Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2021, 07:53 AM   #1
Badcougar

Cougar Slide Not Level

We recently bought a 2021 cougar 30 RLS- first camping trip we noticed everything on dining table would roll toward window. Top of slide touches wall and bottom has 1 1/4 “ gap. Dealer has repaired it 3x and did best they could do but still not right- slide leans out. They moved dining table and shimmed legs now hits island bar when closed. Would you ask manufacturer to replace slide as dealer said they can’t do anything else. Thoughts..... thank you
Badcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:18 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcougar View Post
We recently bought a 2021 cougar 30 RLS- first camping trip we noticed everything on dining table would roll toward window. Top of slide touches wall and bottom has 1 1/4 “ gap. Dealer has repaired it 3x and did best they could do but still not right- slide leans out. They moved dining table and shimmed legs now hits island bar when closed. Would you ask manufacturer to replace slide as dealer said they can’t do anything else. Thoughts..... thank you
I’d find a different dealer repair shop. Might not be the easiest route but other then slim chance of talking to keystone direct I don’t know what your options are... sounds like just need to be adjusted properly. Looking at the uphill fight you may have I wonder if paying a mobile tech would be worth it to give you peace of mind and be able to use the trailer this camping season... can you get through the camping season and drop off for repair in winter? Get it in writing by the dealer though

Edit:after reading the posts prior to yours unless your within 90 days you may not have the warranty option
Old 05-30-2021, 12:04 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I moved these 2 posts to a new thread. The thread posted in was 3 years old. Hopefully a new thread will receive the responses the OP is looking for.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:12 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcougar View Post

Sounds to me like your dealer doesn't know they are doing. It sounds as if the slide (cable?) needs to be adjusted. Moving the table so that it hits the island and giving it to you that way supports my thoughts on them IMO.

Have you done any measuring or used a level to "see" what's going on? I don't guess I've ever had a slide that was perfectly level but I've not had one that was off by 1 1/4" either (adjustment). I seriously doubt Keystone will approve replacement of the slide....and I doubt they need to.

Slide adjustments are only covered for 90 days BUT you have had it in 3 times so it is a preexisting, incomplete repair so they might work with you. I would definitely look for a different dealer to repair it this go round though.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:51 PM   #5
LHaven

This problem is tickling my memory. I seem to remember a thread from a couple years ago about a fellow who was looking to purchase a particular Keystone model, but every one he found on the lot had this same defect -- the dinette hit the kitchen island. I think I remember he ended up beveling the island to create clearance, or maybe shifting the whole island at the floor joint. Now I'm wondering if this happens to be that same model.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:36 PM   #6
Old Mustanger

Shimming the table legs to make it level reminds me of the time the Chevy dealer put a stone between the exhaust pipe and the body of my Dad's station wagon to stop a rattle.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:43 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Sounds to me like your dealer doesn't know they are doing. It sounds as if the slide (cable?) needs to be adjusted. Moving the table so that it hits the island and giving it to you that way supports my thoughts on them IMO.

Have you done any measuring or used a level to "see" what's going on? I don't guess I've ever had a slide that was perfectly level but I've not had one that was off by 1 1/4" either (adjustment). I seriously doubt Keystone will approve replacement of the slide....and I doubt they need to.

Slide adjustments are only covered for 90 days BUT you have had it in 3 times so it is a preexisting, incomplete repair so they might work with you. I would definitely look for a different dealer to repair it this go round though.

The dealer has expertise! When I go to a restaurant where the table legs are uneven and the table rocks back and forth as you rest your elbows for a good feeding, I stuff napkins under the short leg... no more rocking. Same principal. Sorry but the dealer should know how to adjust a slide 1st time... if they can't after three tries, go elsewhere.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:05 AM   #8
Javi

As a note... I'd never want my slides to be perfectly level, I want the water to run off during a rain.

An 1-1/2" is probably excessive.

I might not even notice as we use non-slip, heat resistant placemats and coasters when we do a sit-down meal.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:34 AM   #9
dutchmensport

My Montana fifth wheel kitchen slide (Refrigerator and dining table and chairs) has a slight slope when fully extended. But looking at the slide when it's completely extracted, the outside is square and doesn't show any lean. The seals, inside and out, seal properly and everything looks good.

When the slide is closed, everything is square again. Top and bottom seals are sealed the same all the way around, inside and out. Top and bottom are the same distance from the trailer wall to the outer wall of slide, both in and out position.

So what gives?

The floor itself is sloped slightly, probably so it will left and slide in and out over the main trailer floor without hitting anything. So, I just live with it. I never thought about adjusting the legs of the chairs and table. We move them around too much to make that practical.

Your floor may have a slight slope too, but the top and bottom of the actual slide should hit the trailer walls the same, with no gaps. So, something is not right. To me, it sounds like an alignment fix, which is really not all that hard, no matter what type of slide mechanism yours has.

Is yours?

Electric motor or hydraulic?
Rack and Pinion?
Cable driven?
Schwintek slide?

https://toolbox.igus.com/motion-plas...out-mechanisms
Old 05-31-2021, 05:38 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
Shimming the table legs to make it level reminds me of the time the Chevy dealer put a stone between the exhaust pipe and the body of my Dad's station wagon to stop a rattle.
Sounds like a "rock solid" solution to me. Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:44 AM   #11
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
Hah! I had the exact opposite experience. Twice, my previous auto developed a "death rattle" style syndrome. Twice, the dealer found a pebble stuck in the suspension, and removing it fixed the problem.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:06 AM   #12
jasin1

One other thing I would add is ..are you sure the trailer itself is relatively level? Is that exaggerating the slide being out of level? Have you tried using a 3’ level on your floor in the kitchen by the entrance door? Check it for left to right and front and back? ..I’ve read where the auto level is sometimes “not level” and has to be dialed in and reset