Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #21
mhs4771

Everyone talks about the price difference between Gas and Diesel, especially for us when not towing. Well I know lots of folks with their big gas TVs that get 8 to 10 towing and not much better solo, friends were pleased when they went from their 6-7 MPG Dodge/5er to 8-9 MPG MH. My Diesel Dually gets 10 to 12 towing and 17 to 20 Solo, so for our usage (Long Timers) Diesel is the best choice. You have to weigh the pros and cons of everything, not just look at one aspect. Just my nickel's worth (inflation)
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #22
wincrasher

I'm loving my new truck. But I think the argument really is not gas/diesel, but one of HD vs LD.

When I bought mine, it wasn't outrageously more expensive than the gas engine - maybe $5k more. Compared to a light duty truck, it was more like $15k!

I consistently get 21-22 mpg on rural highways. 12 when towing. So that was a happy surprise. Most guys I know at work with HD trucks with gas engines report single digit mpg unloaded!

My first consideration was safety. I was convinced that I would have more peace of mind with an HD truck. Not having it constantly bleed me dry at the gas pump just made it more palatable to own. Also, I'm hoping that the residual value of my diesel truck is higher when it comes time to replace it - hopefully no earlier than ten years from now.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #23
azr405

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsb View Post
We have 2001 GMC 3500 CC DRW with the 8.1 gas and Allison auto trans. We pull a 2010 Fuzion 383 touring Edition 11 toyhauler with a Harley Tri Glide in the garage. We are fulltimers and started traveling this year putting 15,000 miles on since June. From Texas to Alaska and back to Texas with 6 weeks on the Oregon coast. A few places along the way we were slow going up hills but still made it to top and down the other side, I personaly don't mind slow only drive about 60 mph anyway. Would a new diesel truck be nice, heck yea. But we had the '01 GMC a long time and to trade and spend $40,000 to $50,000 just to get 4 more mpg and pull a little faster could not justifiy cost. To each their own for us it was keep what we had and spend the money seeing this beautiful country. Not aginst diesels just aginst spending money not working and no pay check for a couple of years makes you look at things a little differently. Thankful for what we have and are able to see. George
Most important thing I figure is that you are out enjoying the beautiful countryside and as long as that is still happening you can pull with whatever you like as it is the enjoyment of RVing that is number 1
azr405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:35 AM   #24
cpaulsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I'm loving my new truck. But I think the argument really is not gas/diesel, but one of HD vs LD.

When I bought mine, it wasn't outrageously more expensive than the gas engine - maybe $5k more. Compared to a light duty truck, it was more like $15k!

I consistently get 21-22 mpg on rural highways. 12 when towing. So that was a happy surprise. Most guys I know at work with HD trucks with gas engines report single digit mpg unloaded!

My first consideration was safety. I was convinced that I would have more peace of mind with an HD truck. Not having it constantly bleed me dry at the gas pump just made it more palatable to own. Also, I'm hoping that the residual value of my diesel truck is higher when it comes time to replace it - hopefully no earlier than ten years from now.
Unloaded in my F350/V-10/CC/LB/4x4...I get between 9-10.5 loaded and 14-16 mpg empty.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:20 AM   #25
oldfamer

With my 2011 chevy 2500HD with 6.0 gasser, I get 15-16 empty and 8-9 pulling my 10K fifth wheel. In my area diesel is .90 cents a gallon higher than gas. I only pull my 5er 3000 or 4000 miles a year. I drive to many miles driving empty to justify the $8000 price difference of the diesel engine and the price of fuel.
oldfamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:59 AM   #26
wincrasher

where I am, the difference is about 60 cents. So I figure the break-even is 4 mpg difference - so a gasser would need to get 18 mpg to be equivalent to the diesel getting 22mpg.

So, it would take many miles to make up for the difference in upfront and maintenance cost. So then you'd have to consider longevity and resale.

So it may or may not make economic sense depending on your usage, or be marginal difference at best.

So then it gets back to usability and comfort doing your towing, and satisfaction with performance. So do you buy a truck that is precisely matched to what you are towing right now, or do you buy something that can handle alot bigger load in the future? Do you buy more than you need now, so you are ready for something that may or may not happen later?
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #27
2011 keystone

So do you buy a truck that is precisely matched to what you are towing right now, or do you buy something that can handle alot bigger load in the future? Do you buy more than you need know, so you are ready for something that may or may not happen later

I whent bigger with my truck for just the reason you stated. we plan on buying a 5er in the next year or so.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #28
Hansel

You have one of the best diesel engines International has ever made, Period!!!! The junk that has come out since 2003 6.0L garbage and it's not getting any better from Ford I would not want to have too go out and replace my 7.3L because I'd have to find another 7.3L. Ya the price of diesel stinks I love my truck just not when I take it too the pump ($4.09) IMHO if you go with a gas truck you will replace long before you will a diesel, so are you really saving any money??? Probably not in the long run, so you pay alittle more at the pump but your truck will outlast and pull any gas motor out there. My truck has over 225,000 miles and half of it's life as been pulling my Laredo and the marching band 28ft trailer all over NE Georgia, and knock on wood the only thing I've replaced is the tranny. I bet a gas truck with that kind of mileage has more work done on it than a diesel.
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #29
Str8shooter

My 2011 Ford F250 6.7L 4x4 Super Duty diesel is a great TV. Purchased in June 2010 it has about 34,000 miles on it now. During trips on level highways at 65 mph it averages 20 mpg and with the 36' 12K Raptor toyhauler behind the average is 11 mpg. Over mountain highways 9 to 10 mpg is the norm. The best part? That's easy, its the pulling power and ease which the truck handles the load - something to be said for 400 hp and 800 lbs of torque. A joy to drive with or without the Raptor, which by the way, has well over 5,000 miles on it behind the truck.

Ford's new diesel engine is, and I'm speaking from experience, one great piece of engineering. I will never say its perfect, but it is pretty sweet. I did my homework and research and picked the new diesel after driving many other vehicles over the years. For sure I'm no "Ford guy" since my last Ford was a '66 Mustang I bought in 1968. Sure wish I had kept it - LOL.

I'd bet Chevy and Dodge have some pretty nice offerings also, but this diesel is no piece of junk.

Just saying. . .

Rick & Carol
16k Pullrite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
2011 Polaris Ranger XP 800
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #30
RCrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8shooter View Post
My 2011 Ford F250 6.7L 4x4 Super Duty diesel is a great TV. Purchased in June 2010 it has about 34,000 miles on it now. During trips on level highways at 65 mph it averages 20 mpg and with the 36' 12K Raptor toyhauler behind the average is 11 mpg. Over mountain highways 9 to 10 mpg is the norm. The best part? That's easy, its the pulling power and ease which the truck handles the load - something to be said for 400 hp and 800 lbs of torque. A joy to drive with or without the Raptor, which by the way, has well over 5,000 miles on it behind the truck.

Ford's new diesel engine is, and I'm speaking from experience, one great piece of engineering. I will never say its perfect, but it is pretty sweet. I did my homework and research and picked the new diesel after driving many other vehicles over the years. For sure I'm no "Ford guy" since my last Ford was a '66 Mustang I bought in 1968. Sure wish I had kept it - LOL.

I'd bet Chevy and Dodge have some pretty nice offerings also, but this diesel is no piece of junk.

Just saying. . .
Just don't get the fuel tank and the DEF tank confused. You might not like your Ford any more. I've read some horror stories.

I used to own diesels because they were cheaper to drive. Not so much anymore.

I have a diesel now because I love them. The smell. The sound (love that straight pipe growl). The power.
And mainly because it makes the "green" people unhappy

My truck just wasted the fuel that your hybrid saved...
Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:20 AM   #31
geo

Str8shooter is so right. The 2011 Ford introduced the new Ford designed and built diesel engine. And to confuse the diesel and DEF fill points would take some real work. The DEF port is too small in diameter to put a diesel nozzle in. One would really have to be determined to do just that, and then probably spill diesel everywhere while filling. The International engine in a Ford truck is no more.

And it is a "green" diesel. The DEF is deionized water and urea. The exhaust reactor is silicon ceramic (very common and inexpensive) coated with a copper/zinc film. The DEF converts the NOx to water and nitrogen.

Both DW and I love driving The Beast. And our daughter is jealous!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:20 AM   #32
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingji View Post
Any of ya in the same circumstances and having the same thoughts? Jimmy
No I'm not having the same thoughts and I just filled up yesterday at $4.25 a gallon. Depending on what happens this year it may get to $10 a gallon but for a TV I wouldn't trade my Diesel for anything.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #33
RCrawler

The problems start when you accidentally pour DEF into the fuel tank. Not so much of an issue if you fill your own truck, but on large fleets where you have multiple uneducated drivers.
The DEF is corrosive which will damage the fuel system. And once it gets to the injectors, it can destroy major hard engine parts.

Jason

Old 03-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #34
jsmith948

Wow, lots of good comments regarding gas vs diesel.
If the long term operation (initial cost, fuel & maint, longevity) of gas rigs was cheaper than diesel, the trucking industry would be using gas engines and the petro industry would be trying to give their diesel away.
As far as the DEF being an issue, it works out to about $ 0.001 per mile, dependikng on your right foot and the use of cruise control (the less you "fan" the throttle the less the system uses)
We love our new Ford diesel!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #35
RCrawler

DEF is a good thing. I'm all for anything that reduces EGR duty cycle and increases fuel mileage.

Jason