Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2021, 08:41 PM   #1
hylasw

Run whole 2012 keystone cougar 5th wheel on inverter ? How to do it?

We are plan on doing alot of dry camping and want to use a few item in our camper when we are dry camping on our batteries such as TV, Satellite, wifes Curling iron, and maybe a coffee pot.

I seen a video where a guy mounted a 2000 watt inverter in front of 5th wheel by batteries then just plugs in a heavy duty extension cord runs it to back of trailer plugs the heavy duty cord into cord coming out of 5th wheel (same cord you plug into if you are plugged in at a campground) he uses a 15 amp to 50 amp adapter so it works. He then turns off convertor by breaker switch in camper so convertor is not on. He claims that will run his whole trailer but he doesn't go crazy and watches what he turns on.

My question is I have a 2012 High Country Cougar the cord that comes out of the camper is a 30 amp would I be able to purchase a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter then run a heavy duty extension cord to front of camper where my batteries are and put in a 3000 inverter in same area and plug heavy duty extension cord into my inverter, I understand you want to turn breaker off the convertor in your camper when you are running inverter.

Would this run my whole camper I would not go crazy and use alot of stuff at one time.

But I am wondering if this would work and if anyone has tried it ???
hylasw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:20 AM   #2
jxnbbl

My trailer does not have an inverter. However I've used an inverter for the better part of 15 years in my tailgating activities. Where technically this would work (the plugs are activated)...will it work? It depends on what you want to run, how often how are you going to charge the batteries.

I can tell you from experience some examples - (crockpot) that it will draw your battery down quite a bit, until the inverter will shutdown itself as a last gasp to start your truck (tailgating). But if you are using it for a shorter period of time not a problem. If you need it to run a TV not a problem.

We will be installing an inverter with some solar option, but in reality it will be to run things like a TV, wireless cellular network (thats 12v anyways), etc and not have to run the generator and run the fridge/ hotwater on propane. That way really the propane is the resource that we monitor.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:33 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

You will nor your "entire camper" with a 3,000 watt inverter and 2 batteries. If your trailer is 30 amp service then 30 amps x 120 volte = 3,600 watts. That does not account for the "starting amperage" of the air conditioner. Running an extension cord out of the front compartment is not the "proper" way to do this. Curling irons and coffee makers are high amperage induction heaters. They will drain a battery VERY RAPIDLY. Do you have a plan to replenish the battery charge?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:41 AM   #4
Javi

Of course it can be done, it just requires a little money �� and space.
Battle Born will will become your new best friend.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:35 AM   #5
BookPaul74

I’m going to do it this winter in Arizona. 2020 when I purchased my 2014 Cougar 337fls I added four 6 volt batteries and a 1500 watt inverter. I ran a new wiring to the front entertainment center, it’s a front living room model. I would power the TV and the satellite service. I would at times plug in an extension cord and set a crockpot on the table to use.

But what I wanted to do was power the plugs and the microwave. So I’m taking a 50’ 12 ga extension cord to do the same thing. I will plug into the inverter and run it back to the 50 amp plug. I don’t want to power the other thing in the fifth wheel.

I also installed four 100 watt solar panels on the roof. Last year was an experiment to see just what I could power.

Friends last winter had installed a 800 watt system with a 2000 watt smart inverter and three lithium batteries to power everything in their fifth wheel, I certainly don’t want that bill. ��
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 04:53 AM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hylasw View Post
We are plan on doing alot of dry camping and want to use a few item in our camper when we are dry camping on our batteries such as TV, Satellite, wifes Curling iron, and maybe a coffee pot.

I seen a video where a guy mounted a 2000 watt inverter in front of 5th wheel by batteries then just plugs in a heavy duty extension cord runs it to back of trailer plugs the heavy duty cord into cord coming out of 5th wheel (same cord you plug into if you are plugged in at a campground) he uses a 15 amp to 50 amp adapter so it works. He then turns off convertor by breaker switch in camper so convertor is not on. He claims that will run his whole trailer but he doesn't go crazy and watches what he turns on.

My question is I have a 2012 High Country Cougar the cord that comes out of the camper is a 30 amp would I be able to purchase a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter then run a heavy duty extension cord to front of camper where my batteries are and put in a 3000 inverter in same area and plug heavy duty extension cord into my inverter, I understand you want to turn breaker off the convertor in your camper when you are running inverter.

Would this run my whole camper I would not go crazy and use alot of stuff at one time.

I’d want to know the rating on the receptacle that’s on the inverter. That’s the weak link in the chain for running electric to the rv.

I hardwired mine to my solar prepped outlets.

Theoretically you could do it but what if you run to the store for bread and milk and someone at the rv forgets and turn on a microwave or coffee pot and you melt the receptacle or catch the extension cord on fire.

It’s really not that much more work to just do it right and hardwire a couple outlets for things that you know are safe to power.
If you can’t isolate a circuit from the converter I’d imagine you could add a outlet somewhere in the bedroom and at least one in the kitchen area from the basement. Probably be cheaper then buying a cord and adaptor.

It often times takes more time and energy and money to cut corners just to make it “easier”
Old 06-26-2021, 06:19 AM   #7
dutchmensport

We all do it different, but wouldn't a generator just be easier?
Old 06-26-2021, 06:40 AM   #8
hylasw

We plan on doing a generator but we plan on doing some state campgrounds that have no power that you cannot run your generator at night and we would like to still have power to run TV and dish network. Here is the video that I seen

Old 06-26-2021, 08:40 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Most people who do "videos for YouTube" highlight their successes and either omit or downplay their problems......

What you need to do is build a system that is safe for use and that is rated for the power requirements you will need...

Running the entire trailer on a 2000 watt inverter is not a "easy to do" modification. First you will need either a "checklist sequence" to turn things on/off to prepare the trailer or you'll need to install a transfer switch that "disconnects the problem circuits that need to be turned off".

Next, you'll need to determine the battery storage requirements to power your "inverter". Wet cell batteries won't survive repeated deep discharge events, so you're looking at a 30-50% usable battery capacity. As an example, if you anticipate using 1000 "watts in an hour) then you'll need a battery bank that can provide 2000 watts in an hour so you maintain the batteries within their "rated capacity/discharge capability"....

It's not "plug in an inverter and then plug the trailer into that and we can go for weeks as long as we run a generator every now and then to recharge our two GP24 WalMart Everlast marine/RV deep cycle batteries that were $39.97 each on sale......

Also, remember that just like Ford/GM and Chrysler "up their tow ratings to sell cars" the inverter manufacturers and the generator manufacturers use two "entirely different rating systems to sell their products....

Inverters are rated/sold by continuous watt capability: 2000 watts continuous/4000 watts surge.

Generators are rated/sold by surge watt capability: 4000 watts surge/3400 watts continuous.....

So, what you're trying to do is "possible" but will take lots of planning and probably much more "wallet folding paper" than you are anticipating.....

And, we have not yet started talking about lithium battery banks or solar recharging systems to support a system of "the whole trailer" sized power requirements.... You're talking about a potential system that could easily cost well over $10K.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:40 AM   #10
notanlines

I might add, money that you will have to ‘live out’ to get it’s worth. This equipment is worth nothing on trade or resale.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:06 PM   #11
hylasw

How do you shut off power to convertor 2012 Keystone High Country Cougar ?

We want to run a plug from our inverter to in 2012 High Country Cougar to run a few things off of our batteries in our 5TH WHEEL. I was told you want to shut off your convertor to do this otherwise your batteries will go dead fast. I am trying to find a fuse in our camper to shut off the convertor none or labeled and cannot find the right one. Anyone know how to shut off the convertor ?
Old 06-28-2021, 09:13 PM   #12
B-O-B'03

In the power center of my camper there is a breaker labeled REC/CON and it is for the GFCI receptacles and the converter.

If your camper has a breaker with that label, turn it off, but, it will also turn off some of your outlets.

-Brian
Old 06-29-2021, 02:25 PM   #13
KimNTerry

I guess, I'm the outlier. I will tell you from personal experience that you can configure your trailer to run all outlets on a single large inverter. We have been doing this for 5 seasons on our current setup.

That being said, you need to know what your power requirements are and make a plan. You also need to understand electricity, how it all works (AC and DC) and how best to to use it BEFORE you make any changes to your rig.

I do not recommend using your trailer's electrical umbilical and remembering to open the breaker on your converter. It can work but IMO You're just asking for trouble. Get a transfer switch. It's worth it.

I installed an inverter charger with an automatic transfer switch. When it's plugged in to shore power it becomes a charger and 30 amp AC passes through to the trailer as soon as it is unplugged or loses current on the incoming side it changes to the inverter and continues to feed electricity to the rig.

Our particular inverter/Charger is an 1800 watt Modified Sine Wave inverter with a 40 Amp Charger

The I/C and wiring required to install was less than $700 all in.

I hope to upgrade this next year to a 2000 watt pure sine inverter with an 80 amp charger but we'll see.

Our converter is completely bypassed. We use the Inverter charger to charge and maintain our batteries. This works just fine for us when plugged in to shore power too.

Our Battery Bank is either 2 or 4 6 volt batteries depending on how long we plan on going out.

All outlets on the Trailer receive power.

You can't run the A/C on the inverter, The inverter will just fault and you have to reset it to get power restored. The same is true for the microwave, it just can't handle the starting amps. We don't miss using the microwave though.

Normally, I leave the breakers for the A/C, water Heater and Microwave open as we don't use those when we go dry camping which is more than 95% of the time as we generally don't like RV "Resorts" (parking lots?). We prefer forest service and state parks and if possible dispersed camping on public lands.

If you try running the absorption Refrigerator, or water heater on the inverter you will wear out your batteries quickly. These are more efficient on propane anyways.

I don't use a coffee maker in the trailer rather I boil a pan of water on the stove and pour it into a thermal carafe this way we have hot water for tea or coffee all morning. I do drink coffee and can't stand instant or percolator style coffee. I use a pour over system and either make a pot into a different thermal carafe or use a smaller single pour over style into a thermal mug. DW likes her tea also into a thermal mug.

We do like our toast and we do occasionally use a small electric toaster.

DW also likes to use her hair dryer after she washes her hair. We found a small hair dryer that runs on 1400 watts perfect for the camper.

At any rate, It can be done, just do your home work and understand what is happening with your electricity and how you use it.

Our first season, we used a small 150 watt inverter for the TV and ran a generator for everything else. We don't like running the generator it's noisy and smelly. So we installed an inverter charger and power the whole rig minus the items previously mentioned. Where we camo in the mountains (typically above 8,000 ft) we don't generally need A/C either.

My install is completely reversible in less than a day. As Jim mentioned above there is absolutely 0 additional value when it comes to trade or resale of the trailer but I can remove the items and revert the trailer to the stock configuration and either install the items in my next rig or sell separately.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:38 PM   #14
KimNTerry

Makes sure that breaker is off BEFORE you plug in the inverter. Some converters can be unplugged as well. Mine has a breaker.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:16 PM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
My thinking also!
A good 3500+ watt generator will cost less than 1 lithium battery not to mention less work.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:56 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNTerry View Post
I guess, I'm the outlier. I will tell you from personal experience that you can configure your trailer to run all outlets on a single large inverter. We have been doing this for 5 seasons on our current setup.

That being said, you need to know what your power requirements are and make a plan. You also need to understand electricity, how it all works (AC and DC) and how best to to use it BEFORE you make any changes to your rig.

I do not recommend using your trailer's electrical umbilical and remembering to open the breaker on your converter. It can work but IMO You're just asking for trouble. Get a transfer switch. It's worth it.

I installed an inverter charger with an automatic transfer switch. When it's plugged in to shore power it becomes a charger and 30 amp AC passes through to the trailer as soon as it is unplugged or loses current on the incoming side it changes to the inverter and continues to feed electricity to the rig.

Our particular inverter/Charger is an 1800 watt Modified Sine Wave inverter with a 40 Amp Charger

The I/C and wiring required to install was less than $700 all in.

I hope to upgrade this next year to a 2000 watt pure sine inverter with an 80 amp charger but we'll see.

Our converter is completely bypassed. We use the Inverter charger to charge and maintain our batteries. This works just fine for us when plugged in to shore power too.

Our Battery Bank is either 2 or 4 6 volt batteries depending on how long we plan on going out.

All outlets on the Trailer receive power.

You can't run the A/C on the inverter, The inverter will just fault and you have to reset it to get power restored. The same is true for the microwave, it just can't handle the starting amps. We don't miss using the microwave though.

Normally, I leave the breakers for the A/C, water Heater and Microwave open as we don't use those when we go dry camping which is more than 95% of the time as we generally don't like RV "Resorts" (parking lots?). We prefer forest service and state parks and if possible dispersed camping on public lands.

If you try running the absorption Refrigerator, or water heater on the inverter you will wear out your batteries quickly. These are more efficient on propane anyways.

I don't use a coffee maker in the trailer rather I boil a pan of water on the stove and pour it into a thermal carafe this way we have hot water for tea or coffee all morning. I do drink coffee and can't stand instant or percolator style coffee. I use a pour over system and either make a pot into a different thermal carafe or use a smaller single pour over style into a thermal mug. DW likes her tea also into a thermal mug.

We do like our toast and we do occasionally use a small electric toaster.

DW also likes to use her hair dryer after she washes her hair. We found a small hair dryer that runs on 1400 watts perfect for the camper.

At any rate, It can be done, just do your home work and understand what is happening with your electricity and how you use it.

Our first season, we used a small 150 watt inverter for the TV and ran a generator for everything else. We don't like running the generator it's noisy and smelly. So we installed an inverter charger and power the whole rig minus the items previously mentioned. Where we camo in the mountains (typically above 8,000 ft) we don't generally need A/C either.

My install is completely reversible in less than a day. As Jim mentioned above there is absolutely 0 additional value when it comes to trade or resale of the trailer but I can remove the items and revert the trailer to the stock configuration and either install the items in my next rig or sell separately.

I guess for a new owner the question is, what can I do and what does it cost? Right? I've camped for weeks on end without an RV. You can do the same with an RV....but you just do without stuff. As you add/desire amenities those things required to do that grow. You can still stay off grid, spend 20k on solar, inverters etc. and then think you are "camping" - you aren't. You just spent a fortune to be able to hang out in the boonies for a few days; something most folks don't want to do - I don't - spent years doing it so I now like a little better "accommodations".

I guess because one "can" do this or that and "loves" it does not mean that it works for the next guy....or anyone else. As we've seen some folks say they spend 5-10 days working on battery power alone (nothing else); you CAN do that but you can also do the same thing in a tent. That kind of camping only gives you a hard sided camping enclosure....and maybe an LP burner and hot water...maybe. To each his own; mine is a full service RV spot.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:41 AM   #17
bbells

Normally power going into the main shore power connector also runs the converter to charge the 12v battery and run the 12v circuits. I would strongly suggest isolating the converter from the circuit, or find a better way to run the power to bypass the converter circuit. I can't help but think you could have major problems if the inverter powering the camper is also powering the converter that charges the battery and powers the inverter.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:07 AM   #18
foldbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hylasw View Post

This is my second install, second trailer. 4KW LPG Onan - 4KW AIMS pure sign wave inverter. The inverter is a smart charger. It won't fry your batteries and charges fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_070650.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	34491   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_070724.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	34492   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_070806.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	34493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cougar Inverter-Generator Diagram.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	34494  

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:43 AM   #19
Ragermack

We do just what you are asking about 400 watts on the roof and 200 watts ground panels I seldom need to deploy so far. 2 100ah Battleborn batteries and a 3000 watt inverter that we plug the trailer into. Lights, microwave, coffee pot, charging phones computers. I converted the original battery bay to a connection bay. Where I tie in the solar panels and also plug in the trailer with a cord and adapters to the normal power inlet. I have the original converter breaker turned off in the breaker box. I installed a lithium converter in the power bay which I can plug in if needed when we are on shore power or if I use the generator. We don’t try to run the AC on the system but we have run the water heater on electric for a short period of time during s full sun period as Our igniter board is not working at the moment. I’ll stress that’s Just for a short time Ordinary usage we get down to around between 60% and 75% battery level overnight and get fully recharged by around 1 pm. Cloudy days we usually end up in the 90% charge range
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Ragermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:45 AM   #20
Rocketsled

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
We’re playing with portable solar, and upgraded the stock battery from 1 12v to 2 6v batteries…our last boondocking was the first real experience and 3 of the 4 days it was too overcast to really test the solar…which meant firing up the Jenny with 30 gallons of ‘liquid always on sunshine’.

The batteries dipped 40% each night (12.7 to something like 12.3), and the Onan topped them off each day in less than an hour.

As far as running a TV is concerned, if we can’t get HDTV over the air, you watch whatever is stored on your phone/tablet…which can be recharged off our battery bank.
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, cougar, inverter, keystone, power