Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2021, 12:43 PM   #1
Berdan

RV valuation for Washington State use tax

I bought my TT from a private party and went in to transfer ownership, register, and pay Washington State use tax. The licensing agency looked up the value of my TT on NADA site as they use the average retail price. I was very shocked to find out that NADA valued the average retail at 41% more than I paid for the TT. I then did some research looking at same model TT for my year (2015) and and found 4 - 2016s for sale for well below the NADA average retail price. So I figure with depreciation mine should be below the average 2016 values.

I am unable to find another blue book source on the internet to compare but I believe the NADA numbers are highly inflated, at least for my model, given what I have found.

My question: Does anyone know of another reliable blue book type source that I can reference? In the end the licensing agency will need to trust that source.

Brien

2015 Cougar 22RBIWE
2020 Silverado LT Crew Cab 5.3L 4WD
Berdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:49 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Kind of strange that your tax office values based on high retail since that implies purchase from a brick and mortar business and business overhead is included in the price. Not sure if there is a definitive source of private sale valuation but if you traded that trailer in to a dealer, trade in price is listed and that might be a talking point with your tax office. You might also produce a bill of sale that is notorized.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:51 PM   #3
Berdan

[QUOTE=wiredgeorge;475277]Kind of strange that your tax office values based on high retail since that implies purchase from a brick and mortar business and business overhead is included in the price.

I live in a strange state

Brien

2015 Cougar 22RBIWE
Old 11-02-2021, 01:07 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Calif also charges “use tax” on private sales. Often times a signed bill of sale with the “price paid” is enough.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:20 PM   #5
Berdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Calif also charges “use tax” on private sales. Often times a signed bill of sale with the “price paid” is enough.
Chuck,

I do have a bill of sale with price. Unfortunately Washington's evaluation methodology is to use Average Retail; I suppose to keep people from selling their RV to their relative for $1 to avoid use tax.

Brien

Brien

2015 Cougar 22RBIWE
Old 11-02-2021, 02:35 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berdan View Post
Chuck,

I do have a bill of sale with price. Unfortunately Washington's evaluation methodology is to use Average Retail; I suppose to keep people from selling their RV to their relative for $1 to avoid use tax.

Brien
At one time Texas used the bill of sale to value a vehicle but there were too many $1 sales I guess so they use some book but NOT the NADA or KBB. It is a book put together by the tax folks I believe.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:43 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Chuck,

Brien
I would argue that what you paid is a “fair market” price. Can you appeal?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:33 PM   #8
Berdan

There is not a legal avenue with the state other than filling out a form that says the trailer was in poor condition and was not worth market value OR to have a professional assess the value. For the former both the buyer and seller have to sign the form so it would be an ethical stretch that I wouldn't put on the seller. Not sure who could do an assessment but in the end they probably end up referencing to the NADA value. Thus the question if there is an alternate evaluation source besides the NADA. I will show the licensing agency my data and see if I can convince them.

Brien

2015 Cougar 22RBIWE
Old 11-02-2021, 05:15 PM   #9
German Shepherd Guy

Found this:

https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-values/

Trouble is they say in the article that the NADA is pretty much it for RVs.

They do mention: -- "Platforms like RV Trader, which help people buy and sell RVs, are also a great resource for getting an approximate value of your rig. You can log onto the main website and type your RV’s make and model into the search bar to see what other owners are selling their rigs for."
Good Luck. I can understand why your state does it but it just seems a petty way to tax it's own citizens.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:11 PM   #10
Berdan

Thanks! Unfortunately no 2015 22RBIWE on RV Trader.

Brien

2015 Cougar 22RBIWE
Old 11-02-2021, 09:16 PM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Thanks! Unfortunately no 2015 22RBIWE on RV Trader.
Welcome to Washington!
They tax RVs and automobiles as much as they can. There was a ballot measure several years ago to reduce car registration to $30 a year, it passed. Then the state started adding fees to that base fee again!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:38 AM   #12
BandT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Welcome to Washington!
They tax RVs and automobiles as much as they can. There was a ballot measure several years ago to reduce car registration to $30 a year, it passed. Then the state started adding fees to that base fee again!
I believe we have passed $30 car tabs three times! Our unelected officials keep coming up with a reason they say it is unconstitutional. BS!

Not sure about RV’s, but with car’s and motorcycles, you can have any state licensed dealer give you a estimate of value on their invoice and present it to the license agency. Also most vehicle license agency are privately owned, so go try a different office. You will probably get a different answer.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:18 AM   #13
Ken / Claudia

I dealt with Wa state on 2 property purchases and sales. They included a park trailer on 1 and a manufactured home on another.
We purchased the MH on sale by having signed the contract one month and the build date 4 months later. I handed all the docs to the county. Clerk wanted to tax me at the full price not the 12,000 less I paid. I talked with a supervisor and she had the clerk tax me at the lower sale/purchase price. That was in Pacific Co. in 2008.
I understand some trying to bypass the tax. Decades ago a friend tried to convince Wa that his truck was given to him by his father and not subject to taxes. It was not, he brought it. He was upset he had to end up paying the fair market value in taxes. So many people registered their vehicles in Oregon to defraud Wa out of taxes. WSP had 15 troopers who's full time job was to search them out and charge them with crimes. Oregon was a flat fee vs Wa tax based on value.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:29 PM   #14
Berdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandT View Post
Also most vehicle license agency are privately owned, so go try a different office. You will probably get a different answer.
Well I tried this today. Went to another office. They asked the model number and I played coy and pointed to the model number on the title. The gal said never mind I will look it up. She then accessed some system and wrote down the model number. She then spent 10 minutes struggling to find the model number probably on the NADA site. She then gave me a piece of paper with Cougar models listed on and asked me to pick out the model on it. None of the Cougar models were my model and they were all X-lites. She then fiddled around in the system and then said we are not going to be able to do this today you are going to have to go get an appraisal. She also objected to the fact that the first letter of one of the seller's signature on the title was traced over darker (probably because of a bad pen) and said I would need the previous owner to fill out a statement of fact that they traced over the first letter even thought their signature was on the title twice.
I have come to the conclusion that not only was I dealing with a "dull knife in the drawer" but also that customer service is non-existent in places where the service is mandated by the government. Ok I already new the second one but just hadn't had to experience it recently.

Brien

2015 Cougar 22RBIWE
Old 11-03-2021, 04:33 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

What's that old saying when you hear, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".... Oh yeah, it's "RUN LIKE HELL" !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:14 AM   #16
adeakins

Valuation

Quote:
There is not a legal avenue with the state other than filling out a form that says the trailer was in poor condition and was not worth market value OR to have a professional assess the value. For the former both the buyer and seller have to sign the form so it would be an ethical stretch that I wouldn't put on the seller. Not sure who could do an assessment but in the end they probably end up referencing to the NADA value. Thus the question if there is an alternate evaluation source besides the NADA. I will show the licensing agency my data and see if I can convince them.
Take it to two of the major retailers and get quotes from them in writing. If the quotes are the same or close, wonderful. If not, average the two. This is typically acceptable in most areas that don’t use bill-of-sale.
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:16 AM   #17
pdaniel

Quote:
I bought my TT from a private party and went in to transfer ownership, register, and pay Washington State use tax. The licensing agency looked up the value of my TT on NADA site as they use the average retail price. I was very shocked to find out that NADA valued the average retail at 41% more than I paid for the TT. I then did some research looking at same model TT for my year (2015) and and found 4 - 2016s for sale for well below the NADA average retail price. So I figure with depreciation mine should be below the average 2016 values.

I am unable to find another blue book source on the internet to compare but I believe the NADA numbers are highly inflated, at least for my model, given what I have found.

My question: Does anyone know of another reliable blue book type source that I can reference? In the end the licensing agency will need to trust that source.
To the southwest of me in Nevada a county assesses RV taxes based on MSRP.
Based on that my taxes on my RV would be on a sliding scale beginning at approximately $1700.00 per year if I moved the 40 miles from Utah.
The taxes in my county on my RV are about $225.00 per year on a sliding scale.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:23 AM   #18
Fourbtgait

I live in Ea. Wa, have always had a signed receipt, price on title accepted. Once lady said price was to high, I should get seller to change it
Old 11-07-2021, 04:47 PM   #19
Berdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourbtgait View Post
I live in Ea. Wa, have always had a signed receipt, price on title accepted. Once lady said price was to high, I should get seller to change it
I might have to drive over to E. Wa. and get your license agency to register it.

Brien

2015 Cougar 22RBIWE
Old 11-08-2021, 06:24 PM   #20
Salty25

Quote:
Chuck,

Brien
Too bad you didn't buy it from a family member. WA does not tax if transferred between family members.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Salty25 is offline   Reply With Quote