Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2021, 06:34 PM   #1
dalamarjj78

WDH Setup Question

I've been having issues with trailer sway when pulling my 273BHS with my F150. It's not bad at low speeds but I've been avoiding the interstate.

After hitting the CAT scales I know my weights are good so I upgraded my WDH to a 4 point Equalizer. That helped a lot but there's still tail wag when going over 50mph.

I just figured I need more truck but have had multiple people reach out telling me their F150 pulls a similar trailer fine and suggested that maybe I had setup my hitch wrong or needed to make some adjustments.

I did setup the Equalizer myself and am hardly an expert but I followed the setup instructions very closely and all the measurements look good. Regardless, I took a few pictures and was hoping I could get some input. Does this setup look correct? Or does it maybe need some adjustment?

I actually put in an order on a 2022 F350 CCSB 7.3L 4.30 rear axle. So once that arrives I'm hoping all my trailer sway problems will be a thing of the past.

But I figured it still wouldn't hurt to get some input on my WDH setup since I'll be setting it up again on the new truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	35113   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	35114  

2022 F350 XLT CCSB SRW 7.3L 4.30 Gears
2021 Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite 273BHS

dalamarjj78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:35 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It's impossible to tell for sure, but looking at your second photo, it appears that your trailer is sitting "nose high". If it is, that is contributing to your trailer sway. It should be sitting "level" or better yet, "slightly nose low".

Take your truck and trailer to a paved parking lot like a church parking lot or a school parking lot. schedule a time when there is little/no traffic and find a level spot to park.

Measure your trailer both in front and in the rear. I like to use the "J-wrap molding" since it's relatively level from front to back, even though the J-wrap tends to be "cut and molded to give a slight rake to the trailer, visually reducing the appearance of bulk"... (sales and marketing input to help sell trailers)...

Once you know the trailer is the same height front and rear you can "assume that it is level (front to rear). Then measure the "trailer coupler" to get the correct height. Don't be persuaded to use the "standard 19" or standard 21" because "all travel trailers are ......". Measure your trailer, when it is LEVEL and that is "YOUR hitch height".

Then set your weight distribution hitch shank so the ball rides slightly below the trailer hitch height.

After you have the trailer and the hitch "on the same level", then go about carefully following the procedures to "adjust your weight distribution system to attain the proper tow vehicle front measurements.

I think you'll find that your trailer will tow much better, especially if the appearance in your second photo (trailer nose high) is really as it looks.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:34 PM   #3
dalamarjj78

Thanks for the input. Once I get the trailer back from having the last of its warranty work done then I'll take a closer look at how level the trailer is when hooking up.

When setting it up originally I was at home which isn't very level. First I leveled the trailer as much as I could (using a bubble level), measured to the inside top of the coupler, then raised the tongue and backed the truck up so the hitch ball was under the coupler.

I then adjusted the height of the hitch ball as close to possible to the measurement I had taken for the coupler. I figured if the ball was directly under the coupler and I could achieve the same measurement then that should be good enough.

But next time around I'll do what you suggested and actually take it to a level parking lot and double check everything to make sure it's actually level.

2022 F350 XLT CCSB SRW 7.3L 4.30 Gears
2021 Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite 273BHS

dalamarjj78 is offline   Reply With Quote