Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2021, 12:51 PM   #1
wegone

About the propane regulator recall....

I have a appointment I made to take my trailer in for some warranty work and additional items in early August, the soonest I could get in was the first week of November.
I emailed them this morning just to be certain all was good to go.

Bottom line is NO....because if I bring my trailer in as scheduled they can't give it back to me in time for me to travel to see my kids, grandkids in Southern California because of this safety recall that they can't fix because the replacement parts are no where to be had....
And thus they can't let me have my trailer.....WTF?

I told them I would just do it myself before I brought it in, the scheduler is awaiting the answer if I can do this from the service manger who is gone and won't be back until next week.

WOW....I'm dumbfounded. I feel so stuck.
I guess if worse comes to worse, I go without it and never use Camping World ever again, never.
And we were thinking about going down 5 feet with a new purchase from our 26 foot (30 overall) when the COVID stuff passed....
We prolly will still go down, as we know now after having our new trailer, and first trailer, what works for us, and what doesn't.
I will buy new, but I will do my research and travel to a dealer if I must, before I go what's available locally, etc....

Live and learn...so beware if you take in your trailer to have any service done on it and this recall comes into effect, you might lose the use of your rig....damn.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:08 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
I have a appointment I made to take my trailer in for some warranty work and additional items in early August, the soonest I could get in was the first week of November.
I emailed them this morning just to be certain all was good to go.

Bottom line is NO....because if I bring my trailer in as scheduled they can't give it back to me in time for me to travel to see my kids, grandkids in Southern California because of this safety recall that they can't fix because the replacement parts are no where to be had....
And thus they can't let me have my trailer.....WTF?

I told them I would just do it myself before I brought it in, the scheduler is awaiting the answer if I can do this from the service manger who is gone and won't be back until next week.

WOW....I'm dumbfounded. I feel so stuck.
I guess if worse comes to worse, I go without it and never use Camping World ever again, never.
And we were thinking about going down 5 feet with a new purchase from our 26 foot (30 overall) when the COVID stuff passed....
We prolly will still go down, as we know now after having our new trailer, and first trailer, what works for us, and what doesn't.
I will buy new, but I will do my research and travel to a dealer if I must, before I go what's available locally, etc....

Live and learn...so beware if you take in your trailer to have any service done on it and this recall comes into effect, you might lose the use of your rig....damn.
Well yes that sucks but it has to do with your propane system….it’s one of the only things that can go …BOOM! when it is not working properly.

If you replace the regulator yourself or by your own repair tech then I can’t see that they would mind…they are just gonna check to see if the regulator is on the list of recalled ones and if not they will just move on to the next item on your list.
Really can’t fault the dealer for having to cover themselves when it comes to safety.
A car dealer wouldn’t let you drive away with a recalled fuel pump

Good luck and don’t write off the dealer for that
Old 10-02-2021, 01:18 PM   #3
wegone

Its not the safety issue, its that they had this information since August and if I hadn't taken the time to contact them BEFORE I dropped it off, I would have been SOL to my plans of being with my kids over the holidays.

THAT...is the deal breaker.

Ineptness and enabling has brought this country to where we are all victims and no one is responsible....I guess when pilots start crashing more and doctors start losing more patients when doing a routine exam....we'll worry.
Old 10-02-2021, 01:22 PM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
Its not the safety issue, its that they had this information since August and if I hadn't taken the time to contact them BEFORE I dropped it off, I would have been SOL to my plans of being with my kids over the holidays.

THAT...is the deal breaker.

Ineptness and enabling has brought this country to where we are all victims and no one is responsible....I guess when pilots start crashing more and doctors start losing more patients when doing a routine exam....we'll worry.
Oh I agree with your assessment of the bigger picture …I was just commenting on how to deal with the immediate problem
Old 10-02-2021, 02:11 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

A couple of things on your situation;

First, NEVER take an RV into a dealership for repairs of any kind without contacting them first and having a clear understanding of what they are going/willing to do and expressing your expectations....NEVER....with the exception of an on the road emergency when you are totally at anyone's mercy.

What they are doing really has nothing to do with CW as far as I can tell. I read the bulletin but do not remember them telling the owners it had to come in asap, or did it? I'm not a plumber but I suspect that once you put it in their hands and it is a safety issue with the LP system it's just like calling the gas company if you think you have a leak; they will lock your meter until it is rectified.

I think they were being straight up with you and that's what I ask of my dealer. Now if you need them to do something "special" for you like getting it in and out in front of others due to your planned trip you need to talk to the SM and not a service advisor. The service advisor will not deviate from the dealer policies which is you get in line.

Whether you choose to take it in or replace it yourself you may find getting one difficult. I posted a link the other day of a company that had some Marshal Excelsior regulators in stock so you may want to search that and see how quick you could get one. Or when the SM gets back talk to him first thing and see if he would let you just pull it in to let them replace the regulator and then just leave - IF THEY HAVE ONE. It will probably depend on how well you know him but I do it quite often. Takes all of 15 minutes.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 02:32 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

You can check on the regulator yourself, It is the Winntec model 6020 that is the subject of recall. This is not just Keystone, I have seen 3 Grand Design trailers with the same regulator.

IF you can get any other brand 2 stage autoswitchover regulator I would change it yourself and save the reciept.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 02:34 PM   #7
wegone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Oh I agree with your assessment of the bigger picture …I was just commenting on how to deal with the immediate problem
Gotcha ....
Old 10-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #8
wegone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
You can check on the regulator yourself, It is the Winntec model 6020 that is the subject of recall. This is not just Keystone, I have seen 3 Grand Design trailers with the same regulator.

IF you can get any other brand 2 stage autoswitchover regulator I would change it yourself and save the reciept.
That is where it stands at the moment.... I have been a plumber since 1971, Contractor, etc... I have done lots of gas line with natural and propane, installed boilers, stoves, kilns, etc...everything that needs heat from a fuel source. I can do this with no problem, and know my regulator is ok for now, been ok for two years, and the regulators seldom fail in any system, maybe the switch over in these, have issues, not sure.
If they say they can't accept my trailer based on me changing it out then I know they are just dodging me and can't really get to me, etc...
The recall notice says if I addressed the issue prior to getting the notice, they would comp me, gets kinda fuzzy after that, and it makes a notation about if I can't get it fixed in a timely manner, I can look for other solutions. I have a number and will call them Monday to get the exacts, and if Camping World still denies me, when they say its ok...I'll deal with that in a different manner.
So, until Wednesday when I am suppose to have a answer, I am in a holding pattern...have a short trip to the coast and surf this coming week, last outing of the year, other than the tow south.
Old 10-02-2021, 02:50 PM   #9
wegone

UPDATE....

While I was venting here they were emailing me that we are good to go....
That they don't have to do anything re: recall unless I ask them to, which we isn'ts

I think I'll get one and install it anyway, but I think I am OK.... I can smell propane from a mile away and know what a proper flame looks like, sorta like Ginger with Maryann's bubbly personality.....

Tags
propane, recall