so I decided to try some "self help"....it didn't, and doesn't, work apparently. DW said I'm worse now than I was before I decided to self help myself in various ways.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 12:18 PM   #16
Wyldfire

Would this happen to be a 50 Amp trailer plugged into a 30 Amp or less service? Bad dog bone? If 50 Amp service are you sure both lines of box are working. This might not be a camper issue but a electric supply issue.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 12:36 PM   #17
Stumpy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
You said there is only one gfci in the top bathroom? But there is also a rear bathroom?…if so then I would look EVERYWHERE for another gfci…could be in an outdoor receptacle or outdoor kitchen( if you have one)..if it’s a residential fridge maybe it plugs into a gfci outlet?…could be one in The basement storage ..

Because there should be a gfci for the rear bath also
As others have mentioned, I can't believe that there is only ONE GFCI outlet on a trailer that large. There has to be another one somewhere(or maybe more than one more), and I'm going to guess that that will be the problem.

Try the outside outlet... I have not seen an outside outlet without a GFCI.

2014 Keystone Outback 210TRS
2020 F150, 3.5l, 4x4, 3.55:1, Supercrew
Stumpy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 12:54 PM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

An exterior outlet does not have to be a gfi itself. An exterior outlet must be protected which can be accomplished by having it wired to the load side of an interior gfi are a gfi breaker in the power distribution panel.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:59 PM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Chuck don't worry about it, it's not all it's cracked up to be. DW told me I needed help badly so I decided to try some "self help"....it didn't, and doesn't, work apparently. DW said I'm worse now than I was before I decided to self help myself in various ways.
I tried "self help" for my overweight issue but I think I have a dyslexia issue because when I'm around food I just "help myself".
Old 02-22-2022, 01:04 PM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That was almost 3 weeks ago, Chuck !!!!

Today is 2/22/22 (but we know what you mean)
Yeah, I know. I need help!!!

Tags
outlets