Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2021, 05:02 AM   #21
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Get that Vette. I sold my 2007 just to get garage space and regret it.
I've had five Corvettes over the years... it's in my blood, I'll get another one eventually. I would like a 2014, but may settle for a low mileage 40th anniversary ruby red one with both hard and soft tops... Actually I'd like the new mid-engine Corvettes, but out of my price range for now.
https://moskovita-photography.com/jacks-vettes.htm
K&N 71-1561 Air Intake w/FlowMaster Exhaust system.
jack65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:08 AM   #22
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
First year my TV was a 2016 Explorer Sport with the twin turbo 3.5.
365 HP. All the power I needed.
That's what my wife really wants, is a dark blue or maroon 2020 Explorer Sport with the 365 HP 3.5 I was hoping to tow with it but won't. I'll still get it for my wife and keep the Ram 1500 for towing and hold off on the Corvette... for now.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:17 AM   #23
notanlines

Jack, you can come by any time and take DW’s torch red C-5 (FRC) for awhile. Twenty some thousand miles, never gets driven.
All Corvettes are red. The rest are imposters.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:27 AM   #24
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Jack, you can come by any time and take DW’s torch red C-5 (FRC) for awhile. Twenty some thousand miles, never gets driven.
All Corvettes are red. The rest are imposters.
Did you notice four of my five Vette's were red? LOL
But my yellow and red one won over 25 trophies....
Old 07-16-2021, 07:18 AM   #25
travelin texans

[QUOTE=jack65;459282]
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post

Why don't they have laws to govern the safety for towing?

After reading all the post here, I'll keep my Ram 1500 and get the SUV for my wife and forget about a Corvette for now. I'll get one in the future though.
If there were laws requiring a specific rv license &/or a test prior to towing/driving a rv the sales of RVs would plummet to a fraction of what it is today.
Most folks, especially the younger ones, can't drive without towing, partially cause it's nothing to get a driver's license nowadays. Take a test online then drive around the block with Mom or Dad then in a couple weeks their license is in the mail.
Those towing with small/mid size SUVs just don't know what a much better towing experience they'd have with an appropriate tow vehicle, their stress level would be lowered considerably. When they say their towing experience is "just fine" that says they don't have any idea of what it should be like.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:26 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack65 View Post
No one has really responded to that question. I'm not kidding, I saw a lot of SUV's towing trailers or in campgrounds last summer.
Jeep claims theirs can tow:

The All-New Grand Cherokee L | 7,200 Pound Towing Capacity
https://www.jeep.com/all-new-grand-c...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Ok, here's a response. Currently there are cereal companies touting their producrs as "heart healthy" in a manner that implies that it will prevent heart disease. Every day I see a plethora of pharmacutical commercials that can only be rivaled by the "snake oil" salesmans of the late 19 th century medicin shows. I also see Joe Namath telling me I can get free meals, free medecine, a free ride to my doctors AND GET PAID FOR DOING IT if I just "call the toll free number".
A few years ago Ford showed their truck pulling a train. A few decades ago Toyota showed their truck pulling the space shuttle. A few decades before that tv show hosts were telling folks that cigarette brand x would "improve breathing". When it comes to advertising I'm a skeptic. I rely on experience and common sense to make my decisions. You do whatever you want. JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:44 AM   #27
wiredgeorge

I almost switched to Marlboros after seeing all the Paul Hornung ads! And Joe Namath as a pitchman is about as irritating as it gets. Come on Joe, go on home and enjoy you old age with some dignity! And didn't they have a Ram commercial where some guy was towing a small church? Really a bit of hyperbole in that one.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:45 AM   #28
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
And Joe Namath as a pitchman is about as irritating as it gets. Come on Joe, go on home and enjoy you old age with some dignity.
I didn't like him and his cocky attitude and big mouth way back when he won the super bowl.... and I sure don't like him now.
Old 07-16-2021, 12:04 PM   #29
travelin texans

There's a commercial airing currently, have no clue or care what it's advertising, with a woman in her Prius towing a 2 story house.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:33 PM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
There's a commercial airing currently, have no clue or care what it's advertising, with a woman in her Prius towing a 2 story house.
I think that's an insurance commercial. It irritates me as well. Off topic I know but it's so badanymore that if there's something I actually want to watch I'll record it on the DVR. I have the "skip forward" function set for 30 sec. A lot of programs require pushing the skip ahead 8 times. That's 4 min of commercials! And most are the same ones over and over again. Ridiculous. Sorry, rant over.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:46 AM   #31
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but that top photo looks like a MOAB in that trailer... If so, I sure hope nobody's smoking in that vette....
Not quite

-Brian
Old 07-17-2021, 08:25 AM   #32
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
Not quite

-Brian

I remember when there was an expression, "got the green weenie" ... I think it was from someone looking up at one of the Moabs coming down!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:13 AM   #33
RWRiley

[QUOTE=travelin texans;459271]
Quote:
Those you've seen towing with SUVs either don't know, they were probably assured by a salesman that didn't have a clue that it would be fine or they do know & don't give a s##t about their safety or anyone else's.
I disagree. I am on Tahoe #3 and TT #6. I have been pulling with Tahoes for 25 years, and I find them to be capable, and reliable.

I understand the #s, and make sure I have safety margins. GVW is the 1st thing that gets tight, so I size my trailers and load accordingly.
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:53 AM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWRiley;460280

I disagree. I am on Tahoe #3 and TT #6. I have been pulling with Tahoes for 25 years, and I find them to be capable, and reliable.

I understand the #s, and make sure I have safety margins. [B
GVW is the 1st thing that gets tight, so I size my trailers and load accordingly.[/B]
The "rub" comes into play when that "unknowing SUV owner" goes into a ultralight RV dealership with "eyes bigger than SUV" and the salesman mutters things like, "Sure, Escapes can tow anything up to 3500 pounds dry weight" or "Heck, your Expedition is built on the same frame as an F150, so you can tow anything on the lot".... Poor SUV owner's DW looks at that new 38' Passport and comments, "Now with 2 bathrooms and two bedrooms, we don't have to make the dinette into a bed every night. I like the one with green interior"....

What's a poor Explorer owner supposed to do ?????? The salesman said ... and the DW said ..., so where do I sign?.......

Anyone "in the know" can safely tow an RV with a Yukon (just not the biggest one on the lot). It's not the "in the know" owners that are having problems with sway, headlight aiming and overheated transmissions.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #35
jack65

Now all these "nay" post brings up a burning question.
Back when I was kid long ago in the 50's they were towing trailers with Toyotas, jeeps and similar rigs. My Dad bought a Toyota Landcruiser when they first came out here in 1958 and it had a rather weak 6cylinder, so Dad ended up putting a balanced and blueprinted Chevy 283 setup (cam and such) with low tranny gearing for torque. That pulled the small trailer fine. I do recall swaying problems from time to time which was spooky.... which wouldn't happen with a pickup.

So if so many could tow trailer back then, why not now?
My thinking is there are too many idiots that don't watch the RPM's while towing and keep it so it don't go below 2,500 rpm cruising and higher rpm's in the mountains. I always manual shift in the mountains with my 8 speed automatic.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:22 PM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Now all these "nay" post brings up a burning question.
Back when I was kid long ago in the 50's they were towing trailers with Toyotas, jeeps and similar rigs. My Dad bought a Toyota Landcruiser when they first came out here in 1958 and it had a rather weak 6cylinder, so Dad ended up putting a balanced and blueprinted Chevy 283 setup (cam and such) with low tranny gearing for torque. That pulled the small trailer fine. I do recall swaying problems from time to time which was spooky.... which wouldn't happen with a pickup.

So if so many could tow trailer back then, why not now?
My thinking is there are too many idiots that don't watch the RPM's while towing and keep it so it don't go below 2,500 rpm cruising and higher rpm's in the mountains. I always manual shift in the mountains with my 8 speed automatic.
Back then, people bought cars and houses with a "handshake and gentlemen's agreement". They lived in a time when lawyers didn't outnumber those with integrity and the belief that their "word is their bond".

Nobody "listened in on private conversations" on the party line (except kids and the nosey town gossip). Your privacy was respected by most people.

It was a "less populated world where the only person you would hurt by being stupid was yourself"... Today's world is filled with 6' extension cords with 9 safety tags, warnings not to drink the battery fluid, not to eat "tide pods" and locks for doors that Grandma never knew even had a locking capability. Back then, in 1972, I towed a 20' Jayco trailer with a 72 Dodge D200 with a LoadFlight 727 3 speed automatic and a 360 4 bbl carb. I could sit on top of the engine, pull the hood down over me and change the points and rotor without getting the engine wet. We lived in Denver at the time and I remember many "first gear, 25MPH climbs up Loveland Pass on Friday afternoon, trying to get into the mountains before the crowd on Saturday morning. A "crowded highway" was defined as more than 2 or 3 rigs going the same direction and when we stayed home, I could stand in the living room and see the mountains through the picture window, no smog, no climate inversions and no high-rise apartment buildings to block the view...

These days, between the 1,000 other rigs trying to race through the tunnel on Friday afternoon, the insurance rates that prohibit everyone from having "adequate coverage", the number of people who "just don't give a damn about sharing their road with other taxpayers" and the performance of "adequate rigs that maintain 60MPH up the pass, that "poor fool struggling in first gear at 25MPH is going to get run over and even if he makes it without causing an accident, he's going to be a "hazard to traffic" doing what was "not only OK but the norm" back in 1972 when it was "a simpler time".....

I remember seeing many Toyota Hilux 1/4 ton trucks with a replacement dually rear axle and "commercially built mini-home campers strapped on top. They'd wag and wiggle down the highway and there were as many "on the side of the road with hood up as there were in the campground".... Same with half ton trucks (Ford F100 and Chevy C10) with cab over campers weighing 1500 pounds with mom and dad in the cab, windows rolled down and wing windows bent all the way back to scoop hot air into the single cab with the 30 gallon gas tank directly behind it (inside the cab) and 3 or 4 kids laying on the bed in the cab-over watching for the next adventure as the family "cruised out west on vacation"....

When I learned to fly, it was in a Piper J3 with canvas wings. We never filed a flight plan, we never had clearance to "occupy airspace" over Vivian, LA. There was NEVER another airplane in the air, and even if there was one, it was a crop duster flying 1000' under us and we both saw each other "miles ahead of any chance close-air encounter. Now, try shooting an approach into a commercial airport in a J3 with a max airspeed of 85 MPH. Times have changed....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:47 PM   #37
jack65

Excellent points JRTJH
We actually live in bad times, and as I said:
"My thinking is there are too many IDIOTS that don't watch the RPM's while towing and keep it so it don't go below 2,500 rpm cruising and higher rpm's in the mountains."

Just look at the TV ads now, at least half of them are so stupid I won't buy their products... but that tells you they pay millions for ads that reach people that work... so that tells you just how many stupid people are out there...
Old 07-22-2021, 01:58 PM   #38
gearhead

All in the family, all 2007's, and we're missing little sisters black on black. My Monterey Red at left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vettes 004.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	34819  
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:27 PM   #39
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
All in the family, all 2007's, and we're missing little sisters black on black. My Monterey Red at left.
So you have those now?
I'm in between Corvettes, hope to have my sixth one by next year.
The favorite of the five I had:
https://moskovita-photography.com/jacks-vettes.htm
Was this one...
https://moskovita-photography.com/1977.htm
I won over 25 trophies with it and in one beat out 99 of the hundred that were invited for the top muscle 4' car trophy.

Another of my favorite wins! Hooters best of show
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Best_Trophy.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	34820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Best_Trophy2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	34821  
Old 07-22-2021, 06:14 PM   #40
RWRiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Anyone "in the know" can safely tow an RV with a Yukon (just not the biggest one on the lot). It's not the "in the know" owners that are having problems with sway, headlight aiming and overheated transmissions.....
I agree 100%, and I will admit to towing more than I should have in my 1st years of towing. I just thought "Hey - it's under the Max Trailer Weight so I must be good". I had no idea there was much more to it. I bet a lot of us are guilty of same at 1 time or another.

I wish there was some sort of document/disclosure that RV dealers were required to complete (and present to buyers) that spelled out the weights of the RV, and the capabilities of the TV needed to tow it. Right now, unsuspecting newbies (I was once one myself) rely on the RV dealer's advice, which of course, is usually bad because they don't have to take responsibility if it's wrong. I'm not a big fan of Law Suits, but until it costs a couple of RV dealers some serious cash (or maybe even their business) for dealing out irresponsible information, it won't change.
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow, towing