Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2022, 12:06 PM   #21
rhagfo

I don’t put any thing in it never noticed a smell.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 12:40 PM   #22
Opa 1

Thanks y’all I added 1/4 cup of dawn and about 1/4 cup of borax with a 5 gallon buck of water today.

We plan to go camping next weekend and plan to repeat after we dump.

As referenced above a 1/4 cup was a pretty good squirt but was also surprised to see how quick I got to a quarter cup so I wouldn’t be surprised if more is needed next time
Old 02-26-2022, 06:12 PM   #23
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I don’t put any thing in it never noticed a smell.
I've evolved to this as well. I used to add special tablets, deodorant pods, etc. I finally realized I don't need all of that. I do add a couple of gallons of water after dumping the tanks. And I never had faith in adding crushed ice. Lol
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 10:06 PM   #24
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I've evolved to this as well. I used to add special tablets, deodorant pods, etc. I finally realized I don't need all of that. I do add a couple of gallons of water after dumping the tanks. And I never had faith in adding crushed ice. Lol
IMO adding 5-10lbs of ice is like adding 4-6 cubes to a 5 gallon bucket of water, they'll be melted before you could get in the truck to drive around the block.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 05:12 AM   #25
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
IMO adding 5-10lbs of ice is like adding 4-6 cubes to a 5 gallon bucket of water, they'll be melted before you could get in the truck to drive around the block.
Hot water might help desolve the crud. Ice water would have the opposite effect.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 10:48 AM   #26
precab

Echo all on Geo method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa 1 View Post
I have read on some Facebook conversations about after emptying the black water tank some put in a 5 gallon bucket of water and a cup of dish soap plus whatever good smelling oder control you choose.

I knew about putting a couple gallons of water and the oder control stuff but never heard of the dish soap and 5 gallons. I trust this forum much more than anything on the Facebook. I look forward to your answers

For those that have mentioned that the Geo method, it is simple and a must do if you want clean tanks for maintenance
precab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:58 AM   #27
apachewolf

cleaning the sinks

[QUOTE=dutchmensport;487604]
Depending on the "texture" of the #2, even after flushing, more times than not, it's still stuck to the side of the toilet bowl. But, you just flushed your toilet? Didn't the force of the swirling water clean the sides completely ... um ... more times than not ... no. What do you do next? Get the toilet bowl brush and scrub it off and flush again.

Prior to a trip out I always scrub down the camper, especially the kitchen sink, bathroom sink and the toilet bowl. And after the scrub I use NU FINISH CAR POLISH in the sinks and the toilet bowl. This ensures that they are easy to clean VERY little adheres to the sides if the sinks and the toilet has been polished with that or car VAX can also be used. The smooth surface is what does it.

Happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 01:33 PM   #28
Shedboy

Adding bleach is not advisable because it kills the organics essential to composting the solids in the tank. The smell from the tank (mostly methane) is evidence that the solids are being digested by live bacteria.

Next time in the hardware store go over to the septic tank section and read the ingredients label in the septic tank chemicals.They are usually various kinds of live enzymes.

Enzymes are proteins that act as biological catalysts. Catalysts accelerate chemical reactions. The molecules that enzymes act on are called substrates, and the enzymes converts the substrates (poop) into different molecules known as products; methane and other organic and inorganic products.

The products (residuals) left in the black tank after the enzymes are done eating the organics (about 7 days at temperatures above 60 degrees - the smell stops) can be removed with detergents and soaps.

The chemical mechanism of detergents is different than that of enzymes. Detergents are inorganic, they chemically bond to both water and oils. Some (Dawn) alter the molecular surface tension (stickiness) of materials they contact, oils stick to the detergent molecules and release from the substrate, a mechanical process. For the most part, the poop doesn't decompose, it is suspended in a detergent solution.

So if you want a pristine black tank, put septic enzymes in it. After 7 days above 60 degrees add detergent, drive around to slosh the solution to decouple the organics from the tank surface then dump.

Bleach is counterproductive to anything that that happens in the black tank. Don't do it.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 04:28 PM   #29
Bandit12

There are many varieties of additives for your black holding tanks, homegrown GEO method, drop in packs, Happy Camper, Unique comes immediately to mind. I've never used the GEO method or Unique, so I can't speak to how effective those are. I have used the drop in packets and I'm currently using Happy Camper. I do like the ease of Happy Camper, but I understand it's no longer available in California. When I exhaust my current supply, I intend to start using Unique.

My current routine for dumping my black tank is to connect my tank flush using an inline water meter, a shutoff valve and a 90-degree brass elbow at the trailer connection. I use a 45-degree clear elbow at the dump valve so I can see what is draining from my tank. Dump the black tank, close the dump valve, add 15-20 gallons of water thru the flush. Shut off the flush and dump the black tank again. If I see any solid matter, including paper, I leave the v=dump open and run the flush for another 10 gallons or so. Close the dump valve and continue adding another 10-15 gallons thru the flush, leave it running and open the dump valve. Usually by this time I only see clear water running from the tank. Complete dumping the gray tanks, rinse the slinky, and stow everything. I then add a full bowlful of water to the toilet along with a scoop of Happy Camper. Flush that down and follow with an additional bowlful of water. I'm now completely done with dumping my tanks and they stay this way, year-round, until the next time I dump. I do add about 1/4 bottle of Thetford seal conditioner to the toilet bowl when I winterize the trailer for winter.

I am respectful of others if I'm at a dump station and abbreviate my process so I don't hold up others waiting to dump. I only do these procedures at a full hook up site, or at home where I can dump my tanks in my own sewer.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 05:59 PM   #30
lonerider98

Doesn't dish soap leave a film on the sides of the tank and mess with the sensors. especially if it drys on the walls???
lonerider98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:12 PM   #31
vampress_me

I can say, for the amount of dish soap to use. A good squeeze of the bottle is just fine. Just don’t do 3-4 big squeezes for one black tank. Last summer with the new camper I decided I should use a “bit” more Dawn and Calgon since the black tank on this camper is larger than the one on our Cougar was. Makes sense, right? Well, seems as how the next time DH went to dump and flush the tanks I foamed up the clear elbow so well with soap bubbles we couldn’t see anything through it. Took a lot of water flushed through the hose to get the foam to disappear.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:54 AM   #32
KJJ

Me neither RHAGFO, don't know what the big fuss is about. I've heard some dump a bag of ice in it before dumping. We put most of the TP in a garbage can and once one a while when dumping I will stick a jet wand into the tank via the toilet.
KJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 01:47 PM   #33
JohnP

clean black tank

I always put a couple gallons of water, 1 cup of fabric softener and a small pouch of commercial tank treatment, in the black water tank well before any trips. it sloshes around once I get to my camp spot then use plenty of water on every flush. Made the mistake once of trying to save on water and not a good Idea as you will cause a poop pile/dam that doesn't want to move. You want everything floating in that tank ! Once I leave the campground and dump I immeadiately put in the cup of fabric softener and commercial waste treatment with a couple gallons of water to slosh as we drive. Never have any odours or dumping issues .
Old 02-28-2022, 02:49 PM   #34
travelin texans

Just my .02 cents!
The ice method is a waste of time & ice!
Enzymes typically take 30 days to do anything to solids, work great in septic tanks but the solids aren't in holding tanks long enough to break down.
The soap suspends the solids so that they drain when the valve is opened.
NO WAY on God's green earth would saving used toilet paper in a bucket
be done in any home or rv of ours, flushing only as it was designed to be!!
If anyone feels the need for expensive black tank cleaners, sensor cleaners, so called waste digesters or deodorant chemicals then by all means use them, they won't hurt but in most cases don't work as claimed.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:43 AM   #35
TomTerrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
Sounds like a good plan. I try to dump only when it’s nearly full to get a good flush.

I will sometimes not dump when getting ready to leave a site, but dump as soon as I arrive at the new spot, so it’s been mixed good during travel.
I had an rv tech mention that the whimpy straps they use on the tanks would advise you to not travel with they're full. The weight could break them loose.
TomTerrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 10:17 AM   #36
GilaElkHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTerrific View Post
I had an rv tech mention that the whimpy straps they use on the tanks would advise you to not travel with they're full. The weight could break them loose.
I would have asked him how he gets home after a few days boondocking and not be traveling with full tanks??? Not everyone camps with full hooh-ups. They are supposed to be built to handle that. (yeah right)!
2019 High Country 310RE
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Sailun S637 tires
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:02 AM   #37
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTerrific View Post

This reminded me of this thread:

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...highlight=tank

From other postings I believe the tanks are supported in channels that this should never happen. IMO the straps shown in later pictures in the thread were a 'feel good' addition.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 01:28 PM   #38
GHen

Mixing bleach with the dry dishwasher soap is a really bad idea, that type (alkaline) of soap can release all the chlorine from the bleach. Not a good idea for a sealed up RV.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 03:03 PM   #39
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post

My current routine for dumping my black tank is to connect my tank flush .... add 15-20 gallons of water .... If I see any solid matter, ... continue adding another 10-15 gallons thru the flush, leave it running and open the dump valve. ...

That my friend, is a horrible waste of water. You can accomplish the same thing using zero extra water. What you say? Yes, really ... if your black and grey valves join to one outlet.

If they do, you can easily back flush the gray water tank into the black tank, flushing out all those solids that did not exit after the initial dump. And it takes no additional water than what you have already used.

How you do it.

First, purchase a Flush King type of valve with a clear section on it so you can see the contents inside as it dumps. Attach the Flush King type 3rd valve to your black water / grey water outlet.

With all valves closed, follow this procedure:

Second:
Open the Flush King valve.

Third:
Open the black tank valve and let the black tank completely empty. You can see when it's empty through that clear section of pipe.

Fourth:
Close the Flush King valve.

Fifth:
Open the gray tank valve.

Water will now force itself from the full gray water tank into the black tank. After about 10 seconds, the tanks will equalize, each will now contain about 50 / 50 % of the gray water.

Sixth:
Close the gay water tank valve.

Seventh:
Open the Flush King valve again to dump the black tank again.

When you do this, you'll see all the extra solids pouring out that were left behind after the first flush. You'll be shocked how much more will come out.

Eight:
When the black tank quits draining again, repeat this process again. You can do this comfortable 3 times, and still have enough gray water remaining for a final flush of the sewer hose.

Nine:
Now, if you want to fine tune things, Now run your black tank flush. You'll only need to run it a gallon or two of water to see no more solids are coming out. So, actually, there is no reason to use the black tank flush at all.

Also, this works so well, once you start doing it this way, you'll never deviate again, ever, every time you dump your tanks.

The secret is to keep as much grey water in your tank as possible so you have as much as possible for back flushing.

And, this uses no extra water at all! Of course, your camper has to be set up with with the black and grey outlets exiting through a common port.

Also, if you do this with every dump, you do not have to wait for your black tank to be completely filled. Actually, if you use the potty only 1 times, you can still do the back flush and everything will get removed.

I never deviate from this process, ever. It takes no extra time to do this, since you have to dump both tanks anyway. What you are doing is utilizing resources a little wiser, and the back flush actually cleans the tank better than the black tank flusher does.

Just try it, see if I can convert you into a believer!
Old 03-05-2022, 04:03 PM   #40
jxnbbl

Thanks for the procedure, makes perfect sense. What a great tip.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank