Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2021, 12:59 PM   #21
Badbart56

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Jeff, We may have to have a little 'talk' with you concerning that bull bar on the front and the effect on your cargo capacity!

I almost hit a moose in Canada last year with our "old" truck. It was around dusk and it was walking away from me in the road. Their rump is a lighter color than the rest of their body, that's all that saved me (him) at the last minute! They don't call these things "Moose Bumpers" for nothing! One of the drivers that's been with the company for many years has logged 8 moose strikes and that bumper has saved the truck every time! We always ask him if he carries his hunting license with him on the road!

All of our trucks get these bumpers before they hit the road just for that reason, but they do look good. The owners believe that image is important and they spare no expense, right down to letting us wash the trucks and trailers twice a week. Michelin super single tires, disc brakes all around on trucks and trailers, leather seats, polished aluminum rims all around! We're first class!

And we don't worry a lot about payload! We specialize in refrigerated pharmaceuticals and we often only have 3 to 5 pallets weighing less than 5000 pounds. We have 8 pallets today weighing 712 pounds. But our payload is legal to 41,500 if need be on this particular trailer. And that front axle is only good to 12,300 lbs., 34,000 on the rears!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 02:02 PM   #22
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave_185 View Post
I have a little motorcycle trailer just like that, slow and steady does it, worst part is it’s low and you can’t see it in a mirror.

I hand walk it a lot of the time
I have a few small trailers..I put two 1/8” diameter rods sticking straight up on both sides close to the back of the trailer so I can see it from the truck in the mirror…have to do that to a jet ski trailer I just got also
Old 12-05-2021, 05:38 PM   #23
Hankster

That $2000 bull bar can save a $3,000 radiator, let alone the down time. Moose, and elk can wreak havoc on a big rig.
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:08 AM   #24
friz

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
..................I'm thinking gasser..........
Good naturedly suggest that if you are thinking gasser, you are not thinking.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:52 AM   #25
Mike1954

I got a 2021 F250 gasser and took it from Phoenix to Michigan for the summer..
It’s got the new 7.3 V8, 10speed automatic, 10 mpg towing, 14mpg the rest of the time. Love it, going through the mountains, it’s a beast and pulled great. Got the 5th wheel prep kit (puck system) and a new hitch that only weighs 64 lbs.
PullRite Superlite #2600 20k
Mike1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:35 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
Good naturedly suggest that if you are thinking gasser, you are not thinking.

Good naturedly suggesting buying a diesel to say you have a "diesel" is certainly "not thinking" - many other factors come into play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1954 View Post
I got a 2021 F250 gasser and took it from Phoenix to Michigan for the summer..
It’s got the new 7.3 V8, 10speed automatic, 10 mpg towing, 14mpg the rest of the time. Love it, going through the mountains, it’s a beast and pulled great. Got the 5th wheel prep kit (puck system) and a new hitch that only weighs 64 lbs.

I think most folks that state that a gas engine is worthless for towing and that a diesel is the only way to go no matter what have never driven a new gas truck (big engines) with a trailer in tow. New ones are definitely not anything like prior gas engine/tranny combos, pre 2018, for sure.

I'm on my last trailer but not last truck I'm sure since I don't keep them that long. My next truck will be a 1 ton SRW. Whether a Ram diesel or a Ford 7.3 gas I don't know at the moment.....maybe Ram will come out with a 500+ lb. ft. torque gasser as I keep asking them to do.....but I'm not holding my breath.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:03 AM   #27
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
If I buy, whatever I buy will be the last of it.
At my age I really don't see RV'ing much more than another 5 years.
Hmmm, that's just what I said 7 years ago and we're still going strong.

Made the last payment on the fiver this week and yippy, like you say having it all paid off is priceless.

I do prefer the torque of the diesel (this is my fourth) and my experience is the resale value will return all but maybe $2000 of that initial cost. That makes the payback maybe 2 1/2 years, but you do have that initial outlay.

It all comes down to taste and use. We 1/2 time so "big trailer" is important.

All an interesting discussion. I learned in the army when towing a short generator trailer with a 6x6 that when the wheelbase of the truck is much longer than the distance from the pin to the trailer wheels, it becomes very difficult to back up.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:23 AM   #28
Ribtip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Good naturedly suggesting buying a diesel to say you have a "diesel" is certainly "not thinking" - many other factors come into play.

I think most folks that state that a gas engine is worthless for towing and that a diesel is the only way to go no matter what have never driven a new gas truck (big engines) with a trailer in tow. New ones are definitely not anything like prior gas engine/tranny combos, pre 2018, for sure.

I'm on my last trailer but not last truck I'm sure since I don't keep them that long. My next truck will be a 1 ton SRW. Whether a Ram diesel or a Ford 7.3 gas I don't know at the moment.....maybe Ram will come out with a 500+ lb. ft. torque gasser as I keep asking them to do.....but I'm not holding my breath.
I agree. Someone a week or so ago compared a new gas to a 1998 350 in their truck. Good grief .
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:23 AM   #29
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

The same goes for the newer diesels, they are night/day different than just a few years ago, they are & meant to be towing beast.
I have towed heavy with both gas & diesel, both old & new, & depending on size/weight a diesel is the absolute best option.
IMHO any rv 14k or more you'd be better served by a diesel truck.
I towed a gooseneck with a GCW of just over 26k with a F350 4x4 V10, that thing would pass everything on the highway but a gas station, 6-8 mpg towing & 8-10 mpg empty & every incline that engine screamed like a pig under a gate, but it kept on trucking.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 03:33 PM   #30
slider909

We started out years ago with a F150 with the 4.9 engine, got a small camper, it all was fine. Upgraded to a bigger camper, needed a bigger truck, got another f150 with the big engine in it and all you could do for towing. Worked fine. Then we got a bigger camper, up in the 8k range. The truck could pull it, but the camper would push the truck, you could feel it sway in cross winds and when semi's would pass you. Got a F250 with the 6.7 diesel, full HD camper package. Driving it with the 8k camper, it didn't care. Upgraded to a bigger camper, same thing. Upgraded to a new 5th wheel, that's the way to go. Handles and rides much better. I wanted to get a new 2021 now a 2022 F250 with the 7.3 gas engine, but I'm not interested in paying list + and having to wait 6 months. I know F150's are good trucks, but go to any campground and by far the majority are 250's, 2500's. From a safety standpoint, the bigger 3/4 ton trucks are the way to go.
slider909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 04:27 PM   #31
notanlines

Slider, if you travel the country you'll see that should read "350/3500's" not 250/2500's. We don't see many snowbirds pulling with 3/4 tons.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 05:28 PM   #32
friz

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Slider, if you travel the country you'll see that should read "350/3500's" not 250/2500's. We don't see many snowbirds pulling with 3/4 tons.
Oh dear, another retiree with blinders on? We have always driven 3/4 ton. But then again, I haven't paid much attention to the signs on the rigs stating "SNOWBIRD" so you may well be correct.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:00 PM   #33
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider909 View Post
We started out years ago with a F150 with the 4.9 engine, got a small camper, it all was fine. Upgraded to a bigger camper, needed a bigger truck, got another f150 with the big engine in it and all you could do for towing. Worked fine. Then we got a bigger camper, up in the 8k range. The truck could pull it, but the camper would push the truck, you could feel it sway in cross winds and when semi's would pass you. Got a F250 with the 6.7 diesel, full HD camper package. Driving it with the 8k camper, it didn't care. Upgraded to a bigger camper, same thing. Upgraded to a new 5th wheel, that's the way to go. Handles and rides much better. I wanted to get a new 2021 now a 2022 F250 with the 7.3 gas engine, but I'm not interested in paying list + and having to wait 6 months. I know F150's are good trucks, but go to any campground and by far the majority are 250's, 2500's. From a safety standpoint, the bigger 3/4 ton trucks are the way to go.
Best bang for the buck is skip the 3/4 ton & go with the 350/3500. Same ride, same engine/trannies available, same options, same mpg, same size (unless you go dually) & very little more $$. The huge difference is payload which is very important when getting into 5th wheels, most with a GVWR of 12k+ will most likely exceed the 3/4 ton payload.
Can't say about newer trucks as they've started upping the payloads on them, but in the older models the difference in payloads of 1/2 & 3/4 ton was minimal, the difference between 3/4 & 1 ton was very significant.
Replacement undetermined
Old 12-11-2021, 08:14 PM   #34
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz;479064[B
]Oh dear, another retiree with blinders on?[/B] We have always driven 3/4 ton. But then again, I haven't paid much attention to the signs on the rigs stating "SNOWBIRD" so you may well be correct.

^^^^Retirees can't "see" the big picture or what???
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:46 AM   #35
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I hate my utility trailer (4' x 8' tilt bed). I rather back in the 35 1/2' travel trailer into the driveway anytime vs the utility trailer.

I agree with Marshall.

Much easier to back the big rig than the little utility trailers.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:56 PM   #36
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Best bang for the buck is skip the 3/4 ton & go with the 350/3500. Same ride, same engine/trannies available, same options, same mpg, same size (unless you go dually) & very little more $$. The huge difference is payload which is very important when getting into 5th wheels, most with a GVWR of 12k+ will most likely exceed the 3/4 ton payload.
Can't say about newer trucks as they've started upping the payloads on them, but in the older models the difference in payloads of 1/2 & 3/4 ton was minimal, the difference between 3/4 & 1 ton was very significant.
The fact is, you can take the F350 badging off and replace it with F250 and no one could tell the difference in driving it. And as you say, pricing difference is negligible. Not sure why people are afraid to get a truck that's "TOO BIG"!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:25 AM   #37
Ribtip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
The fact is, you can take the F350 badging off and replace it with F250 and no one could tell the difference in driving it. And as you say, pricing difference is negligible. Not sure why people are afraid to get a truck that's "TOO BIG"!
Maybe because they don't cost the same and they don't ride the same. Why do they make the 2500 anyway. Oh wait we beat that to death too.
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 10:00 AM   #38
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtip View Post
Maybe because they don't cost the same and they don't ride the same. Why do they make the 2500 anyway. Oh wait we beat that to death too.
I'd almost bet the minimal price difference of a 3/4 to a 1 ton that if the badging were removed you couldn't tell the difference in the ride, nor any other feature, between the 2. Now you would notice a slight ride difference in a dually & a big difference in handling towing a big heavy 5th wheel.
Replacement undetermined
Old 12-15-2021, 01:54 PM   #39
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
Oh dear, another retiree with blinders on? We have always driven 3/4 ton. But then again, I haven't paid much attention to the signs on the rigs stating "SNOWBIRD" so you may well be correct.
DO NOT PICK ON 'OL JIM. He can spot a snowbird from 4 miles away; when he was a youngster (under 75 yo), he could spot 'em from 5 miles away. BTW: I have a 2002 Cougar 278EFS as well and I hauled it for several years with a 1996 F250 w/460 CID gas hog engine. It towed fine BUT had drum brakes and those things would get HOT in the Texas Hill Country on steep downhills. If you can smell you drums while going through switchback downhills, a truck with four wheel disks is a good idea. I have no doubt your newer F250 does a great job and I don't think Jim understands how relatively little (28 feet) our 5th wheels are. I have never bothered to get on the scales as I had no idea what the payload was for my 96 and my 2006 F350 is 4K lbs.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 01:58 PM   #40
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'd almost bet the minimal price difference of a 3/4 to a 1 ton that if the badging were removed you couldn't tell the difference in the ride, nor any other feature, between the 2. Now you would notice a slight ride difference in a dually & a big difference in handling towing a big heavy 5th wheel.
I had a 3/4 ton 96 F250 and you could definitely tell the difference relative to my 2006 F350. 10 years on the road and a 1/4 million miles on the 96 and it rattled so bad (all interior panels were LOOSE and the side windows were loose) my clunky 06 sounds almost quiet except for the miserable poly frame bumbers that squeak and groan. It actually was a noticeable upgrade in ride when the cabin wasn't wallowing around with the OEMs which were almost non-existent when I changed them out. Both truck rode/ride fairly harsh with 80PSI and aftermarket shocks.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote